Photo A Day, April.

Photo A Day for April

Welcome back to my Photo A Day posts! I’m posting this from sunny Riviera Maya, Mexico. Today my best friend Kristen is getting married to Seth. Kristen was my college roomie for 3 years and I’m so excited to be by her side this afternoon. :)

Let’s rewind to April real quick though. The month I first appeared on TV and in the newspaper, visited Panera Bread’s test kitchen, celebrated Easter (with the Easter bunny… sort of), PR’d in a 10K, and frequently drank margaritas. But hey, what else is new?!

Guess what? I’m going to be on WBAL TV (local Baltimore NBC) again this month. Tune in on Saturday, May 24th at 9:30am. I’ll be making my tie-dye cake! I’ll be sure to share the TV segment on my blog if you are not a Baltimore local.

April 1. Oopsies! April Fools.

April 2. It’s embarrassing how quickly we go through a bucket of Utz honey wheat pretzels.

Photo A Day April

April 3. I own the entire series on DVD and usually have it playing when I’m working in the kitchen. This particular season has my favorite… why I’m the holiday armadillo!

Photo A Day April

April 4. Baked 6 cookbook recipes for the TV segment tomorrow, including rainbow chocolate chip cookies. :)

Photo A Day April

April 5. My TV appearance! I’m scheduled to go on WBAL again Saturday, May 24th at 9:30am.

Sally's Baking Addiction on WBAL TV

April 6.

April 7.

April 8.

Photo A Day April

April 9. Baked and reshot my favorite Butterfinger Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies. Soft, chewy, thick, and full of butterfingers. One of Kevin’s favorites – he brought these into work and he said they were gone in 10 minutes. I have no doubt about it!!

Butterfinger Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies

April 10. Jude’s new toy that was destroyed in 20 minutes. Plus I buy ketchup in bulk and drink coffee from a straw.

April 11.

April 12. Race day!

Sole of the City 10K 2014

April 13. I was 100% boring today.

April 14. Time for some dark chocolate banana bread.

Photo A Day April

April 15. Someone prefers to be safe on the deck.

Photo A Day April

April 16. Taste testing margs at 3pm on a Wednesday. Well, twist my arm!

Photo A Day April

April 17. I call this the lets-eat-everything-in-the-fridge salad. Artichokes, spinach, leftover chicken, beans, edamame, corn, caesar dressing. It worked.

Photo A Day April

April 18. A delicious day at Panera Bread’s test kitchen with some new friends!

April 19. Pizza night.

Photo A Day April

April 20. Easter breakfast, key lime pie (recipe in my cookbook), and classic deviled eggs. Oh, and the Easter bunny.

Photo A Day April

April 21. A 5 mile run, followed by lots of taste testing. Balance.

Chewy Fudgy Homemade Brownies

April 22.

April 23.  Snacktime.

Photo A Day April

April 24. Local newspaper feature to promote my book signing. I had no idea I was in it until Kevin brought it home. Shows how much I pay attention!

Photo A Day April

April 25.  An afternoon visit from my sisters and mom. I’m going to be Sarah’s matron of honor next year! She made that cute little card.

Photo A Day April

April 26. Such a great day – book signing and celebrating with friends on a beautiful Baltimore night.

Photo A Day April

April 27. New dress for Mexico – it’s so cute in person.

Photo A Day April

28. Coolest feeling in the world!

Photo A Day April

29. Starting vacation early! Small batch sangria – a little sweet red wine, sparkling apple juice, and berries.

Red Wine Sangria

April 30. Day 1 in Riviera Maya

Photo A Day April

Q: What have you been up to the past month?

Q: How are you liking my cookbook recipes? What are your favorites so far?

See more bites of real life.

64 Responses to “Photo A Day, April.”

Baby Juneposted May 2, 2014 at 8:30 am

Those macarons look beautiful! Love the April 30 photo, it looks like one of those wallpaper settings (i.e. it’s really picturesque). :)

Laura @ Raise Your Gardenposted May 2, 2014 at 8:44 am

Greetings from Buffalo, NY

You sold me on this post with the dog with the bunny ears, so cute.

And you drink coffee from a straw like me, can’t have it any other way. Only way to keep your teeth white and sparkling.

