Saturday Seven.

7 Easy Summer Recipes to Try! Strawberry bread, healthy peanut butter frosting, sweet sangria, and more!

Here’s the plan. We’re shaking things up!

It’s the weekend. Not only that, it’s the first day of summer. You know what that means. Summer concerts, wine nights, road trips, pool parties, roof decks, 8pm runs, farmer’s market, neon sunglasses, and iced coffee. And more guacamole eating than I care to admit.

This time last year I was making S’more Cookie Bars and working on my cookbook table of contents. And now, one year later, I’m doing book signings and still making s’more cookie bars. ((If you’ve tried them, then you know.))

HELLO SUMMER!

By the way, thank you to all my readers who came to the book signing on Thursday night! Lindsay, Victoria, Daniela, Allie, Stephanie, Lauren, Samantha, Mariah, Anne, Holly, Cindy, Katie and everyone else. There aren’t enough ways to say thank you.

Today I’m going to share some summer recipes I’m dying to make right now. Since my life revolves around food and baking and finding any excuse to talk about food and baking. Here are 7 recipes you should put on your “to-bake” list too.

Wait, do you have one of those? #myweirdlife

Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies – all that caramel!

The ultimate sweet & salty treat! Thick and chewy chocolate chip cookies stuffed with gooey caramel and topped with sea salt. @sallybakeblog

Homemade Crab Pretzels – ok, these may sound a little strange but trust me on this. These homemade chewy, soft pretzels piled high with cheesy crab dip made with fresh jumbo lump crab. This is a Maryland staple.

Homemade Crab Pretzels @sallybakeblog

Apple Blueberry Pie Bars – just what you need for fireworks and 4th of July.

Blueberry Apple Pie Bars-2

Peanut Butter Greek Yogurt Frosting – heck! yes! Protein packed frosting.

Skinny Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Greek Yogurt Frosting

Glazed Strawberry Bread – the moistest loaf of bread! Full of sweet summer strawberries and topped with glaze. Amazing as muffins too – reduce baking time to about 18 minutes.

Glazed Strawberry Bread | sallysbakingaddiction.com-3

Oreo Cheesecake Bites – lil’ bites of heaven.

Oreo Cheesecake Bites

Sparkling Fruit Sangria – wouldn’t be summer without it!

Sparkling Fruit Sangria filled with champagne, berries, oranges, and more. There's always a reason for celebrating with sangria!-4

Q: Have you tried any of these recipes? Thoughts?

Q: Any fun plans this weekend?

53 Responses to “Saturday Seven.”

Librarian Lavenderposted June 21, 2014 at 7:07 am

They’re all looking so delicious! Congratulations on your success, I love your blog!

Kyllieposted June 21, 2014 at 7:41 am

Madre mía que pinta las galletas de caramelo salado, me comería una bandeja entera!

Averie @ Averie Cooksposted June 21, 2014 at 7:55 am

Congrats on your book signing, Sally! I bet it was a great feeling being there! :)

Annie @ Annie's Nomsposted June 21, 2014 at 8:55 am

Yes, I have a “to bake” list too! I am so bad at writing it down though! I swear there are like 5466668347745 recipes I want to make and they just swirl around my head!! Must start properly blog planning! But loving this new weekend post, such a good idea. I can just bookmark the post and there are some recipes to make! :D

• Sallyreplied on June 21st, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Thanks Annie! And there are about the same # of recipes I want to make too. ;)

Hayleyposted June 21, 2014 at 9:13 am

The only thing on this list I’ve made so far is the strawberry bread but I’ve already made it twice! My to-bake list is growing every day :) last I checked there were about 50 items on it. I guess I’ll still be baking summer desserts in January.

Paulaposted June 21, 2014 at 9:16 am

Congrats on your book signing, I’m sure that was fun! Great list here and I actually do have a to-bake list. :) Desserts is all I’d cook if my family would let me. Hope you’re having a great spring/summer

Laurposted June 21, 2014 at 9:30 am

I hope when you move towards the Philly area, I can make it to one of your book signings!!! And reading your list of summer “must-do’s” makes me want to go to ALL the summer festivals! UGH. Love this season… except for when it gets in the 100s. :o)

• Sallyreplied on June 21st, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Love summer festivals! I didn’t have the chance to get tickets for any this summer but hopefully next summer. Hope you’re having a great weekend Lauren! I will keep the blog updated with Philly book signings!

Medha @ Whisk & Shoutposted June 21, 2014 at 9:33 am

Everything looks amazing and CONGRATS!! :)

Joanneposted June 21, 2014 at 9:41 am

Love your recipes and your blog, Sally. I wish you continued success!! My plans for today include lunch with friends at a great old German restaurant in Avon-by-the-Sea, NJ. Nothing better than good friends and good food by the ocean. Enjoy your weekend as well.

