12 Things I Love About SUMMER!

I could write a book about why I love summer so much. :)

Why I LOVE summer!_

When I was growing up – before Facebook and cell phones and iPads and wireless internet – my instant messenger and AOL screen name was SummrGirl142!  Or something like that.  Remember instant messenger? It was the rage.

I grew up spending my summers in the pool. I swam on a swim team and would spend hours outside with my friends.  I’d come home and spend even more time in our backyard pool (with my best friend, Katy – hi Katy!). At night, we’d play manhunt – running all over the neighborhood hiding and seeking.  We’d rent movies (VHS!) and eat microwave popcorn.  One summer, I was skimming our pool getting all the bugs out and fell right in – clothes and all!

Why I love SUMMER!

As I got older, I’d frequent the Jersey shore with my friends. And no, it is not the stereotypical Jersey shore you have in mind!  I’d go to Avalon, Ocean City, Long Beach Island, and Cape May.

I worked at a snack bar and the front desk of a local pool when I was 17 and 18.  You couldn’t get me away from the water!

Live in the sunshine

Summers are carefree; full of fresh air, starry nights, beach days, and popsicles.   Here are the top 12 things I love about this short season. What do you love about summer?

1) Sundresses! Lots of sundresses. All different patterns. Flowy, casual, strappy, bright colors, and lightweight.  I have about 30 of them!

I love this look from Target. I get a lot of my sundress from there for super cheap.

Target Sundress

2) Music Festivals!  My friends and I go to one each summer. I don’t have any lined up for this summer (cookbook writing is taking over!), but I always have a blast at Lollapalooza or All Good.

Music Festivals

3) Beach Hair!  When you can put that straightener away and just let it all go.  My hair is a mess in the Baltimore humidity, but when I go to the beach – I soak up the salty air!

Salt Hair, Don't Care!

4) Flip flops.  I told you this in my 27 odds + ends about Sally, but I live in my flip flops from April – October.  They’re my slippers. I resist the need to put on anything else (besides my running kicks!)  even when the late September breeze comes.

Anyone else like that?

Why I love SUMMER - Flip Flop Girl!

Flip Flops

5) Suntans.  I have the need to get as tan as possible (with sunscreen of course!) and maintain my tan for as long as possible.

Why I love SUMMER!

Beach Days!

6) Beachy Drinks. AKA “boat drinks.”  I am a sucker for those frozen umbrella drinks. Nothing says relaxation more. Margaritas and pina coladas are my favorite!

Why I love SUMMER - Fruity Summer Drinks.

Even better when the drink is bikini-friendly!  Add some rum to my Skinny Strawberry Milkshakes. YUM!

Skinny Strawberry Banana Milkshake! No added sugar and completely healthy.

7) Frozen Yogurt & Ice Cream. Enough said.

The best thing about summer? Frozen Yogurt!

Why I love SUMMER - ice cream!

8) Long days. More time to play outside with Jude!

Playing with Jude

Jude

9) Trips to Deep Creek Lake.  Last summer, Kevin’s family and I went to Deep Creek Lake on vacation. It was a blast! Despite it raining for most of the trip. We are headed there again this August!

Kevin took me back to Deep Creek Lake in January and Swallow Falls is where he proposed. :)

Deep Creek Lake

10) Summer Fruits!  I am a fruit-lover. Total fruit-aholic.  Give me a fruity dessert over chocolate any day. Seriously, not lying. Love them.

So many dessert and baked good recipes using summer fruits, including Blueberry Sweet Rolls, Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes, Blueberry Pie Bars, Key Lime Pie Squares, and more!

Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
Apple Blueberry Pie Bars
Raspberry Chocolate Chip Muffins
Blueberry Sweet Rolls
Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake Bars
Key Lime Pie Squares

Desserts with Summer Fruits -  Baked Strawberry Frosted Donuts, Pineapple Upside Down Cake, Peach Pie Muffins!

Strawberry Frosted Donuts
Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Peach Pie Muffins

Fruity Summer Recipes including Skinny Tropical Muffins, Skinny Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins, and Strawberry Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars!

Skinny Tropical Muffins
Skinny Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins
Strawberry Swirl Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars

11) Road trips!  Easy-going, fun, and laid back.

Kevin and I plan to take a road trip next June (2014) after my cookbook is out and a few months before our wedding.  Stopping in Cleveland to visit my best friend Marie, St.Louis to see my sister Sarah, Colorado to visit Kevin’s friends, Utah to visit Kevin’s friends, Las Vegas to visit Kevin’s sister and niece, and sunny California to visit Kevin’s friends.  Yep, we’re bringing Jude!

