Flooded Apartment.

I’d like to say thank you to all of my readers who have reached out to me with an outpouring of love during this very stressful week. Your prayers, emails, tweets, messages, and comments have meant the world to Kevin and I.

Before I get back to work with some new recipes for you, I’d like to quickly share a few photos from our apartment flood this week.

Apartment flood

One day after the coldest day Baltimore has seen in decades (3 degrees F, wind chill -16 degrees F), the pipes in our ceiling froze.

The next day, as the sun warmed up around 2pm – the pipes burst and flooded our apartment. We were forced to pack up our lives with water dripping everywhere, no electricity, and no heat within a few hours and move.

Below, you can see the water coming up the walls (on the bottom to the right of the door) and down the wall above the ledge into our kitchen (top left).

Apartment flood-2

I don’t have it pictured, but our large kitchen light filled with water and exploded onto the ground, all over the counter and splashing water into the bottom cabinets.

That’s our carpet on the lawn and the bottom of the photo is our couch on the sidewalk.

Apartment flood-3

The apartment leasing office was extremely prompt and helpful. They told us we could either stay in a hotel or we could transfer apartments that night. I work from home and we have a 120 lb dog; a hotel room wasn’t an option. They showed us an optional new apartment and we signed a new lease.

It’s quite one thing to move, but quite another to move without notice. Kevin called his friends and they came quickly to help us move our furniture and all of our belongings. No time to pack, just throw things together and walk them down the sidewalk and up the stairs to the new home, which is about 200 feet away.

They turned the electricity off in our apartment, so we had no light or heat when we moved. Overnight, restoration contractors came with flood pumpers to suck out all of the water. They tore out the drywall and ceiling.

Apartment flood-5

This is the kitchen today.

Apartment flood-4

This was our kitchen. As tiny as it was, I loved it. I wrote my cookbook here. :(

Apartment flood-6

During situations like this, I always think to myself… worse things happen to better people.

There is a silver lining. A few, actually.

• We are safe and sound.
  • We have renter’s insurance.
  • We had a new apartment within an hour.

Our new apartment finally has running water, the internet is up and running, and my mom drove down to help us get organized yesterday.

I have some baking to do for a friend’s engagement party today. Fingers crossed for a similar oven.

Thanks again for all your thoughts and prayers.

133 Responses to “Flooded Apartment.”

Patposted January 11, 2014 at 8:26 pm

I’m having difficulty leaving a comment so I hope this is not duplicated. I’m so sorry you’ve had to go through this…not fun at all. You two are very strong to do so much so quickly. Great friends also! Hang in there!

xo
    Pat

Laurieposted January 11, 2014 at 8:51 pm

I’m so sorry this happened to you guys! So glad everything is okay now and you were able to get a new place so quickly.

Sarah@WholeAndHeavenlyOvenposted January 11, 2014 at 10:10 pm

I couldn’t imagine having to be away from my kitchen for even a day, let alone having it destroyed! I must say that your attitude towards this is very admirable, Sally! So glad you all are safe. Prayers going out to you and your family!

Jenn@eatcakefordinnerposted January 11, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Now you will just have to write another cookbook in the new apartment :) Ha ha . . . I can’t wait for your first one and a future 2nd one. So sorry about all the damage and thank goodness for renters insurance.

Julianne @ Beyond Frostingposted January 11, 2014 at 11:40 pm

Oh my gosh Sally, how stressful, I am sorry you have to deal with this. I am glad glad you had such a responsive team at the apartment, as I am sure that is not always the case. I hope you are able to settle into your new place without any fuss.

Cathyposted January 12, 2014 at 12:55 am

Craziness! So glad you were able to move into a new apartment right away. Hoping you’re able to get settled into your new place quickly. What a great friend you are to still do the baking for your friend even with all that going on!

Sandra @ Scrumptilicious 4 You!posted January 12, 2014 at 1:23 am

So glad to hear that you are well taken care of and I hope you love your new kitchen as much as the old one! Love you blog and recipes!

fionaposted January 12, 2014 at 1:23 am

I am so sorry that thing happened to you.
    I wish you and your family will have great time with new apartment.