• Sallyreplied on June 21st, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Joanne, I completely agree – nothing better than friends and good food and the beach! Enjoy.

Mary Francesposted June 21, 2014 at 10:02 am

To bake lists consume my life! Phone, paper, random receipts … ;)
    Congratulations on the book signing! Thanks to social media, I was able to admire from afar. Wish I could’ve been there! I’m so excited for summer, too – ditto on the guacamole, farmer’s market, and hopefully, 8 pm runs :) Happy weekend Sally!

christi sposted June 21, 2014 at 10:08 am

Love those salted caramel chic chip cookies. Have made several times and are now in my baking rotation. Have your cookbook too!

• Sallyreplied on June 21st, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Happy you love them! They are a regular for us too.

mjposted June 21, 2014 at 10:12 am

I can hardly wait to try the Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies. They look absolutely heavenly! And happy summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so glad that it is finally here, and look forward to all the warm weather. I hope that your summer is going well and that it is a fun filled and happy one!

• Sallyreplied on June 21st, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Thanks MJ – hope you’re having a great summer as well!

Lynnposted June 21, 2014 at 10:16 am

Umm, I TOTALLY have a to bake list. It’s called my baking conquest list and it resides on my blog so my readers can hold me accountable (as I’m new to the food blogging world, not a ton has been crossed off yet, and it just keeps getting longer… CRAP). I wanted to come to your book signing but it was a little too far for me on a Thursday night! We live right outside of Philly, so when you move, can you PLEASEEEEE make an appearance in the area? I would come to an event in half a heartbeat!

• Lynnreplied on June 21st, 2014 at 10:36 am

Oh, and I forgot to mention… I’m making my cauliflower crusted vegetable quiche tomorrow! So I’ll report back with my results :-)

• Sallyreplied on June 21st, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Hey Lynn! Yes, I already have some book signings set up for the Philly area, but not until the fall. I will keep my blog updated with those dates/locations. Thank you so much for wanting to support me!

Anne-Mariaposted June 21, 2014 at 12:27 pm

I CANNOT even begin with telling how amazing your blog is. All the recipes and pictures (!) make my mouth water and brain work with a will to cook every single time I stumble upon them. Thank you for bringing me all that joy!

Greetings from a fan from Estonia! :)

• Sallyreplied on June 21st, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Thank you very much Anne-Maria! I appreciate the sweet comment. Thanks for saying hi!

Nicolaposted June 21, 2014 at 1:01 pm

So I’ve just been making your choc chip cookie cake – except I don’t have a 9 inch tin, so it’s in an 8 inch square instead. Both the teenage foodhounds have paused beside it with lust in their eyes. I don’t think it’s going to last long!

I also have a ‘to bake’ list, which seems to increase every time I come to your blog. I’d love to try the crab pretzels, but crab is just way too expensive over here.

Happy Solstice! Hope your summer brings everything you expect.

• Sallyreplied on June 21st, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Thanks Nicola, you’re so sweet. Love love love that chocolate chip cookie cake. It never lasts long here either!

Michelle Hershmanposted June 21, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Love all the summer recipes! I actually have a “to make” excel spreadsheet. How type A and crazy is that?? Congrats on the book signing and the move!

• Sallyreplied on June 21st, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Hahaha Michelle it’s not crazy at all – well, not to me. ;)

Emily @ Life on Foodposted June 21, 2014 at 2:00 pm

I made the strawberry muffins this week and they were so good!

Nicoleposted June 21, 2014 at 2:34 pm

I haven’t made those yet but I made smores cookie bars once, while I was making them I told myself I was never going to make them again cuz they’re a pain in the butt. But then I had one. They are ridiculously delicious

Jayposted June 21, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Oh no!! You just reminded me I still need to do those caramel cookies!!

You should totally do one of these Summer recipes post with no-bake recipes though :D! I’m craving some chocolate chip cookies right now, but gosh it’s so hot where I am that just thinking about turning on the over is making me sweat…

Mariaposted June 21, 2014 at 6:02 pm

So many ice cream recipes to try this summer! However, I made (probs my 5th time) your very cheesy spinach mushroom quiche with the crust yesterday- it’s my favorite one to date! However, I will try the veggie crustless one you just posted. Wish you would come to New England for a book signing, although I will be out your way looking at colleges in Baltimore (your alma mater) and Philadelphia with my baby this summer!

Bethposted June 21, 2014 at 6:26 pm

I have made the strawberry bread several times. It’s the right balance of sweetness and is unbelievably moist. It’s usually the first thing gone once its sliced. It freezes well too.

Megposted June 21, 2014 at 6:42 pm

My to-bake list: everything in Sally’s Baking Addiction (except for the pies…but that’s just a personal issue with soggy fruit)!! I have one problem though; my husband insists that I make your peanut butter cookies and Nutella muffins every weekend, so how can I get to try any new recipes out??? :)

• Sallyreplied on June 22nd, 2014 at 9:26 am

Haha! What a “horrible” problem to have. ;) Love both of those recipes!