I’m newish to your site so I still have to try so many of your recipes. But this month, I’m planting my garden and cleaning my garage!

Mirposted May 2, 2014 at 8:47 am

Quite a busy and productive month! Congrats on being invited back to be on TV! That’s awesome!

Linda @ Veganosityposted May 2, 2014 at 9:16 am

Congrats on another television appearance! Love your style (because it’s so me) and your dog.

I’m going to try and veganize those peanut butter oatmeal cookies, they look amazing.

Layla @ Brunch Time Bakerposted May 2, 2014 at 9:32 am

I love reading this post because there’s always something interesting happening! I’ve watched every single episode of friends, wish they did another season! Congrats on the TV appearance and book!

Ceara @ Ceara's Kitchenposted May 2, 2014 at 9:35 am

Your doggy being afraid of the vacuum made me laugh! Mine does that too!! :) And Riviera Maya looks as gorgeous as ever!! Enjoy :)

Chelsea @chelseasmessyapronposted May 2, 2014 at 9:38 am

LOVE these posts Sally! What a fun and exciting month you’ve had! :)

Sammieposted May 2, 2014 at 9:50 am

i have been super busy with work (state-wide standardized testing in schools) then was told i got a new job (yay!) and ever since been trying to clean and pack! i leave in 2 weeks, and everything save for 80lbs maximum HAS to be mailed, or given away. hopefully this is the last big move for a while!

Lisa @ Simple Pairingsposted May 2, 2014 at 9:54 am

Looks like a fantastic month, Sally! So many great treats, too. My favorite picture, though is the last – Riviera Maya! So breathtakingly gorgeous!

Erinposted May 2, 2014 at 9:54 am

I received your cookbook this week as an early Mother’s Day. The book is beautiful! I had several leftover lemons, so I made the lemon bars recipe. I’d never made lemon bars before, but they turned out awesome! They taste like the best lemonade ever – in bar form. I’m bringing the rest to work today.

• Sallyreplied on May 2nd, 2014 at 9:55 am

Thanks Erin – and I love those lemon bars! Truly one of my favorite recipes in the world.

Alyssaposted May 2, 2014 at 10:08 am

I love these posts! That dress from Target is so incredibly cute!

Rachel Jposted May 2, 2014 at 10:12 am

What a great month for you Sally! Love these little snapshots into your everyday life- so fun. Enjoy Mexico!

Laurenposted May 2, 2014 at 10:14 am

Okay, I am LOVING your green skinnies! Too cute! And my little furry man, Elmo, watches the vacuum cleaner from afar, too. Never too close, but never too far away. Must keep an eye on it at ALL times. I cannot wait to go pick up your cookbook!!!! Eeep! I can only imagine how exciting it is to see it on the shelves!! :D

• Sallyreplied on May 5th, 2014 at 9:45 am

Thanks Lauren, it was so surreal to finally see my cookbook on a book shelf last month. Crazy! Love the name Elmo for a dog. So cute!

Ikhlasposted May 2, 2014 at 10:19 am

Love your photos, Sally! They’re always so colourful and so much fun :)

Christineposted May 2, 2014 at 10:21 am

Congrats on another television appearance! I can hear the convo at the studio, “Let’s bring back Sally – she brings a complete snack table of awesome!” ha ha! :-) Seriously, SO happy for you!

And OMG, your mom is adorable! Love her dress!!!!

I haven’t made anything from the cookbook yet (hanging head in shame) but I am making those leftover candy brownies this weekend. And I get to see MY mom later this month and we are going to be making some of your banana bread recipes!!

Have a great time in Mexico!

Jessica @ www.bikinibaker.composted May 2, 2014 at 10:30 am

You are so inspirational! I’ve been reading/making recipes from your blog for awhile now, and I’m so happy for you! You’ve inspired me to start my own blog, but it’s just the beginning. Your success motivates me to keep on truckin’.

Congrats on all your accomplishments!

krissywposted May 2, 2014 at 10:31 am

Looks like an awesome month!! Where did you get that coral dress??? It looks gorgeous on you!