Roadtrips!

I make Tropical Granola for road trips. Toasted coconut, mango, bananas, cashews, and pecans. So many different tastes and textures, the perfect snack to munch on the road!

Tropical Granola-9

12) The fact that “Anything Goes.”  It’s summer.  Time for an adventure or time to relax.  Ice cream for dinner and drink a margarita for lunch. Live in a bathing suit and paint your nails bright orange. Neon colors, outdoor concerts, country music, beach chairs, iced coffee, juicy peaches, ice cream, sand in your toes, 8pm runs, and big sunglasses.

What does SUMMER mean to you?

HELLO SUMMER!

Why I love SUMMER!

80 Responses to “12 Things I Love About SUMMER!”

Erinposted July 3, 2013 at 9:30 am

Ok, that picture of you and Jude is precious! He loves you. I love the laid-back feelings that go with summer. Definitely my favorite season for many reasons though, especially your ice cream and fro yo reason. :)

• Sallyreplied on July 3rd, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Yes, that’s one of the most important reasons, right?! Thanks Erin and have a GREAT summer!

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreatposted July 3, 2013 at 9:43 am

Summer is definitely my fav season too! I just love it! Some of my summer favs are the same as yours…I love sundresses, sandals, long days, summer fruit, outdoor BBQs, the hot sun, the beach, the flowers…I could keep going! ;-) Lets just say it’s the BEST time of the year!

• Sallyreplied on July 3rd, 2013 at 1:46 pm

outdoor BBQs – yes! I forgot that reason. That’s definitely on my list too. Always so much fun. Have a great summer Holly!

Kayle (The Cooking Actress)posted July 3, 2013 at 9:58 am

Yayyyyy!!! Summer is my favorite and sun dresses and flip flops and sunshine ahhhhhh

• Sallyreplied on July 3rd, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Sundresses and flip flops and sunshine. I am content with those three things for sure. Have a great summer Kayle!

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Healthposted July 3, 2013 at 10:00 am

I love how colorful this post (and all of your posts) are! That dress is so cute, great find! And I loved seeing pics of your cute pup Jude and that beautiful Dry Creek Lake. Love it!
    Happy Summer and have a great 4th Sally! :)

• Sallyreplied on July 3rd, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Thanks Sarah – and you too, have a great summer!

Tieghanposted July 3, 2013 at 10:04 am

This is such a fun post! I love all your summer favs! That road trip next summer sounds insane and so fun!
    Happy warm, sunny summer days Sally!

• Sallyreplied on July 3rd, 2013 at 1:44 pm

I can’t wait for the roadtrip Tieghan! I hope you have a wonderful summer my friend.

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girlposted July 3, 2013 at 10:13 am

This post has inspired me to go buy a ice cream cone today. The world needs more ice cream cones in it! Also Target is the best summer dress on the cheap shopping place.. I love it! I’ve gotten a few things this summer there and everyone is always shocked when I tell them it’s from Target.

• Sallyreplied on July 3rd, 2013 at 1:43 pm

I agree – more ice cream cones, please. Love Target for inexpensive dresses!

shelbyposted July 3, 2013 at 10:15 am

Ummmmm I think you should stop and do a book signing in Georgia! Just sayin ;)

• Sallyreplied on July 3rd, 2013 at 1:43 pm

I would love that next summer Shelby!

Averie @ Averie Cooksposted July 3, 2013 at 10:17 am

June 2014 – Cali trip. Cannot believe you can plan 1 year out. I can’t plan 1 day out :) But book it baby – drinks are on me :)

And you’re looking mighty buff and fabulous in this pics. Your arms look so good. Must be from lugging around the 12 lb camera + lens all day long.

I love summer too. Which is why I live in San Diego. So I can wear flip flops all year :) Love these posts, girl. Always a breath of fun, fresh, wonderful air!

• Sallyreplied on July 3rd, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Yes! It’s from heavy lifting 10 lb bags of flour and a 12 lb camera all day long! And moving my furniture all around to get that perfect light. Such is our lives!! Happy summer Averie! So soon you’ll be in Aruba.

Karlyposted July 3, 2013 at 10:20 am

Yes, to all of this! Especially beach hair and flip flops!

Emily {Pink Tiger in the Kitchen}posted July 3, 2013 at 10:23 am

Oh man! I wish I was as excited for summer as you are!! Most of the things that I “enjoy” about summer, I enjoy in January since it’s just so.darn.hot. all year round. I do have to say that I love sundresses and flipflops though!! They help me melt a little less :)

• Sallyreplied on July 3rd, 2013 at 1:33 pm

sundresses and flip flops – my favorite outfit to wear. And so darn comfortable! Thanks Emily.

