My TV Appearance!

(Here is the direct link to the video- also at the bottom of this post.)

Sally's Baking Addiction on WBAL TV

Today I’m interrupting your scheduled dessert recipe to share my TV appearance.

Yesterday morning, I was on local Baltimore news – the  local NBC. If you tuned in to watch me, thank you so much! The picture above? That’s me setting up about an hour before going live. I was shaking uncontrollably.

Sally's Baking Addiction on WBAL TV-2

I was so honored to be invited onto the local weekend morning news. If you follow me regularly, you probably know how nervous I was. By the way, thank you ALL for the comforting advice Friday night. I read each and every comment and did everything you told me to.

I was nervous for nothing! The studio was so laid back. I was expecting high security, people running around with ear pieces, and complete pandemonium. Ha! It wasn’t like that at all. The reporters each gave me a hug and thought my book was the coolest thing they’ve ever seen. “You baked ALL of this? You wrote this whole cookbook?!”

Meanwhile, I’m completely starstruck because I watch them bring the weather reports every Saturday morning.

Sally's Baking Addiction on WBAL TV-3

There were cameras flying from the ceiling over my head, there was a dog sitting next to my kitchen set – barking, and they told me to set up my station any way I wanted. “Dressing the set” was easy – it’s not hard to make dessert look good on camera.

Dressing myself? A little hard. I still had no idea what to wear even up to 10 minutes before we left. I ended up wearing black pants, a green top, and my pink apron. Oh and I’m not really that tall – I’m wearing 4 inch wedges. I’m surprised I didn’t fall over.

(Yes, my pot is pink.)

Sally's Baking Addiction on WBAL TV-4

Here I am trying to stir fudge/talk at the same time. Multitasking on live TV is harder than it looks!! In fact, I was so focused on not messing up that I forgot to even mention my blog. Oops! Thankfully, Lisa threw that in during the last 5 seconds of the segment.

The entire 4 minute segment was about my cookbook, so the 6 recipes I brought to the set are all available in my cookbook. I brought the following goodies, all personal favorites.

Sugared Lemon Bars (page 52)

Sugared Lemon Bars - the best lemon bar I've ever had!

Double Chocolate Muffins (page 18)

Double Chocolate Mufins - so fudgy, rich, moist, and simple to make!

White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Blondies (page 47)

Sally's Baking Addiction Cookbook Recipe

Marshmallow Swirls S’mores Fudge (page 84 – what I was making during the set):

Sally's Baking Addiction Cookbook Recipe

Rainbow Chocolate Chip Cookies (page 110)

Rainbow Chocolate Chip Cookies - soft, thick, chewy, and simple to make!

Mini Vanilla Bean Cupcakes (page 139)

Mini Vanilla Bean Cupcakes by Sally's Baking Addiction

What a thrilling morning it was! By far the coolest experience of my life. Me… just a regular girl doing what she loves… on TV. I am so lucky to have been invited on set and they even talked about having me back. SO cool!

Thanks again, WBAL. And thank you for reading about my TV experience. I wouldn’t have been asked on TV if it weren’t for all of you. Thank you for all your support!

Here’s the video link – let me know what you think! Please ignore my nervousness.

TV

Oh, and this was much needed afterwards. CHEERS!

Sally's Baking Addiction on WBAL TV-5

208 Responses to “My TV Appearance!”

121
    Nicolaposted April 11, 2014 at 3:59 pm

I think you did really well – and you sounded just like I thought you would in my head, how often does that happen?!?!

It’s lovely that they said they would like you back – this could lead to bigger and better things. After all, I grew up in the 70s watching Delia Smith do the cooking segments on our local TV station, and now she’s one of the best-known names in British cooking. Never say never!

• Sallyreplied on April 11th, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Nicola! I appreciate it so much.

122
    Kailey Hoskinsposted April 11, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Congratulations Sally! You did awesome!

