2014 Recipe Superlatives

collage of 6 images of lemon blueberry layer cake, chocolate cupcakes, apple crisp, oatmeal raisin cookies, brownies, and an image of a quote on a wall

Here we go again! The annual Sally’s Baking Addiction Yearbook Superlatives. A post dedicated to looking back at the most popular recipes in the past year.

See 2012 Recipe Superlatives and 2013 Recipe Superlatives.

Professionally, 2014 was an epic year:

Thank you not only for reading my blog and baking my recipes, but for helping to make this the best year of my life. Through sprinkles and cookies and frosting, we unite. Now, here are the most loved recipes on my blog in 2014 according to your tastebuds.

Most Loved Cookie

For the second year in a row, my Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cookies take the lead. This past year, I shared a visual step-by-step post on making them!

chocolate chip cookies on a silpat baking mat

Runners-Up

Most Loved Brownie/Bar

Chewy Fudgy Homemade Brownies, proving you can’t beat a classic.

stack of brownies on a white plate

Runners-Up

Most Loved Muffin

Sparkling Jumbo Blueberry Muffins— if you need an all around classic and tasty blueberry muffin, this is it.

jumbo blueberry muffin

Runners-Up

Most Loved Cupcake

Classic Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla Frosting— classic continues to win!

chocolate cupcakes with vanilla frosting and rainbow sprinkles

Runners-Up

Most Loved Drink

Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie— it’s a drinkable healthy peanut butter cup.

chocolate peanut butter smoothie in a glass with straws

Runners-Up

Most Loved Savory

Homemade Soft Pretzels— this one is Kevin’s favorite too.

soft pretzels on a silpat baking mat

Runners-Up

Most Loved Cake/Pie

Lemon Blueberry Layer Cake— I had NO idea this recipe would be so popular, considering it doesn’t have any chocolate. But it’s damn tasty and covered in sweet cream cheese frosting.

slice of lemon blueberry cake on a plate

Runners-Up

Most Loved Snack/Candy

Homemade Salted Caramel— I make salted caramel sauce all the time. A great gift, a wonderful topping for ice cream and just about anything under the sun.

Salted caramel in a glass jar with a handle

Runners-Up

Most Loved Healthier Recipe

Whole Wheat Oatmeal Pancakes— I’ll have to make more versions of these in 2015!

stack of whole wheat oatmeal pancakes topped with raspberries and maple syrup on a white plate

Runners-Up

Most Loved Breakfast

Easy Cinnamon Rolls from Scratch– no surprise here!

cinnamon rolls in a glass baking dish

Runners-Up

Most Loved Bread

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread— I’m so happy that I decided to publish this cookbook recipe on my blog. It’s a personal cookbook favorite of mine!

pumpkin bread with chocolate chips

Runners-Up

My Most Loved

You have no idea how hard this is for me. I’ve been thinking about this for over a month. (No life.) But here we go, in descending order:

Homemade Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop-Tarts. I grew up eating these. And now that I can make them at home? Dangerously awesome. I had to buy a treadmill.

frosted brown sugar cinnamon pop tarts on a plate

Gluten Free Apple Crisp. This recipe was the biggest surprise of 2014. I cannot believe how good it is.

gluten free apple crisp serving on a white plate

Soft & Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies. Because I’m officially the most boring person alive.

Oatmeal raisin cookies

Q: What were some of your favorites this year? Not particularly on my website, but any favorites that you made? Tell me about them!

Here’s to a pretty sweet 2015. ;)

1. Karen @ On the Banks of Salt Creek says:

It is time to figure out my menu for January. Usually it is just dinner I plan. However, I believe I will need to add dessert planning after reading this post. My family will thank you.

