Vacation at the Lake. ☀

Jude

Do these make my nose look big?!

Kevin’s family and I went on a fabulous vacation to Deep Creek Lake last week.  7 days of relaxation – some days there was rain, some days there was sunshine.  If you follow me on Instagram, you got a taste of our wonderful vacation! I definitely uploaded a new photo every 5 minutes.

It was Kevin’s 27th birthday while we were there. (Yep, I’m a year older than him. But I look younger, right?!) We ate frozen peanut butter and mint chocolate chip pies, drank sangria, played Taboo, and shot pool.  Hikes to waterfalls, long dog walks, antique store shopping, and veggies on the grill. There was lots of beer, food, laughter, and more beer.

I went on lakeside runs with my future sister-in-law (and bridesmaid!) Kerry, we ate s’mores by the campfire, went to the beach with Kevin’s niece, and took plenty of pictures to capture it all. And ate more s’mores after that.

DCL15

Roadtrippin’ :D

Jude’s pumped for vacay!

DCL19

Don’t worry, Jude – we won’t leave you!

DCL19-9

The sun shone bright on our drive there.

DCL19-8

Healthy road trip snack: Homemade Baked Apple Chips

DCL19-10

Gorgeous lakeside view from our back porch.

DCL19-7Deep Creek Lake

It was breathtaking!

DCL19-11

We went on a hike to the waterfalls in Swallow Falls State Park.

DCL19-2

We’ve been there a few times before.

Swallow Falls is where Kevin proposed 7 months ago!

DCL19-14DCL19-13DCL19-12

DCL

The water was very muddy after the rain one day.

PS: that’s the exact spot where Kevin got on one knee last January!

DCL1

We celebrated Kevin’s birthday with sparklers.

DCL19-16roasting marshmallows

And s’mores.

It was National S’mores Day, after all.

DCL2

And Skinny Frozen Peanut Butter Pie.

Skinny Mint Chocolate Chip Pie-2

And Skinny Frozen Mint Chocolate Chip Pie, too!

There were 12 of us and we were at a higher elevation, so I just figured it would be easier to make no-bake treats for Kevin’s birthday dessert. No body seemed to mind!

DCL19-15

Yes, we look like axe murderers.

There wasn’t a food processor at the lake house, so I couldn’t grind the Oreos for the pie crusts. I had to crumble them in a large ziplock bag.  Because of this, the frozen pies were very hard to cut!

Other delicious treats:

DCL4

I’ll take two, please.

DCL19-5

Summer in a bottle.

DCL19-3

Dried kiwi – so tasty!

DCL6

M&Ms for breakfast. Why not?

Kevin and Sally

It was the best vacation!

Kevin had just finished summer classes and I had finished the first half of my cookbook manuscript (cookbook release = Spring 2014).  We both needed some rest and relaxation.

Back to work and back to reality.

☆ More trips this month

• My sister Sarah is flying into Philly to see my parents next week. It’s her birthday and my parent’s 40th wedding anniversary, so I will be in my PA hometown next week.
  • My best friend’s sister is getting married next month and we are going to Chicago for her bachelorette party in a couple weeks!

Any fun trips you’ve taken this summer? Or will take soon? Tell me about it!

78 Responses to “Vacation at the Lake. ☀”

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girlposted August 13, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Wonderful trip, thanks for sharing your adventures! I laughed at the axe murderers picture, you guys are concentrating hard! Also I want M&M’s for breakfast! :)

• Sallyreplied on August 13th, 2013 at 7:10 pm

The pies were SO HARD to cut haha! Thanks Pamela.

aimee @ like mother like daughterposted August 13, 2013 at 2:11 pm

It looks like such a beautiful and fun trip! We haven’t taken any big trips this summer, and I am so sad about it. We are headed camping in a week or two, and I am excited for that!

• Sallyreplied on August 13th, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Camping is always a good time! I hope you have a blast, Aimee.

Eve ( Ideally Sweet )posted August 13, 2013 at 2:33 pm

I love he pic of you guys attacking the pies, lol! The Swallow Falls you so magical, like out of a fairy tale book, no wonder Kevin proposed there. Love the kiwi idea, will defo try that!
    P.s Jude looks so cute in the car photo! :-D

• Sallyreplied on August 13th, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Eve, Swallow Falls is gorgeous! In both the winter and summer. And I bought the dried kiwi at a little candy shop. They were so good! I had never seen dried kiwi before.

Nora (Buttercream Fanatic)posted August 13, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Looks like a great time! Where will you be staying in Chicago? Let me know if you need any reccos for things to do and – more importantly – places to eat! YOu can reach me at buttercreamfanatic@gmail.com.