Nicolaposted January 12, 2014 at 3:24 am

I was irritated when the icemaker in our fridge malfunctioned the day before we went on holiday, and sent water cascading over the tiled kitchen floor. I was freaked out when the water supply to the house gave way and flooded across the kitchen floor. My husband once put a drill through our central heating system and flooded our dining room, which had to be re-papered as a result. So I cannot imagine the misery of losing your whole apartment to frozen pipes. I’m very glad you were able to rescue your things (particularly Jude!), and that the rental agency could find you a new home so close and so soon. Sending you positive vibes for your new kitchen!

Snehaposted January 12, 2014 at 3:28 am

Wish u n ur family a very happy n stress free new year.god is with u that’s clearly evident from this Incident bec u all r safe n sound. May god bless u all always.

Shirleyposted January 12, 2014 at 5:35 am

Oh Sally I am shocked to see the photos of your apartment. It must have been bizzare to find yourself living somewhere different so quickly. I’m glad things worked out and hope your life returns to normal soon. Your dog will need extra cuddles as they don’t deal well with changes to their environment – at least mine don’t. Hope you get back on the baking wagon soon!

Julieposted January 12, 2014 at 6:41 am

I can’t even imagine…so glad everything is coming together for you guys, though!

Mademoiselle C.posted January 12, 2014 at 6:47 am

So glad you managed to find a new place quickly and are settled! What a week! You poor things! I am crossing my fingers and toes for a good (even better?) oven for you!
    Mademoiselle C. xx

Michelleposted January 12, 2014 at 9:44 am

Sally, that’s so awful. Your positive attitude is amazing though. Good luck with the move and getting everything set back up. Everything will feel normal again before you know it! Michelle @ HRx

Iosuneposted January 12, 2014 at 10:14 am

Oh Sally, I’m so sorry! But when God closes a door he opens a window :P

• Sallyreplied on January 12th, 2014 at 3:03 pm

I wrote that down and will keep it by my desk. Thanks Losune, I appreciate that!

Julie @ Table for Twoposted January 12, 2014 at 11:11 am

Oh wow, Sally. I’m SO sorry that happened. I’m so glad your apartment management was so prompt and helpful. That’s always the best when they’re like that and they don’t drag their feet and put blame on others. I can’t imagine going through that. We lost heat on the second coldest night last week but that doesn’t compare to you basically having to uproot everything in a blink of an eye. I know we’re far from each other and you have closer friends around you, but if you ever need anything, let me know <3 I hope everything is slowly coming together for y'all! xoxo

Aneta Blanka Pejcharováposted January 12, 2014 at 11:48 am

Oh my my, Sally!!
    Sending all my prayers to you! I believe you and Kevin will be alright soon and everything will get to normal! Life is surprising and maybe first in a bad way, but then you realize it was for something GOOD! I believe in you and Kevin. I KNOW everything is going to be PERFECT very, very soon! GOOD LUCK, Sally!

♥♥♥
    with love, Anette

Layla @ Brunch Time Bakerposted January 12, 2014 at 12:00 pm

I’ve been thinking about you all week Sally! The most important thing is that you are safe. I am impressed by how you were able to get up and recover. If it was me I would still be trying to figuring everything out right now. I hope you love your new apartment!

Nila @ The Tough Cookieposted January 12, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Oh my God, this is terrible Sally! Glad you, Kevin and Jude are okay, but I can imagine the flooding must have been really hard on all of you! I can’t imagine what it’s like to lose your home in a few hours!

Stay safe!

Stephanie Gibsonposted January 12, 2014 at 2:39 pm

So very sorry to hear what has happened to you!! Very happy to hear that the 3 of you are safe and sound. Just as with the new year, leaving the old behind allows us to make room for new. May your new apartment give you as many wonderful memories as the last! Blessings to you all.

Sineadposted January 12, 2014 at 4:34 pm

Oh my God, what a nightmare! At least you’re all safe and sound. Best of luck in the new apartment

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Healthposted January 12, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Oh Sally…I’m just learning that this happened to you and I’m so sorry. I can’t even begin to imagine how stressful this is but I’m glad you’re in a new apartment and everyone is safe. I hope you’re able to get back to normal soon.
    Hang in there girl!

