Photo A Day, March.

Photo A Day for March

Welcome back to my Photo A Day posts!

March passed me by in a flash. Lots of cookbook celebrations, cookbook promotions, good food, snow, wedding planning, cookies, and margaritas. I have a 10k coming up in two weeks and I haven’t been running as much as I’d like to. So that’s pretty much all I will be doing between now and then. Besides my TV interview this weekend. I’m shaking just thinking about it. I’ll be on WBAL on Saturday morning April 5th at 9:50am. I’ll be sure to share the TV segment on my blog if you are not a Baltimore local!

Now the important question – what on earth do I wear on TV? HELP!

March 1. Celebrated my cookbook release with my best buds. They had a cake made with the book’s photo on it. It was from Sam’s Club and we couldn’t stop eating the frosting. I mean, I couldn’t stop eating the frosting.

SBA COOKBOOK RELEASE

March 2. Leftover very berry muffins for a carby breakfast. They freeze well, up to 3 months.

Jumbo Bakery-Style Very Berry Muffins | recipe by sallysbakingaddiction.com

March 3. Leftover cake has my name written all over it. Literally.

SBA cake

March 4. Delicious lunch.

bbq chicken pizza

March 5. Whoops!

March 6. Received a copy of Surprise-Inside Cakes by Amanda Rettke!! (food blogger at iambaker.net) So many creative and beautifully photographed cakes to choose from! I’m clearly looking forward to this paw print cake. This book ROCKS.

Surprise-Inside Cakes

March 7. Taping the NPR interview in DC! What a thrill.

NPR

March 8.

photo a day march

March 9. Totally necessary in 30 degree weather.

photo a day march

March 10. NPR interview aired and their article on me was published. Thank you, NPR, for having me!

Salted Caramel Dark Chocolate Cookies

March 11. just another bowl of mango guac.

Mango Guacamole

March 12.

Photo A Day, March

March 13. this photoshoot was a wild time.

sparkling fruit sangria

March 14.

Photo A Day, March

March 15. Made a double batch of salted caramel dark chocolate cookies for the party tomorrow.

Salted Caramel Dark Chocolate Cookies by sallysbakingaddiction.com

March 16. SBA cookbook party up in Philly. We made tons of cookbook exclusive recipes for the celebrations! Have you tried any of these cookies yet?

SBA Book Party Philly

March 17. Met with the florist. We’re using Elite Florals in Abington, PA.

Photo A Day, march

March 18. Do you like my new uniform? This cupcake apron was a gift, so I’m not sure where from. I can find out!

Adorable cupcake apron - makes baking much more fun!

March 19.

Photo A Day, march

March 20. SIX MONTHS.  We’re in full planning mode now. (Photo ©2013 Megan Beth Photography www.meganbeth.com)

Engagement Photos

March 21. Made Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cookies w/ M&Ms for my friends visiting. Total must try!

Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cookies with M&Ms by sallysbakingaddiction.com

Also March 21

jude

March 22. Girls weekend.

Photo A Day, March

March 23.

Photo A Day, March

March 24. Too much indulging lately. This is my current favorite juice – got it at Whole Foods. Also, Jude can’t let me take a picture without him. He’s staring at the dishwasher.

Photo A Day, March

March 25.

Photo A Day, March

March 26. Got a case of goodies from Sunkist. Made smoothies.

Photo A Day, March

March 27. Cookies arrived for the bridal shower I hosted for Kristen. Lisa at South Avenue Sweets is a cookie goddess. So talented, so affordable, and we’re using her for our wedding desserts!

Decorated Bridal Shower Sugar Cookies by @southavesweets

March 28. Someone’s 6th birthday! Along with homemade peanut butter bacon treats, Jude got this ginormous beef flavored bone that he brings to bed every night.

Photo A Day, March

March 29. Kristen’s Shower!

Kristens Shower

March 30. Have I showed you my business cards yet? My friend Kathleen owns Paper Bouquet Studio and designed them for me.

She also designed our Save-the-Dates (pictured here). Kathleen personally painted the edges; I love her attention to detail! You’ll enjoy working with her if you’re in the need for graphic design, invitations, business cards, etc.