• Sallyreplied on August 13th, 2013 at 7:06 pm

I honestly can’t even remember where we are staying. We rented a house – I think. I need to reread all the emails about our trip! I’ve been to chicago so many times before and I love it there!

Maggie @ Sunnyside Up Smileposted August 13, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Aww it looks like you guys had such a great time Sally! I’m so happy that you could kick back and spend time with Kevin and Jude. It’s super cute how you made a pit stop to hike at Swallow Falls! Lots of wonderful memories for you there ;) After all my traveling this summer, tomorrow I have to get back to school. I guess it’s nice to be in more of a routine again (so that I’m not going to bed at midnight and waking up at 9 or ten) but I’m going to miss the long, lazy days of summer. I am looking forward to that crispness of fall though!

• Sallyreplied on August 13th, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Maggie, good luck going back to school! That was always so bittersweet for me. I love the fall, but it means the end of summer and the beginning of school. Thanks for your sweet comment!

Reba - Not So Perfect Lifeposted August 13, 2013 at 3:12 pm

I love camping! This year we went a bit fancy and went to Hawaii, sometimes I dream that I’m still there watching the waves roll in. I love that you go back and visit your engagement spot a lot :)

• Sallyreplied on August 13th, 2013 at 7:03 pm

I would LOVE to travel to Hawaii, Reba! We are thinking of going there on our honeymoon.

Averie @ Averie Cooksposted August 13, 2013 at 3:21 pm

The waffle with M&Ms in the holes, so adorable.

And normally I don’t think of you as a ‘woodsy’ type of girl. It’s usually pink and sprinkles :) But I loooove seeing you in your shorts and ready for a run/hike with Jude, and seeing all these big trees. Reminds me of Northern Cal (Marin county) and I love it up there!

The axe murdered pic. I love it :) Thanks for sharing all these, Sally! It looks beautiful!

• Sallyreplied on August 13th, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Thanks Averie! And I usually live in my running shorts. I bake in them, run in them, and usually run errands in them haha. I just started to hike and do more outdoorsy stuff when I met Kevin. The man hates to be inside. But you are right – I definitely was not born a “woodsy” girl lol

Madisonposted August 13, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Looks like an amazing getaway and vacation!!! Those chocolate croissants look divine as well. :) And your pies ALWAYS look great!

• Sallyreplied on August 13th, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Thanks Madison! Now I have to learn how to make chocolate croissants at home. =)

Jocelyn @BruCrew Lifeposted August 13, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Looks like the perfect way to relax after working so hard on your cookbook and Kevin’s classes!!! M&M’s for breakfast…you don’t have to tell me twice :-) Thank you for sharing all your fun pictures with us!

• Sallyreplied on August 13th, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Thanks Jocelyn – and I knew you’d love the M&Ms in the waffles. You’re the candy/dessert queen!

Kayle (The Cooking Actress)posted August 13, 2013 at 4:33 pm

AMAZING! So so so much fun! Gotta love a vacay with the boy’s fam!

Teresa Dposted August 13, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Hey Sally! I love the pics! So glad you had a wonderful time. I’m taking a trip to Philly this Thursday to hit up the Juicy Couture outlet store :D

• Sallyreplied on August 13th, 2013 at 6:58 pm

That’s so fun, Teresa! I’ve never actually been to that before. But enjoy Philly – it’s my favorite place to be. =)

Danza de Fogonesposted August 13, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Wow! Amazing place! Love all the photos!

Siennaposted August 13, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Bachelorette parties in Chicago are a lot of fun! I hope you have a great time visiting!

• Sallyreplied on August 13th, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Thanks Sienna! I can’t wait!

Becky @ Olives n Wineposted August 13, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Ahhh – your vacation looks like it was perfectly relaxing :) I’m a year old than my hubby too – it’s the thing to do! We don’t have any big trips planned for the fall since we’re in the middle of moving to Chicago but I will be in Nashville next month for my cousin’s wedding!

• Sallyreplied on August 13th, 2013 at 6:57 pm

I would LOVE to travel to nashville one day! I hope you have a wonderful time, Becky. And I’m going to Chicago later this month. I love it there! Good luck with the rest of your moving.

Ari @ Ari's Menuposted August 13, 2013 at 5:20 pm

So glad you had some well deserved R&R!!

• Sallyreplied on August 13th, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Thanks Ari! :) :)

Barbaraposted August 13, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Call me nosy, but I am so glad you posted about your vacation here on SBA! I loved all of your pics, everyone of them and you take such beautiful pictures too.