Emily @ Life on Foodposted May 2, 2014 at 10:51 am

I love these posts. Your Easter looks like it was super yummy!

mjposted May 2, 2014 at 10:51 am

Love your “Bites of Real Life.” So happy for you that you are going to be on TV again! I will be waiting for your post! :)
    So far the favorite recipes that I have made from your cookbook have to be the gingersnaps and the cookie dough bites!
    I hope you are having a wonderful time in Mexico! Thank you for posting this while even on vacation! ;)

Lauren Griefoposted May 2, 2014 at 10:57 am

Friends is my favorite <3 such an exciting month!!

Sarahposted May 2, 2014 at 11:19 am

Love this post Sal! Especially April 25!

• Sallyreplied on May 5th, 2014 at 9:44 am

Best day of the month, for sure Sare! Love you, beautiful bride. :)

Lisaposted May 2, 2014 at 11:45 am

aww congrats on your WBAL spot! got to see your last one and enjoyed it! congrats on all your successes Sally!

Rachel @the dessert chroniclesposted May 2, 2014 at 12:05 pm

LOVE these posts! You are too adorable. I may have to start doing a photo a day collage just for myself because I love it so much!

Kerry @ Kerry Cooksposted May 2, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Looks like April was a pretty great month!

Meredithposted May 2, 2014 at 12:08 pm

Sally,
    Your cookbook is my absolute favorite of all the cookbooks I own. (I have a ton) I purchased it a couple weeks ago and it now looks like it’s been lovingly used for years. Everything I’ve baked out of it has been the best thing I”ve tasted. NO JOKE! I can’t rave enough to my friends and family. I make your chocolate muffins all the time. (they’re gone in a day) OH! I love them so! Your oatmeal cookies are to die for and the peanut butter? Be still my heart.
    Outstanding work, Sally! I wish you huge success for your future and can’t wait for your next book!

• Sallyreplied on May 5th, 2014 at 9:42 am

Thanks Meredith. :) What a sweet comment! I love those chocolate muffins so much.

Polly @ Tasty Food Projectposted May 2, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Looks like you had quite a wonderful productive month!

I still watch Friends reruns on TV! I love that show!

Ruchitaposted May 2, 2014 at 1:32 pm

That pic of Jude and the vacuum is so cute! My cats hate the vacuum with a passion. One of them will even hiss at it when I get it out of the closet.

I just got your cookbook recently and I’m excited to try some recipes! We just recently moved into a new house, so I need to make sure all my baking gear is unpacked. :-)

Hope you have a great vacation!

• Sallyreplied on May 5th, 2014 at 9:40 am

Hahaha I’m picturing a cat hissing at a vacuum. Too funny, Ruchita!

Alexe @ Keys to the Cucinaposted May 2, 2014 at 3:24 pm

I love the picture of your cookbook on the bookstore shelves, so amazing! Enjoy Mexico, that dress is adore :)

Sarah @ Sarah's Bake Studioposted May 2, 2014 at 3:37 pm

My April wasn’t nearly as fun or exciting. :/

I love the pic of Jude in the bunny ears. Too cute! Congrats on all your success. That is all SO very exciting! And Riviera Maya…sigh… :)

Hopeposted May 2, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Sally, I have to ask where you got the peach color dress in your April 26 photo? It’s absolutely adorable on you!

P.S. I also have a crazy addiction to those honey wheat pretzels :)

• Sallyreplied on May 5th, 2014 at 9:37 am

Hi Hope! It’s from Lilly Pulitzer – I snagged it for a steal at the summer sale last year. I’m sure there is a similar style this year!

• Hopereplied on May 5th, 2014 at 10:12 am

Thanks Sally! So nice of you to reply while on vacation. Checking your blog has become part of my morning routine. I just made your skinny peanut butter brownies over the weekend and love them! I have been using a lot of your great recipes lately.

Caleyposted May 2, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Oh my gosh, Sally, that dress is so cute! I love it. I am also a HUGE Friends fan…I’ll try to drop references into my comments now that I know you are someone who would understand ;). I also drink coffee/tea/EVERYTHING from a straw…in fact, the last time I was forced to drink without a straw, I slopped water onto myself! Skills you don’t expect to lose ;) And I buy mustard in bulk, while my sister is the ketchup fiend :) Congratulations on your exciting month…how amazing to see your cookbook on bookstore shelves! I started trying to get my book published, and right now they said it’s too long (apparently unless the book is Harry Potter-like, they only want about 200 pages :( so I have some editing ahead of me.