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweetposted July 3, 2013 at 10:24 am

This is such a great post! Great to remind us what summer can be and how we should jut kick up our feet and relax when we have the time!!!

• Sallyreplied on July 3rd, 2013 at 1:32 pm

That is what summer is all about! I hope you have a great one Nancy.

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishesposted July 3, 2013 at 10:32 am

I love sundresses in the summer, too! And I buy most of mine at Target :)

• Sallyreplied on July 3rd, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Seriously – LOVE target for dresses!

Jennie @themessybakerblogposted July 3, 2013 at 10:58 am

I forgot how close we live. I pretty much do the same things in the summer. Manhunt… I played that game into the wee hours of the night when I was a kid. Have a great Fourth!

• Sallyreplied on July 3rd, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Manhunt – the good old days. So much fun! Have a great 4th to you too, Jennie!

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchenposted July 3, 2013 at 11:24 am

Loving this post, girl! I grew up with a pool, too. My sister and I were amphibious during the summer. We’d go straight from our jammies into our “babin’ suits” as we called them in the summer. (Yes, we were little tarts. We were going babin’ vs. bathing in the pool, LOL!) I’m a big fan of flip flops (wearing them now as I work in the kitchen!). But, you really had me at, “Ice cream for dinner and drink a margarita for lunch.” I like where your head is at! Have a happy and safe 4th! xo

• Sallyreplied on July 3rd, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Sounds like you are a true summer gal Stacy! I work in my flip flops too. :) Have a great summer!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cookingposted July 3, 2013 at 11:54 am

I tell ya, I was always a winter girl. Still am a little since I can’t stand being overly hot! But living in Austin, I’m really warming (har har) to the beauty of summer. There’s so much to love about it… and you described it so well in this upbeat, cheerful post! You’ve got me excited for the season, Sally! :)

• Sallyreplied on July 3rd, 2013 at 1:30 pm

I secretly like winter too. Likes cozy sweaters and boots. :) Austin heat – I don’t know how you bear it, Georgia. Have a great summer!

Mimi @ Culinary Coutureposted July 3, 2013 at 12:16 pm

I love this post Sally! It’s a wonderful glimpse into your life :) I hope you have an awesome summer! It’s been all thunderstorms here in Jersey so far but hopefully it will get better!

• Sallyreplied on July 3rd, 2013 at 1:29 pm

It’s been all thunderstorms here this week too, Mimi! Praying for sunshine.

Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Lifeposted July 3, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Oh, I dearly love summer:) For me, it means strawberry shortcake, running through sprinklers in the backyard, tank tops and flip flops, jet skiing at the lake, staying up late since the sun never goes down;) and celebrating all things frozen fruit!!! This was a fun post and it was great to see all those pictures! Jude is so cute! :)

• Sallyreplied on July 3rd, 2013 at 1:28 pm

running through sprinklers! How did I forget that. So much fun Mary Frances! Have a wonderful summer!

Gloria @ Simply Gloriaposted July 3, 2013 at 12:22 pm

I love everything about this post! My favorite part about summer is also going to all the concerts and playing in the pool with the kids. (People mistaken us as a California family…bcz we’re all blonde and tan!)
    Thanks for sharing Sally!

• Sallyreplied on July 3rd, 2013 at 1:26 pm

I hope you all have a GREAT summer Gloria! xo

Kellyposted July 3, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Great post Sally! Love summer time for all the things you’ve mentioned here – especially the sundresses (from Target too), fruits and ice cream:)) Great photos and thanks for sharing :)

• Sallyreplied on July 3rd, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Yes! Practically all of my sundresses are Target. So inexpensive!

Anna {Herbivore Triathlete}posted July 3, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Your post totally has me excited for summer!

Unfortunately, I have to spend my days stuck inside an office working :-( Evenings and weekends I enjoy many of the same things you listed though!

I love seeing my kids enjoy summer, the fact that it’s daylight when I come home and can go for a run or bike ride outside, WARMTH (I am always freezing, even on 70 degree days!), flip flops are a must for sure.

This summer we are going to Disney World, so am definitely looking forward to taking my kids there and am excited to share their excitement!

• Sallyreplied on July 3rd, 2013 at 1:24 pm

I spend a lot of my days indoors too, but when I get outside – nothing compares! I love the warm weather too. Have fun in Disney World! The kids will have a blast I’m sure.

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine)posted July 3, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I totally agree with you! Summer is the best of all the seasons.

• Sallyreplied on July 3rd, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Yes it is! Thanks Ashley, have a great summer!