2. I haven’t tried all the recipes here but I do have to say I cannot praise those cinnamon rolls enough!! I made them just as practice for Christmas morning in the summer and they were so good I had to make them three more times before!! I made them for Christmas morning too of course and everyone got one roll before I had to start cutting them in half because everyone wanted seconds. Favourite breakfast ever! Hope you had a nice Christmas and have a very happy new year sally! Look forward to 2015’s recipes 🙂

1. Hope you had a wonderful christmas too Hayley! thanks for always being so kind– I love the cinnamon rolls too!

3. Congratulations on such a successful year! All these recipes look delicious; that cupcake is calling my name! I need to make it soon 🙂

4. My top 3 favorite recipies were your mint chocolate brownies, lemon blueberry cupcakes, and vanilla almond granola. Wow since I love your lemon blueberry cupcakes so much I must try the lemon blueberry cake since it’s #1. Thanks so much for all the delicious recipies. You really are my baking inspiration!

5. Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen says:

Epic year, indeed, my dear! I’m so happy for you and your successes with SBA, Sally. I have missed reading your blog when I was away from blogging several months due to illness. (Terrible allergic reactions we just couldn’t figure out!) Wishing you and yours all the best this holiday season and for a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year! xo

6. SO great meeting you! Here is to many more years to come!! ;o) My favorite: The pumpkin bread or upside down pineapple cake!

1. you’re the best Laur. that is all. xoxo

7. haley @Cupcakes and Sunshine says:

Your cake batter chocolate chip cookies! I’ve made them 6 times in the past 10 days. They are THAT good. I think I’m the cake batter chocolate chip cookies number one fan! 🙂 & THEY HAVE SPRINKLES!

8. Honestly, every recipe I’ve tried of yours is just delicious, it’s really hard to pick a favorite. I have to say though, your vanilla almond granola (it tastes like honey bunches of oats!!), your pumpkin spice quinoa granola, and your healthy berry streusal bars are sooosooosooooooo good. 🙂

9. Sally, you are a part of my wind-down ritual every night … I look at your blog and read your posts (new & old) every night before bed on my iPad 🙂
    I’ve come to adore your recipes! No recipe has ever disappointed, and the best part is your amazing turnaround time in communicating with your readers. Thank You! My Xmas cookie platter this year consisted of snickerdoodles, butter pecan (some drizzled with choc), browned butter CCC, PB monster cookies, hazelnut Russian teacakes, brownie bites & espresso shortbread. All your recipes disappeared first!!! I wish you a new year filled with love and laughter and prosperity! Looking forward to many more yummies from you.

1. thank you for making me apart of your christmas and? making me apart of your every day Faye!

10. Congrats on such a fantastic year, Sally! Your blog is just wonderful, and you deserve ever second of your success. Your cake batter chocolate chip cookies are such a crowd pleaser…it’s a miracle they actually make it out of my house. Can’t wait to see what 2015 will bring!

11. Your chocolate chunk cookies are the best cookies I’ve ever made. Seriously.

For non-dessert food, Witty in the City’s murg makhani is amazing. You should try it!

12. I made those Soft & Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies, but subbed in dried cranberries instead of the raisins. They may not look fancy, but they are fabulous!!! I’m also addicted to your Peanut Butter Trail Mix Bars! They are always in my frig, wrapped individually, and ready to grab & go!! Thanks SO much for all you do. I know I can trust your recipes. 🙂

13. Averie @ Averie Cooks says:

Congrats on a great year and I love seeing the recaps and highlights what readers voted as their faves as well as your own. Your 3 would not have been ones I would have thought you would have picked….but 2 involve oats and all involve brown sugar, which I know is your thing, so I guess not that surprising 🙂 And there is nothing better than a super soft oatmeal cookie! I will take that over chocolate chip for sure! Have a wonderful in-between-holidays-week coming up and hope you get to relax 🙂

14. i LOVED your triple caramel cupcakes, butterscotch cupcakes, and salted caramel! (i seem to love buttery, sugary things… strange. 😉 ) and this definitely isn’t a recipe, but the chunky chocolate snack mix from target is the BEST thing i have ever eaten!! i just got it on christmas eve and it’s already gone. oops.