• Sallyreplied on May 5th, 2014 at 9:37 am

Caley, we must be twins separated at birth! Well, except for your knowledge in physics. That is definitely not my specialty! Good luck in the editing, I know you’ll be able to do it. Just take your time with it!

Amy @ Amy's Healthy Bakingposted May 2, 2014 at 5:58 pm

These photo-a-day posts are so fun! I love seeing your real life behind-the-scenes shots. As a food blogger, I feel like I lead a pretty strange life sometimes (buying 20 lbs of flour, taste testing cookies at 9 am, agonizing over what patterned straws to buy for the best photos), so it makes me feel normal too. ;) Does drinking coffee through a straw help prevent tongue burns?? I always get too excited and drink it too quickly, and my tongue doesn’t like me after that… Anyway, have a fabulous time in Mexico!! Enjoy the wedding, soak up the sunshine, and relax to your heart’s content!

• Sallyreplied on May 5th, 2014 at 9:33 am

Haha Amy, I feel like my life is 10000% bizarre. Especially compared to a few years ago when my life was working at a 9-5 job, and that’s about it! Good to know about preventing tongue burns. I have no rhyme or reason why I drink coffee out of a straw. I just prefer it that way! It’s totally weird, I know.

• Amy @ Amy's Healthy Bakingreplied on May 5th, 2014 at 1:18 pm

My life has always been bizarre, Sally! When I went from my workaholic chemistry job to blogging, it actually didn’t feel all that different — big surprise! I went from running reactions in lab to running reactions in the “kitchen,” and documenting/publishing the results of each. But the analysis of my “kitchen chemistry” was a lot easier — and tastier too! :)

Lylaposted May 2, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Hi Sally! It was my birthday a couple of weeks ago and my aunt bought me the BEST macarons EVER they were perfect- a thin layer of smooth crispyness on the outside and a soft, chewy inside. I’m a skilled baker and I’ve tried many recipes but they’ve always turned out hard and super crunchy. Also wayyyyy too overly sweet. Have you experimented with them? Do you have a recipe?PLEASE post them!! I would be SOO happy!

• Sallyreplied on May 5th, 2014 at 9:29 am

Hi Lyla! No, I haven’t yet experimented with macarons. But I have plans to at some point this year. I need to master them! I’m in love with macarons. :) Maybe this summer when I have a little more time.

ashley - baker by natureposted May 2, 2014 at 7:58 pm

That dress is so so cute! Love these posts! xo

Danaposted May 2, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Ooh, that sangria looks FAB! You should do a post for it! I’m always on the hunt for good sangria recipes for summer, especially since I’ve determined that any containing citrus turn bitter.
    I made your Reese’s Stuffed Peanut Butter Cookies yesterday, except I stuffed them with leftover Dove White Eggs from Easter. They are AMAZING. I ate three of them. Feeling so guilty today…
    Our Ruby tears through toys, too. It’s crazy ridiculous. There are only two brands that hold up to her razors – Planet Dog Orbee-Tuff and West Paw Design Zogoflex. They’re not soft toys, but at least they’ve survived!
    Enjoy your vacay!

Kaitlyn @ birchtreebakingposted May 2, 2014 at 9:53 pm

I love the April 3rd picture! Cannot get enough of Friends episodes! My favorite is the chocolate chip cookie one! NESTLE TOLLHOUSE!

• Sallyreplied on May 5th, 2014 at 9:26 am

Hahahaha Kaitlyn, that episode is amazing. “I did NOT like batch 16.”

Kayle (The Cooking Actress)posted May 2, 2014 at 11:04 pm

Such a great month!!!

and *squuuueal* over the cookbook on the shelf!

Nicolaposted May 3, 2014 at 4:09 am

Jude on the deck to avoid the vacuum reminds me of my cat when the tumble dryer goes on – you’ve never seen a creature exit through a cat flap so fast! Luckily for her, I don’t use it all that often…

Also loving the green trousers, although they look a little too skinny for me!

Glad to see that your weather has finally improved too.