Colorful SBA Business Cards designed by @paperbouquetllc

March 31. Yesterday was boring; I spent most of it writing this post and working on my tax return. Yawn. I’ll spare a photo.

Q: What have you been up to the past month?

Q: Have you received my cookbook yet? What have you tried from it?

See more bites of real life.

81 Responses to “Photo A Day, March.”

Chloe @ foodlikecakeposted April 1, 2014 at 8:23 am

I love your bites of real life :-)

Amberposted April 1, 2014 at 8:26 am

Your cookbook is proudly displayed in my kitchen, and my three year old loves looking at the pictures in the “sprinkle book.”

Are you running the 10k in Baltimore in two weeks? I’m running that one!

• Sallyreplied on April 1st, 2014 at 10:12 am

YES! So cool you’re doing it too Amber. If you see me, don’t laugh at how slow I am. Clearly, I haven’t been training very well!

• Amberreplied on April 1st, 2014 at 4:19 pm

If I see you, I’ll probably stop and ask to take a picture with you! :) Hopefully the weather is warmer than it has been this past month!

• Sallyreplied on April 1st, 2014 at 4:28 pm

Hey, that’s fine by me! I usually wear some sort of obnoxious neon when I race, so I’m sure I can be easily spotted. I think it’s supposed to be warm and sunny on April 12!

Michelleposted April 1, 2014 at 8:47 am

MY COOKBOOK HAS BEEN DELIVERED!!! but to my sister who lives in the states….. I’ll get it over the summer and can’t wait to try all the recipes!! <333

• Sallyreplied on April 1st, 2014 at 10:11 am

NICE! Let me know any recipes you try, Michelle.

Erinposted April 1, 2014 at 9:23 am

I got your cookbook about a month ago and it’s my goal to make every single item from it! So far the stand outs have been the lemon loaf and the lemon cupcakes. It’s so bright and cheerful that I just love seeing it sitting there on my cookbook stand.

Congrats again!

• Sallyreplied on April 1st, 2014 at 10:10 am

All 75 desserts? Erin, you’re a baking enthusiast and I LOVE it. Let me know how they all turn out and what are your favorites!

Kellie Mposted April 1, 2014 at 9:52 am

The 2nd book I ordered was given to my sister for her birthday this weekend. Her daughters did what mine did: immediately started marking which recipes needed to be tried as soon as possible! Sprinkles happiness all around for us!

• Sallyreplied on April 1st, 2014 at 10:10 am

That’s so cute! Let me know which recipes your daughters want to try and when you try them out, Kellie!

Bethposted April 1, 2014 at 10:02 am

Got your cookbook about a month ago. My 2 1/2 year old twins love looking at it and pointing out and telling me all about the deserts! I’ve made the skinny banana chocolate chip muffins twice now. Love them! Next up will have to be one of the cookie recipes and probably a cake since my brother’s birthday is in a few weeks.

• Sallyreplied on April 1st, 2014 at 10:09 am

Those muffins are AWESOME. I have to make them again soon. My freezer is currently empty and I love filling it with healthy muffins to heat up during the week. Let me know any more recipes you try soon, Beth!

Danielle Borerposted April 1, 2014 at 10:06 am

I haven’t gotten a chance to order your cookbook yet, but it’s I my shopping list! :) I just made your Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes last night and they are delicious! I may have to add a food edition to my blog just so I can tell everybody about them! :)

• Sallyreplied on April 1st, 2014 at 10:08 am

Mmmm I love those cupcakes! I have no self control whenever I make them. For that reason, I don’t make them often!

Rebeccaposted April 1, 2014 at 10:25 am

I got your cookbook a few weeks ago but I’ve sorta been slacking, all I’ve made so far is the powdered sugar donuts (twice!) which are delicious! Oh and I made your homemade whipped cream to frost a birthday cake for my mom this past weekend and it was SO good. I couldn’t stop stealing tastes directly from the bowl. :)

Michelleposted April 1, 2014 at 10:42 am

I was so excited when your cookbook finally arrived! I plan to work my way through as many recipes as I can. So far I’ve made the Cinnamon Roll Blondies (amazing), Salted Caramel Dark Chocolate Cookies and Maple Pecan Granola. Fudge Ripple Monster bars are on the menu for this weekend, and I’m going to make your carrot cake and key lime pie for Easter! Thanks for all the great recipes – I love that they’re all tested and will turn out great!

marcieposted April 1, 2014 at 11:09 am

March looked like a wonderful month for you indeed — congrats on the cookbook again, and I look forward to getting mine. I absolutely love the looks of that sangria, too! :)

Laurenposted April 1, 2014 at 11:22 am

I love the simplicity of your blog design/business cards. I just love the little sprinkles and think it’s totally cute without over-doing it. Great designs!