123
    Trixie in CTposted April 11, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Belated Congratulations to our dear Sally for a very momentous TV debut!!! You are a doll and very photogenic and natural on TV, doing what you love. In about a year or so when we’re all watching the Sally’s Baking Addiction show on the Food Network, we can say “We knew her when….” Your local TV station would be smart to sign you up to a weekly series – Sally’s Sweet Saturday.

I hope this gives a big boost to your cookbook sales – you deserve all the best!

Your fan in CT… Trixie

124
    Jessicaposted April 13, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Congratulations, Sally! Another big step for you! You were so cute on TV, great job :)

125
    Sashaposted April 15, 2014 at 12:33 am

Oh my goodness! :) You did so well! Like someone else said in the comments, you DID sound exactly like I thought you would in my head, haha! So this is the first time I’ve actually commented on your blog, but I’ve been lurking around here for over a year or so and I LOVE it! Congratulations on your TV debut, and take a well deserved, well needed break!

• Sallyreplied on April 15th, 2014 at 8:40 am

Thanks Sasha, you are so sweet. I hope you say hi more often! It’s so nice to hear from you.

126
    Kathryn Cothernposted April 17, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Great job Sally! It was a pleasure to finally get to “hear” what you sound like as you are busy, busy in your baking adventures. I loved how you quickly got in your website promo at the very end as the air time ended. Being on the air while trying to mix and explain at the same time is a lot to do at the same time.

I totally understand why you continue to run…since you love to eat all your yummy creations. I am always even more energized for my run workouts after making some of your recipes since all the glycogen has built up from the “taste testing” that I HAVE to do. Must burn it off before it settles somewhere I don’t want it to. LOL!

I am truly enjoying everything you share!! Thank you! :)

• Sallyreplied on April 17th, 2014 at 4:09 pm

I completely forgot about my website during the interview. That’s how nervous I was, Kathryn!! Thanks so much for watching it. And yes, I run all the time. Nearly everyday recently. I find I have more motivation to run when I’m baking and tasting all the time. It’s a great balance! I just ran a 10K and hope to run a few more races this summer, too. Thanks Kathryn, always fun to chat running!

• Kathryn Cothernreplied on April 17th, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Sally,

I was making quite a few of your cake and frosting recipes for three nights in a row (Thurs – Sat), right before I was set to run a 10K down here in Austin, TX on Sunday, April 6. I was certainly lacking sleep since I was up late each night making another goodie. Long story short, I had a fabulous 10K run that Sunday morning…AND I was carrying a few extra pounds of water weight since all that taste testing caught up with me (which wasn’t so much fun to run with). However, I was pleasantly surprised with my overall time as well as my per mile time. Even though I trained a lot for the race, I know the built up sugar helped me sustain my energy level and pace during the 6.2 miles.

Thankfully, I dropped those extra, unwanted water weight pounds the very next week…phew!!

Last tidbit…I made your frosted sugar cookies last night (from your cookbook) for my son’s preschool Easter party and made them in the shapes of Easter eggs, bunnies, and carrots. Oh my goodness, those were THE BEST sugar cookies that I ever made!! I will surely make them again. Thankfully, I had leftover frosting from my previous baking marathon so I didn’t have to stay up as late making new frosting (especially since I had to create four different colors). Everyone loved them today at the preschool. I was much better at not taste testing so much last night…but what I did taste was burned off early this morning during my functional training workout. :)

Have a wonderful rest of your day…and if it includes an evening run workout, have fun! :)

Smiles,
        Kathryn

• Sallyreplied on April 17th, 2014 at 8:00 pm

CONGRATS on your 10K! That’s so amazing, something to truly be proud of. I love those frosted sugar cookies. I’ve made them so many times and they just disappear. People flock to them! Yours sound so cute!! Perfect for Easter.

127
    Vanessaposted May 1, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Congrats to your T.V. appearance! What a cool experience for you! Great job!

128
    Renukaposted May 22, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Congrats! I didn’t see you on TV, but you must have been AMAZING. Now, I REALLY want your cookbook!