Kate @ Diethoodposted May 4, 2014 at 4:41 pm

FUN Month!!! I LOVE your orange dress!! And, you’re obsessed with Friends!!! YAAAAAAY! Could you BE any cuter?! <— said in Chandler's voice. :-D

• Sallyreplied on May 5th, 2014 at 9:09 am

Hahaha Kate, just another reason why I love ya. Could I BE wearing anymore clothes?!

Denisse@ Le Petit Chefposted May 4, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Butterfinger PB Oatmeal cookies?! You’re killing me! I’m starving right now…looking at food blogs probably isn’t the best idea. Glad to see you had such a great April- here’s to an even better May!

• Sallyreplied on May 5th, 2014 at 9:08 am

Thanks Denisse – let me know if you try those PB oatmeal cookies!

Joy @Baking-Joyposted May 5, 2014 at 3:25 am

I love having ‘Friends’ on in the background as well, it’s my comfort tv :-) fingers crossed for a film!

• Sallyreplied on May 5th, 2014 at 9:05 am

I’m not sure they will ever do a Friends movie but if they do – we will be the first ones in line I’m sure!

Natalie Munroeposted May 5, 2014 at 8:51 pm

My favorite Friends episodes are the one with Ross’ uber-white teeth (“Are those your…teeth?” “Who has a black light??”), the one where Ross yells “PIVOT!!!” like a crazy man in the stairwell whilst moving the couch, and–my very fave–the one where Ross has all those weird resolutions and wears the leather pants on the date and starts to sweat and calls Joey or Chandler and ends up with “paste pants.” Ah hahahaahahahaha. Those have me in tears-running-down-my-face-hysterics. Some channel airs a few episodes every night and I always read the descriptions hoping one of those will be on. (I was lucky enough to see the tooth one the other night. LOL.)

This weekend I hosted a sangria party for which I made 6 different kinds of sangria. One of them was your champagne one– I used a pink bubbly moscato champagne (that’s what it was called, anyway). It was tasty. Next time you make a red one, might I recommend Rosatello Sweet Wine as your wine base? The one I made with that was amazeballs. (Totes magotes. haha)

Also, am sitting here snacking on your fat-free strawberry banana muffins whilst browsing the internet. Last week I made the strawberry quick bread with vanilla glaze. Both tasty. I especially liked the quick bread because I enjoyed it warm from the oven as a dessert, but liked it even better the next day as breakfast. Mmm. Thanks for the great strawberry recipes. (I still have some left over so I’ll likely tackle the strawberry-chocolate chip loaf next…)

Welcome home from your trip!

• Sallyreplied on May 5th, 2014 at 9:23 pm

It sounds like you love Ross as much as I do. I love the PIVOT episode!! Yes, tears running down my face with the paste pants! I love how much you love Friends. Guess what? I even have Lisa Kudrow’s autograph! I wrote to her when I was 12 and she sent me her autograph. :) A sangria party sounds right up my alley, by the way. Love those strawberry banana muffins!

• Natalie Munroereplied on May 12th, 2014 at 7:20 pm

(Just tried posting this a second ago and there was an issue so if it posts twice, my apologies!)

Anyway, saw this today and thought of you! Be sure to read the comments at the end, too, because people added some good ones there.

Enjoy– http://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicamisener/the-33-best-chandler-bing-one-liners

• Sallyreplied on May 13th, 2014 at 8:29 am

Hahahahahahaha Natalie, I just laughed for about 10 minutes straight. “Well then EAT ME, I’m done.” hahaha you are amazing for showing me this!

Kaylaposted May 14, 2014 at 9:23 pm

I love that you put bunny ears on your dog too!
    I have a lab at home and I dress him up in santa hats and scarves all the time :P
    P.S. What do you think is better, Friends, or How I Met Your Mother? I loved friends but I’m suffering through HIMYM on netflix haha.

• Sallyreplied on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41 am

FRIENDS, definitely! Best show of all time in my eyes.

LizWposted June 15, 2014 at 9:58 pm

JUST got your cookbook for my birthday and can’t wait to dig in and start baking!! Everything looks so amazing. Everything I’ve made off your blog has been awesome!

• Sallyreplied on June 16th, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Thanks Liz! Let me know any recipes you try first. Enjoy!