And although I had my 7th knee surgery Friday, if I make it out of the house to a friend’s going-away party I’m making your sangria!!! It looks so pretty and it’s definitely a nice spring drink!

• Sallyreplied on April 1st, 2014 at 2:55 pm

NICE! Love that sangria, Lauren. I’m so sorry to hear about your knee surgery – sending you many get well thoughts. Hopefully no more surgeries in the future? Feel better!

Erinposted April 1, 2014 at 11:23 am

Always love these posts, Sally! So so many exciting things coming up for you and I know each one will go superbly! You’re great! xoxo

Helen @ the crispy croutonposted April 1, 2014 at 11:32 am

Looking at your foodie month is making my mouth water. Is your cookbook to be distributed in the UK?

• Sallyreplied on April 1st, 2014 at 2:51 pm

It already is available in the UK, Helen! In most book stores, I believe.

Tinaposted April 1, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Please share your interview on the blog! I am in Texas but read SBA every day, and I would love to celebrate this accomplishment with you! I just love, love, love your blog and MUST get the cookbook. Good luck!! You will look great in whatever you wear! :)

• Sallyreplied on April 1st, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Thanks so much Tina! I’m definitely going to wear an apron because that will cover up my top if I make a bad choice haha. I’ll post the interview on my blog -yes! Thank you so much for your support. I’m incredibly nervous.

Christinaposted April 1, 2014 at 1:02 pm

I’ve made your Cinnamon Roll Blondies and Spiced Pumpkin Pie Bars – both were huge hits with my friends and family! Not sure what’s next but it will be coming with me on our multi-generation family trip in June. :) Thank you!

• Sallyreplied on April 1st, 2014 at 2:48 pm

Both great choices Christina. I make those pumpkin bars a lot in the fall!

Rachael | Spache the Spatulaposted April 1, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Holy cow those are the cutest, most fun business cards I have ever seen! Ahh I’m totally smitten with them!!

• Sallyreplied on April 1st, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Thanks Rachael! Kathleen was a great help in designing them.

Cherylposted April 1, 2014 at 1:47 pm

So far I’ve made the pumpkin chocolate chip bread and it was delicious! I showed the cookbook to my 7 year old twin nephews who proceeded to go through the book going “Yum, yum, yum, YUM!” as they turned each page. I think this aunt is on baking duty!

• Sallyreplied on April 1st, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Haha! I’m laughing about your adorable nephews. They have good taste. ;) That pumpkin bread is amazing, I love the simple flavor kick the orange juice brings.

Allyposted April 1, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Your cookbook was at the top of my birthday list! :D In fact, your interview takes place ON my birthday!

• Sallyreplied on April 1st, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Happy birthday Ally!

Abby Hposted April 1, 2014 at 2:40 pm

I received your cookbook! So far I’ve made the Monster Bars, Lemon muffins & Blueberry Muffins (YUM) next up… chunky peanut butter cookies! :) THanks for the great recipes!

• Sallyreplied on April 1st, 2014 at 2:42 pm

NICE choices Abby! Especially those lemon poppyseed muffins.

Danaposted April 1, 2014 at 3:59 pm

I made the chocolate cupcakes from your cookbook! I topped them with buttercream bird nests and gave a half-dozen to a good friend who just had a baby. I called them “New Baby” cupcakes. I really wish I could attach the photo I took of them to this comment!
    Jude is just about exactly 3 years older than our Ruby…who turned 3 on March 30. She has digestive issues, though, so no special treats for her (I made that mistake with pumpkin treats, just once). Her new “woof” ball is coming tomorrow from Amazon (because I was a loser who neglected to order it in time to get her for her birthday; but I don’t think she’ll hold it against me!).