Brittanyposted July 3, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Miss our Cape May days Sal!!! Love you and you are truly THE SummerGirl :-) xoxo

• Sallyreplied on July 3rd, 2013 at 1:22 pm

I miss them dearly, Brittany!! And miss YOU! xo

Becky @ Olives n Wineposted July 3, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Confession: I also live in my flip flops from April-October and although I’m not allowed to wear them at work, I don’t put on real shoes unless I have to go to a meeting ;)

• Sallyreplied on July 3rd, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Hahahahaha best confession ever.

Shainaposted July 3, 2013 at 1:58 pm

I love everything about this post! Especially that you used to go to the beaxh in Ocean city. me too! I am from South Jersey, about 10 min from there and often spent time there. i mostly would go to the beach in margate and longport though. Summer is my favorite time of year, too! There’s nothing better than feeling the sand in your toes and sun in your face, frozen drink in hand and a nice golden tan :)

• Sallyreplied on July 3rd, 2013 at 7:09 pm

10 minutes from the beach? How lucky! Yes to the frozen drink, sun, sand, and tan. ;)

Maggie @ Sunnyside Up Smileposted July 3, 2013 at 2:22 pm

This post is so cute Sally! I love summer too! It makes me feel so free and alive ;) I’m from Jersey and I went to Cape May almost every summer when I was younger. I loved it there! I remember I would always go out in the waves with the “big kids” and I felt so cool. I got the worst sunburns there though. I used to be on a swim team also! I love the water. I am such a water baby. I would have to say my favorite things about summer are meals outside, beach days and summer fruits.

• Sallyreplied on July 3rd, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Sounds like we have a ton in common. And Cape May is wonderful, isn’t it? My good friend got marries by the ferry last year. :)

Zainab @ Blahnik Bakerposted July 3, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Sally I love this post because I love everything about summer you listed! Especially the frozen drinks and flip flops! I wear closed toed shoes in lab all year round and summer is the one time of the year my feet can be free :) Have a great summer!

Celineposted July 3, 2013 at 4:27 pm

I love Cape May! Cutest beach town ever :).

Caleyposted July 3, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Summer is so great! I’m a four-seasons girl, and I’m so thankful that Colorado has them all, but summer is fantastic. I’m obsessed with flowers. It’s impossible for me to walk by without smelling them and taking their picture. ;) Plus I love amazing sunsets and sunrises (yep, I’m up for the sunrise…at 5 a.m. Early bird!), and I have a great view from the field right behind my house. I actually try to AVOID getting tan, but I have an aversion to sunscreen, so I end up getting a bit of one. I used to be a springboard/platform diver, and summer meant outdoor practices and competitions! I miss that. Thanks for this fun list!

• Sallyreplied on July 3rd, 2013 at 7:07 pm

It sounds like you always stop by and smell the roses. That’s a wonderful thing, Caley! Love sunsets and it sounds like you wake up around I do. :) Happy summer!

Ari @ Ari's Menuposted July 3, 2013 at 4:59 pm

I love everything about summer aside from the fact that Phoenix over the summer is actually pretty miserable, but I work on the school schedule so summertime means freedom, and getting to go away to camp like a little kid, and a break to get ready for the next year! And obviously sun dresses. ;)

• Sallyreplied on July 3rd, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Stay cool, Ari!

Chung-Ah | Damn Deliciousposted July 3, 2013 at 5:22 pm

I LOVE flip flops! Living in LA, I think I wear flip flops all year long.

Oh and your screename is hilarious. Mine was chungiwungi22. So embarrassing.

• Sallyreplied on July 3rd, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Hahahaha chungiwungi. I love it! :)

aimee @ like mother like daughterposted July 3, 2013 at 5:45 pm

oh I just love this! Now I want to do a post on my blog about what I love about summer. Summer is heaven. Bright nail polish, flip flops, summer dresses, the beach? Seriously heaven.

I’m sure you will be busy. But I would love to see you when you come to Utah! There are so many of us food bloggers here and a blogger lunch would be seriously amazing. Anyway, love this post :)

Amyposted July 3, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Oh summer… I love ice cream and frozen yogurt, night walks after the sun goes down, flip flops and bare feet, sun rises and sun sets, afternoon naps, watermelon and strawberries and blueberries, fresh corn, tank tops, sun dresses… Yup, pretty much everything you listed!

You’re coming to California?? How fun! I wish you’d stop by and see me! ;)

• Sallyreplied on July 4th, 2013 at 8:08 am

watermelon and fresh corn – two favorites. :)

Emiliaposted July 3, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Love how upbeat this post is! Summer is one of my favorite seasons as well for two main reasons: the sun and the not-being cold. Perhaps that’s more of a reason why winter is not my favorite, hmm…
    and flip flops totally rule.