Mirposted June 21, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Yay for Maryland crab obsession! I grew up in the Midwest and when I came to this area, the first party at UMD had those Utz crab chips. Old Bay changed my world!
    Love the collection. I made your strawberry bread last week and it was delicious!

• Sallyreplied on June 22nd, 2014 at 9:22 am

YES to old bay changing your world!! That makes me happy to read. ;)

Melposted June 21, 2014 at 10:37 pm

I haven’t tried any of these but I am new here and read your entire blog already.

Anyhow, I had a question I thought of for you today.
    If I have a wilton cookie pan that burns EVERYTHING I put on there. Anyhow, do you think a silpat will take care of that problem? It’s the bottoms of cookies, buns, crescents-everything bread like.

Jess @ Sweet Menuposted June 22, 2014 at 2:51 am

Oh i NEED those salted caramel chocolate chip cookies in my life! Sally, your recipes are always amazing. I am waiting for your cookbook to come in the mail too – woohoo!

• Sallyreplied on June 22nd, 2014 at 9:13 am

Woohoo! Let me know any recipes you try first Jess :)

Ruthposted June 22, 2014 at 3:39 pm

The blueberry bars are positively addictive! Thank you for the recipe. The blueberry filling is not too sweet, easy and yummy. I can think of lots of ways to use that filling. The Granny Smith apple is the perfect foil. I used olive oil instead of butter so it took a bit more oats, but I really like the olive oil flavor too…another counterpoint to the sweet and tart favors.

Layla @ Brunch Time Bakerposted June 22, 2014 at 5:32 pm

Congrats on the book signing! Are you in Philly yet?

Claraposted June 22, 2014 at 6:07 pm

I’m gonna have to make those blueberry bars!

Kate @ Diethoodposted June 22, 2014 at 7:24 pm

How exciting! If you’re ever near Chicago for a book signing, let me know!! And bring a batch of those amazing Apple Blueberry Pie Bars! ;-)

Micheleposted June 22, 2014 at 9:23 pm

Those summer recipes look great! I don’t know which one to try first. How exciting to be doing book signings. Congrats!

Austriaposted June 22, 2014 at 10:41 pm

I enjoyed this post. Will definitely have to make that strawberry bread VERY soon (have been thinking about it for a while now). And i don’t even know how i had missed that salted caramel chocolate chip cookie post! I absolutely LOVE caramel & if its salted even better! Can’t wait to try them…:-) I did, however, make those smore’s bars you mention in the beginning of this post. I had my doubts with having to spread the sticky fluff & having so seemingly little batter/dough left to put on top, BUT they turned out amazing!! SOOO yummy! They were extremely well received by our company that night & not a crumb was left behind….. Thank you so so much for this wonderful blog! I’ve learned so much, & look forward to each new post (wether its cookie related or not). And can’t wait for you to be in the NYC area for a book signing so i can get my copy signed! :)

• Sallyreplied on June 23rd, 2014 at 7:48 am

Hey Austria! Yes, yes, yes! I will be in NY for a book signing this fall. And I can’t wait! Thank you so much for being supportive and reading my blog. I love the s’mores bars.. and the strawberry bread!

Kathy Phelpsposted June 23, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Hi Sally, I recently made your Monster Bars from your cookbook and they were a huge hit – moist and delicious! Both kids and adults loved them! Where was your book signing? Hope it wasn’t near your current hometown in MD? I will be so upset if I missed you locally. Take care and have a nice summer.

• Sallyreplied on June 24th, 2014 at 8:26 am

Hi Kathy! The book signing was in Baltimore city, yes – but I actually have a book signing tonight in Frederick if you are close to that area? It is at 7pm at the Curious Iguana bookstore. http://curiousiguana.com

Amy @ Amy's Healthy Bakingposted June 23, 2014 at 9:34 pm

Sally, you have come SO far in just one year. From baking recipes for a cookbook to signing autographs in the front covers — I’m incredibly proud of you! You probably put in more time, energy, flour, and tears than any of us will ever know, and this is just the beginning. You are going to go so far in the baking and blogging world, and I can’t wait to see what’s in store for you next!

• Sallyreplied on June 24th, 2014 at 8:20 am

What would I do without you Amy?! xoxo thank you for all the support, always. Look how far you have come, too! So proud.

Kaitlynposted June 25, 2014 at 5:41 pm

I just made the Glazed Strawberry Bread with fresh strawberries from my garden! It is absolutely to die for, even without the glaze. I didn’t put it on because I am slicing it and taking it to a family gathering tomorrow and wanted to put the glaze on right before I take it. But, I couldn’t resist trying a sliver (and then another sliver). Thanks for the perfect summer bread recipe!