• Sallyreplied on April 1st, 2014 at 4:32 pm

“New Baby cupcakes” – so cute, Dana! You’re so creative. I gotta try that! I don’t think she’ll notice you giving her that ball a few days late. Happy birthday to her!

Gloria // Simply Gloriaposted April 1, 2014 at 4:01 pm

You have been a busy lady! I’m so happy for you! Love all your pics! xo

Kerry @ Kerry Cooksposted April 1, 2014 at 4:27 pm

What a fab month with lots of cookbook fun! We’re less than 3 months from our big day now and it feels so CLOSE! Starting to get super excited :)

• Sallyreplied on April 1st, 2014 at 4:31 pm

3 months is going to fly by Kerry! So excited for you – I bet you’re really busy these days with all the last minute things. Each month is getting busier and busier for us when it comes to wedding plans.

Midoriposted April 1, 2014 at 6:01 pm

I was really excited for your cookbook to come over here in the UK, and I was so happy when it arrived in time for my birthday! I’ve already made the banana bread from it and I love having it warm for breakfast! I have a bunch of lemons now so I’m planning to make your sunshine lemon cupcakes next, since it’s starting to get warm over here :) Keep up the amazing work Sally!

• Sallyreplied on April 2nd, 2014 at 8:24 am

mmm that banana bread is amazing, Midori. And the lemon cupcakes – another great choice! Happy belated birthday :)

Caley Buxtonposted April 1, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Wow, you sure had a lot of delicious food this month! ;) What an exciting few weeks for you…thanks for documenting it! I love your black-and-white chevron dress; where did you get it?? I am so thrilled with your cookbook! Just so you know, it’s on my cookbook shelf between Pillsbury and Betty Crocker…good company! ;)

• Sallyreplied on April 2nd, 2014 at 8:23 am

The dress – it’s actually Lilly Pulitzer. Not a typical lilly pulitzer pattern, but it works! I got it on sale over Christmas. Not sure if it’s still available, though. So happy you’re enjoying my book! Being next to Betty and Pillsbury. What an honor!

Oh guess what? Kevin and I just booked a quick trip to Colorado in May! A little birthday present and “before the wedding madness” getaway. We’re staying with friends in Breckenridge. I can’t wait to finally see your beautiful state!

Jennifer Henshallposted April 1, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Hi Sally!

I just discovered your blog and purchased your cookbook (and am the mother of two girls, ages 4 and 2), so I haven’t had much time for baking yet. But, I’ve managed to make a couple of recipes from your blog — the skinny banana blueberry muffins and the pumpkin spice granola. Both were delish!

I did want to make a suggestion for what to wear during your tv appearance, though. I’ve done a few tv interviews (I work with the Rhode Island Blood Center on raising awareness of the importance of donating blood and am an advocate for a rare disease that both of my daughters were born with called Neonatal Alloimmune Thrombocytopenia (NAIT for short)) and can tell you that every time I appeared on tv, I wore a solid color top or dress. I also have blonde hair and light eyes and have found that a solid color top or dress (I’ve worn cranberry, slate blue and tan) helped to keep the focus on my face rather than my attire. I also have a couple of degrees in Communication and have learned through my studies that solid colors tend to work best in situations where public speaking is involved.

Good luck with your interview — it all goes by so fast. Enjoy every minute of it!

• Sallyreplied on April 2nd, 2014 at 8:21 am

Hi Jennifer! Thank you so much for chiming in – truly. THANK YOU. I have blonde hair and light eyes as well and while I do typically love patterns, etc – wearing solid or bolds is definitely a smart choice for TV. I have a couple options from your suggestions – like a dark green shirt – so thank you very much! I should also remove my electric blue nail polish too. Ha!

I love those banana blueberry muffins and that granola – two great, healthy choices. Thanks for purchasing my cookbook too. There’s a great granola recipe in there. I think you’d love it!