• Sallyreplied on July 4th, 2013 at 8:08 am

“No being cold” – yes! lol

Megan @ For the Love of Cookiesposted July 3, 2013 at 8:53 pm

I love this post! It’s making me all nostalgic and whatnot! Playing outside, catching fireflies, sleeping in late, eating the popsicles in plastic tubes until my mouth hurts. Good times! Sadly it’s been nothing but rain for like the past week. :(
    I eat ice cream and froyo all year round but in the summer we get to enjoy it outside ;)
    Hoping for sun!

• Sallyreplied on July 4th, 2013 at 8:07 am

It’s been raining here nonstop too. Today is the first day of sunshine! I loved those push up pops too!

Faith @ Pixie Dust Kitchenposted July 3, 2013 at 10:06 pm

I LIVE in Target sundresses during the summer. I love summer so much! Music festivals, fresh fruit, and swimming are always a must for the summer!

Renee @ Awesome on $20posted July 3, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Out here in Hawaii we wear flip flops every day, but you have to call them slippahs! I used to work in a store that sold nothing but flip flops. You’d love it!

• Sallyreplied on July 4th, 2013 at 8:05 am

Yes. I would LOVE it!

Sally Chippendaleposted July 3, 2013 at 11:40 pm

I loved reading this post. I’m missing Summer so much its deep Aussie winter here at the moment, so well below 70F and we’ve got the heaters going non stop. I used to love Summer for all the same reasons as yourself, but now I have kids, I love Summer because I don’t have to peg hundreds of socks on the line and the kids live in a t-shirt shorts. I love flip flops too. Ooh hurry up Summer!

Jocelyn @BruCrew Lifeposted July 4, 2013 at 12:04 am

Yay for everything summer…especially the beach hair, flip flops, and sundresses!! Such a fun post Sally!

Jessposted July 4, 2013 at 3:13 am

I loved this Ode to Summer, Sally! I was just back in the U.S. for a couple weeks, and I soaked up as much summer goodness as possible – I was all over the flip-flops, beachiness, road tripping, and berries! It’s eternal summer here, but it’s never quite the same as the real deal at home.

• Sallyreplied on July 4th, 2013 at 7:59 am

I bet you loved every minute of it Jess!

Jamie @lifelovelemonsposted July 4, 2013 at 6:08 am

10…. especially #10.

Laura Dembowskiposted July 6, 2013 at 9:08 pm

I love summer too, Sally! The hot weather and long days are the best. It makes everything more fun and there’s no worrying if snow is going to cancel your plans or covering you clothes with a coat. It’s my goal to move to California asap! I need summer year round!

• Sallyreplied on July 7th, 2013 at 9:12 am

I need summer year round too, Laura!

Mollie @Sprinkles of Lifeposted July 10, 2013 at 10:24 am

Love everything about this post! Although, I’m in Iowa and the humidity is KILLER in the summer! By August, I’m always more than ready for Fall!!! That’s my absolute favorite time of year!

• Sallyreplied on July 10th, 2013 at 11:21 am

Hey Mollie! Thanks for the comment – and yes, I adore the fall too! I crave fuzzy sweaters and pumpkin by the time September comes!

BangkokBakingBonanzaposted July 11, 2013 at 4:49 am

I have just recently found your blog and I love it! I have been making a lot of your tropical recipes (because there is an abundance of tropical fruits here in Thailand!).

The way people look forward to the summer in the west is very different from where I am living in Thailand. People here HATE the sun; its is around ALL year and we have no other seasons other than summer. The sun also make our skin tan (which the tourists who come here LOVE but we hate) and it takes us a fortune to buy extra strong sunscreen and whitening creams. But hey, we get to enjoy frozen treats all year round don’t we? Anyways, have a great summer!

• Sallyreplied on July 11th, 2013 at 11:37 am

So glad that you’re making a few of my recipes! That’s always great to hear. I can imagine things being much different in other parts of the world like Thailand. I bet sunscreen gets VERY pricey all year round. It’s expensive for just one bottle!

LauraGMGposted August 6, 2013 at 11:39 am

Great list–I spent a lot of summers at the Jersey Shore, too. If anyone wants to check out my list, I wrote about how much I love summer this morning (we have some overlap, I think some things are universal!). I’ll definitely be trying some of your recipes.

• Sallyreplied on August 6th, 2013 at 4:38 pm

So fun!! Let me know any recipes you make, enjoy!