• Sallyreplied on August 13th, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Thanks Barbara! And you aren’t nosy at all. I love to share my photos!

Caleyposted August 13, 2013 at 6:02 pm

That first picture of Jude is so adorable! He looks like such a nice dog :). Also, I LOVE your pink shirt in the picture of you and Kevin ax-murdering the pies. So pretty! It looks like you had a fabulous time. Lakes and mountains are the best. That’s why I love living in Colorado! :D I have a church retreat to a little mountain town in September, and then another in October, so that will be great to get in the pine-y air and see the beginning of fall colors.

• Sallyreplied on August 13th, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Caley, Kevin used to live in Colorado – and actually, Jude was born and raised in Colorado! It sounds like you have some nice things to look forward to as the weather gets cooler.

Emilyposted August 13, 2013 at 6:25 pm

I feel more relaxed just looking at this! (and just a touch jealous ;) ) We are doing our first true vacation of the summer next week .. Jackson Hole! I have realized I need to vaca more often. sigh.

• Sallyreplied on August 13th, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Have so much fun Emily! I wish I could vacay more often. But not taking vacations that much makes you truly appreciate when you do!

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishesposted August 13, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Looks like so much fun!! Love the M&M’s in the waffles haha

Erinposted August 13, 2013 at 8:42 pm

I love that lace shirt you are wearing in the axe murderer picture. ;) I’m glad you had a lovely time! In a week and a half, I’m driving to California for my college roommate’s (I say this like I’ve been out of college more than two months haha) wedding as a bridesmaid! Excited to get away for a little bit. :)

• Sallyreplied on August 13th, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Thanks Erin! I got that shirt from Forever 21 a few months ago. Have so much fun in CA!

Eat Good 4 Lifeposted August 13, 2013 at 9:04 pm

How fun. I love the fact that you made apple chips for the trip. I am leaving Thursday for TN and I have pears so maybe I should make some pear chips. I think I might :-)

• Sallyreplied on August 13th, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Pear chips – that sounds amazing! Have fun in TN!

Tieghanposted August 13, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Such a fun trip! Thanks for sharing and girl those pies look amazing! Wish I had some for dessert right now!!

I love all the pretty photos of the lake and hiking. Totally looks like my kind of a trip!

Tara@PNWRunnerposted August 13, 2013 at 11:58 pm

Sadly, no trips this summer! My highlight will be the triathlon/my birthday/Seahawks game this Saturday! So much fun put into one day! Your pictures are amazing. I cannot wait to check out the skinny PB pie! Looks bomb!

• Sallyreplied on August 14th, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Good luck in your triathlon, Tara! That is so exciting – I am routing for you! I want to run a marathon one day. Happy Birthday too! Enjoy that pie – you should make it as a treat for completing the triathlon – and eat the whole thing too. You totally deserve it.

adriennposted August 14, 2013 at 1:11 am

awesome pics!! thanx for sharing. Jude is sooooooooo extremely cute:))

• Sallyreplied on August 14th, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Thanks for the comment on Jude, Adrienn. :)

Chung-Ah | Damn Deliciousposted August 14, 2013 at 1:57 am

What an amazing vacation! Thanks for sharing pictures! And Jude is adorable, as always.

Amyposted August 14, 2013 at 2:06 am

You definitely don’t look older than Kevin, Sally — you have nothing to worry about! And congratulations on finishing the first part of your cookbook manuscript!

As for fun trips… I’m actually coming to the East Coast in under 2 weeks! My dad and I are huge baseball fans, so we’re going to see 3 new stadiums together. We’ll be in Philadelphia for a couple days, Baltimore for a day, and Washington, D.C. for a few more days. In a perfect world, I’d get to see you too! :)

• Sallyreplied on August 14th, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Amy! I live in B-more and am from Philly! Both great stadiums. I hope you enjoy it all!

• Amyreplied on August 14th, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Thanks Sally! I’m so excited. These will be our 20, 21, and 22 stadiums together! Any tips on foods to eat at the ballparks?

• Sallyreplied on August 14th, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Hmm… I always get peanuts. I’m boring! But hot dogs at the Phillies stadium are always good!