Betty Pposted April 1, 2014 at 9:20 pm

I have your book but I have not made something from it yet (it does look so yummy that I drool at the pictures); but I did make your Loaded Oatmeal Cookies from your blog. Omg they are sooooooooo good!!! I took them to work and everyone raved & ranted about how good they were. I really like the ingredients for the oatmeal cookies. Next time I will attempt to make them by using the recipe and leave out the candy stuff in exchange for the typical oatmeal cookies with raisins & walnuts to see how they turn out.

By the way congratulations to your new celebrity life and may you have many more…

• Sallyreplied on April 2nd, 2014 at 8:16 am

Betty – I love making those loaded oatmeal cookies with raisins and nuts. I know those little goodies aren’t as glamorous as m&ms, but still so tasty! Let me know any cookbook (or blog) recipes you try next!

Amy @ Amy's Healthy Bakingposted April 1, 2014 at 9:23 pm

What a wonderful month Sally! So many celebrations — you deserve all of the fun and sweet treats!! Good luck with your 10k too! I’m jealous; I haven’t been able to run in 2 months because my left knee throbs anytime I go farther than a mile. Bummer! But I’ll be thinking of you and cheering you on really loudly so you can hear me 3000 miles away! :)

• Sallyreplied on April 2nd, 2014 at 8:14 am

Oh Amy! I wonder what it could be. Ever try compressing your knee when you run with bandage or compression sleeve? I have a Zensah brand compression sleeve I use sometimes; it helps a ton.

• Amy @ Amy's Healthy Bakingreplied on April 2nd, 2014 at 4:47 pm

Thanks for the tip Sally; I’ll definitely look into that! I think that it was because I whacked my knee with a kettlebell during one of my “non-run” workouts. My guy used to be a huge athlete and took a look at it, and he guessed that there was fluid behind my kneecap. It’s feeling a lot better, so once I take a peek at those compression sleeves, I might try to run again in the next week or two!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crustposted April 1, 2014 at 9:37 pm

I’m so excited for all that’s happening to you Sally. You’re amazing and inspiring. :)

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoesposted April 1, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Congrats on all of your happy occasions this month! I hope you will join us at our April Photo Diary Linky party from May 1 – 7!

ashley - baker by natureposted April 1, 2014 at 10:55 pm

So fun! I love that your flowers are coming from Abington! My aunt lives there :)

• Sallyreplied on April 2nd, 2014 at 8:11 am

I had no idea, Ashley! That’s right around where our reception is too.

Melanie @ Carmel Momentsposted April 2, 2014 at 8:04 am

I’m totally slacking in the photo a day challenge. Some days I take to many and other rainy days I forget to even snap anything!
    I love the cookbook party photo. So fun! Those dark chocolate cookies look divine!
    Have a great Wednesday!

Christineposted April 2, 2014 at 8:26 am

I maybe ate most of a batch of that Chocolate Chip cookie dough raw, by myself. Froze them into balls and they did indeed become snacks…and I did indeed put in mad crazy time running to burn it all off. Curses! :-)

I also made your Mango Guac for like the 5th time yesterday. Have you tried the Tex Mex Spaghetti Squash yet? It’s da bomb….tonight is Greek Salad Spaghetti Squash. (and next, I will turn into a squash)

Love your photo a day posts! Your business cards are super cute. I have to tell you to check out Moo.com though – they have these amazing cards called “mini Moo” cards that are like 1/3 the size of a regular business card? You can put multiple designs on them too…beautiful, thick paper with a matte finish. I used them in my business and my cards are ALMOST as popular as my work.

• Sallyreplied on April 2nd, 2014 at 2:18 pm

mini moo cards – I’m intrigued! I will definitely check it out. No, I haven’t had the chance to try the spaghetti squash. I will though – I promise Christine! That mango guacamole is heavenly. I’m craving some right now for lunch.

Jennie @themessybakerblogposted April 2, 2014 at 8:28 am

It looks like you had a fun-filled and busy month. Love the shower favors! Your business cards look great. I’ll have to check her out. I need new cards designed.

• Sallyreplied on April 2nd, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Thanks Jennie! And Kathleen is great – so full of ideas! She’d definitely help you get some creative business cards.

Haley @Cupcakes and Sunshineposted April 2, 2014 at 9:59 am

Oh WOW! I’m loving all of these pictures Sally! Your business cards are my favorite. So happy and bright :) I love displaying your book and all the baking inspiration it has brought me! And all of the delicious, delicious baked goods as well. My friends agree!!