Jennie @themessybakerblogposted January 12, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Sally, I’m so sorry to hear about your apartment. You have a lovely outlook on life, though. I’m so glad you’re safe and sound.

Morganposted January 12, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Hi! my name is Morgan and i love your recipes! I recently made your cake batter cookies and my mom and i really liked them. your recipes are so fun and delicious:)

• Morganreplied on January 12th, 2014 at 7:17 pm

also sorry about your apartment flooding. i hope your new apartment is better than the last one.

Allie | Baking a Momentposted January 12, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Wow. I don’t even know what else to say, except, I’m so sorry. What a nightmare. How stressful. Wishing you all the best, Sally, as you work to put things back in order. <3

Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girlposted January 12, 2014 at 8:54 pm

I’ve been thinking about you all week, Sally…what a mess! I’m so glad you were able to get into a new apartment so quickly. And I admire how positive you’ve stayed throughout everything…I’m just so happy that you’re all safe!

Madaeposted January 12, 2014 at 8:58 pm

So glad that you all are safe and getting settled into a new home!

Hollyposted January 12, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Sally,
    I’m so sorry about your apartment, and sorry I’m just now reading this. You are in my thoughts and prayers, and I’m so glad you were able to get a new apartment so quickly, like you said…silver linings. More good news to add: purchasing your cookbook RIGHT now!! I know it will be my favorite <3

• Sallyreplied on January 13th, 2014 at 10:21 am

I am so happy to hear you are pre-ordering my cookbook. Made my day. Thanks Holly!

Luv What You Doposted January 12, 2014 at 10:15 pm

OMG! I had no idea! So glad to see that you guys are all settled in to your new place!

Candiposted January 12, 2014 at 10:39 pm

So sorry you had to go through all that, but grateful to hear things are going better. God Bless

Moposted January 13, 2014 at 1:30 am

i am really impressed how brave you are in this situation, like you say, worst things can happen but still, this is something. I would probably crawl in a ball on my wet carpet…. I am really glad to read you are all set and ready to start fresh !

Laura (Tutti Dolci)posted January 13, 2014 at 1:42 am

What a nightmare! So sorry you had to walk through this but I am amazed at your upbeat attitude and positive spirit!

Danaposted January 13, 2014 at 8:53 am

You poor guys! Let this be the worst you see in 2014. Upwards and onwards from here!

Ednaposted January 13, 2014 at 10:38 am

hi ms. sally sorry to hear about that kind of catastrophe! just keep yourself warm and safe in this winter season. take care always! ♥♥♥

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookieposted January 13, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Oh my gosh!! I’m so glad you were able to be moved into a new apartment quickly.

Schneeposted January 13, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Just adding my voice to the already many, that hope that this is the worst that 2014 has to offer you, and it is onwards and upwards, with better times in the future…
    btw, it is more likely the pipes froze and split when the water inside expanded, during the cold, and that when they warmed up, the water came tumbling down… been there in the 1950′s ;-( not fun memories…. but like today, in years to come this too will become memories, of friends and family pulling together during a tough time… smiles, ok…. think your 3 points of positives, is great ;-)

Renee@Two in the Kitchenposted January 13, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Oh my!! I am SO sorry to hear about this horrific incident in your life! Thank God you are surrounded by friends, supporters and family! May God bless you and help you get back to a “normal” routine!!

Erikaposted January 13, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Oh no!!! That sounds like a nightmare but so glad you were able to move into another apartment right away! Also, props for writing this in a non-whiny (dare I say inspirational?!) way. I really admire your ability to stay positive–you’re a true role model!

• Sallyreplied on January 13th, 2014 at 5:48 pm

Thanks Erika. I am not about to let a flood bring down my spirits. Things could have been much, much worse! Thanks for the kind words.