• Amyreplied on August 14th, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Not boring, Sally — classic! Peanuts at a baseball game is a must. Especially for such a big peanut butter lover!

laurasmessposted August 14, 2013 at 3:34 am

This is such an awesome post Sally, haha! I did think that you and Kevin were deeply engrossed in the pie cutting process… the hard cookie base explains it (I’m sure they were ridiculously yummy, regardless of the chunky cookies!). So glad that you had a wonderful time away. I do think that you both needed some serious down time after the past few busy months. Yay for finishing the cookbook manuscript… so excited for the publication! So many good things ahead of you! Thanks for sharing these special moments with us xx

• Sallyreplied on August 14th, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Thanks Laura, what a sweet comment! I am actually only halfway done the manuscript! Not all the way yet. And thank you for being excited about it :)

• laurasmessreplied on August 19th, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Oh, half finished is still a momentous feat – something to be celebrated :) Definitely excited. I know many people are. You’ve got a special talent for baking xx

Emma Chaceposted August 14, 2013 at 7:49 am

Loooove the M&M’s in the waffle!

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Healthposted August 14, 2013 at 8:32 am

Wow, Swallow Falls is absolutely gorgeous! Such a special place to remember your engagement!
    Love the picture of your pup in your sunglasses. Hilarious! That chocolate croissant…drooling.

• Sallyreplied on August 14th, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Thanks so much Sarah – you are aways so sweet. And yes – that chocolate croissant was amazing.

Christineposted August 14, 2013 at 9:14 am

Love deep creek!!!! So fun to visit in the summer and winter. Looks like it was a blast!

• Sallyreplied on August 14th, 2013 at 12:07 pm

I love it any time of year too Christine! Thank you!

Tina @ Tina's Chic Cornerposted August 14, 2013 at 9:29 am

It looks like you had a fabulous time. Jude is too cute!!

• Sallyreplied on August 14th, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Thanks Tina! Jude certainly knows how to work the camera.

Madeleineposted August 14, 2013 at 10:34 am

Sounds like a wonderful (and delicious) trip!! Love the photos. Can you tell me what photo editor you used for the fourth one down (out the car windshield with the American flag)? I love the effects!

• Sallyreplied on August 14th, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Hey Madeleine! I used an app called Picfx on my iPhone.

Laurenposted August 14, 2013 at 11:22 am

I love the fact you re-visited the spot of the proposal! Too cute!
    And when you come to PA, please feel free to drop off any goodies for a taste-test at my doorstep ;)!

• Sallyreplied on August 14th, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Thanks Lauren – it was so nice to be back at that same spot by the waterfall. So cool you’re in PA too!

Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.composted August 14, 2013 at 11:54 am

Lovely photos – what a lovely trip – and AMAHZING eats! That Pie! So mouthwatering!

• Sallyreplied on August 14th, 2013 at 11:57 am

Thanks so much Shashi! The pies are both outrageously good.

Jennie @themessybakerblogposted August 14, 2013 at 12:22 pm

It looks like you had a great vacation. The hubs and I love Deep Creek Lake. We stay in a cabin every November. It’s beautiful up in the mountains. Love those Nike shorts (I happen to have the same pair).

Melanie @ Just Some Salt and Pepperposted August 14, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Looks like so much fun! I need to try those two pies.

Abbie @ Needs Saltposted August 14, 2013 at 1:54 pm

I love these pictures!! It looks like you had such a wonderful time. (Your dog is so cute! :D)
    There is nothing quite like being on a lake. <3 it's lovely. And nothing quite like muscling through a frozen pie, either. They look soo yummy, though. :D

• Sallyreplied on August 14th, 2013 at 6:15 pm

You’re so sweet Abbie – thank you for the comment about Jude! Being on the lake is just so peaceful. Nothing quite like it!

Meaganposted August 14, 2013 at 2:53 pm

What a sweet trip, Sally! I laughed out loud at that snap of you and K. looking like axe murderers! Those pies look to die for!! (yuk yuk yuk :))

• Sallyreplied on August 14th, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Hahaha! Thanks Meagan – we seriously look like we’re doing surgery on the pies in that picture. Priceless.

Aharon www.coolcake.composted August 14, 2013 at 4:11 pm

This looks like a perfect vacation.
    And yes you look younger :)
    Thanks for sharing

• Sallyreplied on August 14th, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Haha! Thank you =)

Luv What You Doposted August 15, 2013 at 8:33 am

That looks like my kind of vacation. Dried kiwi is the BEST!
    I can’t wait to see what you guys are up to in Chicago. YOu will love it!

• Sallyreplied on August 15th, 2013 at 9:35 am

I had never tried dried kiwi before. I LOVE it now!

keely@theveryhungrytravellerposted August 19, 2013 at 10:30 am

Just read this post, sounds like such a lovely vacation! My boyfriend is 9 months younger than me and he teases me about it each year! I don’t look any older than him though, and neither do you so it’s ok! :)

• Sallyreplied on August 19th, 2013 at 11:28 am