• Sallyreplied on April 2nd, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Thanks so much Haley. What a sweet comment. I’m happy you and your friends are loving my recipes!

Megposted April 2, 2014 at 4:37 pm

where did you get your cute dress from your cookbook launch March 1st picture?! I like the chevron dress you were wearing in another pic too! Cute taste :) And congrats on all your successes!!

• Sallyreplied on April 2nd, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Hi Meg! That’s actually a top – I got it from Ann Taylor Loft at the beginning of this year. And the chevron dress is from Lilly Pulitzer. Got it for a steal over Christmas.

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love.posted April 3, 2014 at 12:15 am

What an exciting month! Now I really want some cake, and those chocolate cookies!

Arrielleposted April 3, 2014 at 4:44 am

I’m ordering the kindle addition of your book… sadly it doesn’t get shipped until the 18th. Sitting on pins and needles. This looks like it was an awesome month for you. Great pictures.

• Sallyreplied on April 3rd, 2014 at 8:54 am

Thanks Arrielle!

loriposted April 3, 2014 at 7:28 am

Congrats on the cookbook release! I have been trying to email you for awhile because I made pb banana cookies and thought of you, they are a few posts back on my blog if you want to take a look. I think the original recipe cane from a pb jar label about 15 years ago.
    LOVE That pic of jude!!
    Happy Baking,
    Lori

• Sallyreplied on April 3rd, 2014 at 8:54 am

Thanks Lori! I haven’t gotten any emails from you, so I’m so glad that you mentioned it here. Happy Baking to you too!

Jade @ Bits & Bobsposted April 3, 2014 at 10:14 am

It looks like March was a great month for you! Six months until your wedding, I bet you’re so excited – hopefully planning isn’t stressing you out! Also, I love how colourful your business cards are, so fun!

I haven’t got my hands on a copy of your book yet, but I hope to soon!

:-)

Nicolaposted April 3, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Another exciting month chez Sally. Loving the sangria, that beautiful bouquet of flowers and Jude’s floppy ears. Good luck with the television interview!

• Sallyreplied on April 3rd, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Thanks Nicola, I appreciate that! And so does Jude… :)

Luv What You Doposted April 3, 2014 at 10:23 pm

I did this for March too and it was so much fun! Although my pictures have a lot more snow than yours do : )

Congrats again on the cookbook!

Arianna M.posted April 4, 2014 at 7:48 am

What fun! Good luck on your interview tomorrow. I got my cookbook a little over a week ago. I made the monster bars – I didn’t have any m&m’s, so I just used extra chocolate chips. They were still amazing! I took them to youth group and they *almost* finished an entire double batch. Don’t worry, my family didn’t let the rest go to waste :).

• Sallyreplied on April 4th, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Love love love those monster bars! And I’m sure they’re just as tasty without the M&Ms. Thanks for the good luck wishes!

Athlete who can't eat wheatposted April 5, 2014 at 10:33 am

I made your chocolate chunk muffins from your cookbook…. Had to make them 5 repeat 5 times in three days !! LOVE IT

Hettyposted April 5, 2014 at 12:05 pm

I got your cookbook 3 weeks ago and I love it! So far I’ve made the lemon loaf and the banana bread without the butterscotch as I can’t find any but both were absolutely delicious! I’m looking foward to making the mini vanilla cupcakes and the raspberry and white chocolate cupcakes along with the blueberry muffins :) :)

• Sallyreplied on April 6th, 2014 at 10:51 am

You’ve chosen some AWESOME recipes to try first Hetty! Thanks so much for reporting back and letting me know. I love hearing about my cookbook (and blog!) recipes being made.

Chung-Ah | Damn Deliciousposted April 7, 2014 at 3:33 am

Wow, Sally – you’ve had quite a month. From the book release to NPR – you’re a rockstar :)

• Sallyreplied on April 7th, 2014 at 6:39 am

Thanks Chung-Ah, my dear friend!

Emily @ Life on Foodposted April 7, 2014 at 6:42 am

I love your business cards and how cute are the bridal shower cookies. I bet that was a wonderful party.