Radhika @sugar 'n' spice by radhikaposted January 14, 2014 at 4:39 am

oh no Sally! That’s too bad! Thankfully you lot are safe and sound and that’s what matters! I hope things get back to normal in a few days for you and then you can laugh about it for years to come! :)

100
    Ashleyposted January 14, 2014 at 9:35 am

So, SO sorry to see this! I’m glad that you are safe, and that you are getting settled into your new place. Things can only go up from here, right? Stay positive…and eat some peanut butter! :)

101
    lisaposted January 14, 2014 at 9:51 am

sally, i happened upon your website researching cheesecake bars (i’ll be trying 3 of your recipes later this week), when i came across this. i’m so sorry this happened to you! not only is your home, well, your home, but it’s also where you work — to lose a place as special to you as your kitchen must have been so traumatic. your positive attitude is an inspiration — best to you and yours in your new place!

• Sallyreplied on January 14th, 2014 at 10:17 am

Thank you very much Lisa!

102
    Jess @ On Sugar Mountainposted January 14, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Oh my goodness Sally I am so terribly sorry! What an awful ordeal; but again thank goodness you and your loved ones are safe. It’s always so tough when things like this happen at home (where we feel safest) but you are a tough cookie and will get through this! I know it. Sending much love and support. <3

103
    Brenda Herrposted January 15, 2014 at 10:53 pm

I can imagine the stress and sadness you went through. But I’m hoping you are liking your new apartment. Just think, all new memories in the new home. :)
    Blessings to you.
    Brenda

104
    Mollie @Sprinkles of Lifeposted January 16, 2014 at 11:21 am

We have the same couch! :) So glad it turned out well for you guys. Such an unexpected disaster.

105
    Nancy O'Connellposted January 16, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Sally!

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Kevin! I love your recipes and I’ve downloaded quite a few. I thought I should support your work and went to Amazon to order your cookbook (plus two copies for my daughters) and popped on to your blog to write you a note when I saw the pictures of the flood.

Sending good thoughts your way,

Nancy O’Connell

• Sallyreplied on January 17th, 2014 at 6:50 am

Thank you so, so much Nancy. Much appreciated!

106
    Daniposted January 18, 2014 at 12:00 am

Hey Sally,

I’m sorry to hear about what happen to you last week. But I’m glad they moved you quickly into a new place. I hope everything is starting to settle down and I’ll keep y’all in my prays!

God Bless,
    Dani

107
    Nehaposted January 19, 2014 at 7:12 am

So good to know that you guys are all okay. I wish you both the very best. God bless you !!!

Love- neha

108
    Margaux Hposted January 20, 2014 at 12:10 am

I’m many days late in hearing about this, but so sorry it happened. Will be keeping you both in my thoughts. Let us know if there’s anything we can do to help!

• Sallyreplied on January 20th, 2014 at 8:54 am

Thank you very much Margaux! Things are looking much brighter these days as we settle into our new home.

109
    Erinposted February 15, 2014 at 2:16 pm

Hi Sally, I don’t know how I missed this, but I’m so sorry this happened to you. I’m even sadder about it because not only are you one of my favorite food bloggers, but because this disaster struck you on my birthday! (And that’s probably how I missed the update!) I’m so happy that your leasing office was so quick and helpful…your livelihood depends on having a working kitchen and internet! (If the pipes ever burst in my office and destroyed all my books, I’d be screwed and completely heartbroken.) So thankful that everything worked out okay for you! :)

• Sallyreplied on February 15th, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Thank you SO much Erin! I really, really appreciate it. We are doing much better these days. All settled into the new place!

110
    Debraposted February 18, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Well, I’m new here and just read the post about your pipes freezing and bursting! Glad you were able to move so fast and that everything lined up for you. Great way to start off the new year huh? Hope everything is going well for you in your new place. I’m off to bake some muffins!!

• Sallyreplied on February 18th, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Thanks so much Debra. Things are looking much brighter this month! I appreciate the kind words. Not the best way to start a year is right!

111
    Calebposted June 10, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Wow, that was some tremendous damage done to your apartment. It is good to hear that you are getting the help you need. I hope you are back on your feet soon.

• Sallyreplied on June 10th, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Thanks Caleb! We are all good to go these days. I appreciate the kind words!