15. Sally…where to start? You are so talented and I love your writing style. My favorites are the Salted Caramel Choc Chip Cookies, Soft Gingersnap with butterscotch chips, oatmeal Cookies with Raisinettes, just to name a few!

1. Thank you Linda! You named a few of my favorites too.

16. Now I see them – must be my computer. Thanks!

17. I’ve made 12 of these recipes! All sooo yummy. And my hubby loves making your whole wheat pancake recipe. Your pizzas are soo yummy and I’m no longer afraid to make homemade crust 🙂 and I LOVE your smoothie recipes. I made your white chocolate cranberry pistachio cookies and they were a huge hit. Thank you for having a place where I can find delicious and reliable recipes!

1. Amazing Katie. I have a new pizza recipe coming soon, too! I love those white chocolate cranberry pistachio cookies. I made a few dozen of them last week!

18. Chineka @ Savor The Baking says:

The salted caramel sauce and the chocolate cupcakes are my favorite recipes of yours for 2014. Lots of great recipes this year and looking forward to your 2015 recipes.

19. For Christmas this year I gave my friends your new cookbook and made your Grandmother’s Caramel Corn. It was a big hit with everyone. I have made soooo many of your recipes it is hard to pick my best. Cake, pie, cookie, bread, candy, pastry and cupcakes…… who could chose just one. Thank you for the great ideas!

1. Thanks Staci– what a sweet comment. Thank you for spreading the love!

20. Sally, I loved your lemon zuchinni cake/ bread. Gave it for Christmas gifts. My neighbors loved it also. Your blog is an awesome read, I read it every night as well. It gives me so many ideas and it is calorie free just to read it, right? Happy 2015 to you & Kevin.

21. Sally,
    Merry Christmas to you! I have made many of your recipes and your #1 pop tart were so amazing!!! And your pretzel bites rocked my world. Your blog is how I start my day before the world of work and responsibilities take over. Thank you for all the recipes and something amazing to bake every weekend!

22. What an awesome year! Congrats on your stats, I, too, became a new reader of your blog this year after finding you on Pinterest. Love you recipes, photos and writing style. Cheers to an awesome 2015!

23. Pumpkin cake cheesecake is now a MUST at the holidays. So delicious, moist, decadent and easy to make. LOVE IT and so does my family. Thanks for coming up with such great combinations that make my above average baking skills taste amazing every time.

24. My “Sally” favorite this year? Definitely the chocolate chunk cookie recipe!! I made it two days in a row after we ate all of the first batch (the batch we intended to give to neighbors…)

I also like the iced pumpkin coffee cake and caramel popcorn. Seriously any recipe I’ve made from your website is probably on the favorites list. I love that you test everything so thoroughly so it is *just right*

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

1. you’ve made some personal favorites Sheila, especially that caramel corn!

25. Emily @ Life on Food says:

I have made all of those muffins and they are fantastic. I really want to have some of those brownies!!

26. Congrats on these great stats! Recipes – oh where do I begin. I have made your iced pumpkin coffee cake several times, your sparkle jumbo blueberry muffins and chocolate chip muffins (family favorites), donuts, etc. Whenever my daughter likes something I bake, she asks – “Sally’s?” Next to try in 2015 – Grandmother’s Caramel Corn and pretzel bites. Happy New Year!

1. your daughter is so cute. =) Happy New Year Maria!

27. Michelle @ Modern Acupuncture says:

My favorite recipe that I made this year was your Iced Pumpkin Coffee Cake. It was so delicious, and a huge hit at work. I also love your XXL Death by Chocolate Cookie – I made it four times in December – and your White Chocolate Peppermint Puppy Chow! Next I’m making your Pumpkin Cheesecake Muffins and your Nutella-Stuffed Cinnamon Sugar Muffins, both of which I’ve been meaning to try for ages!

28. I made the butter pecan cookies and they were fabulous. I served them to friends for dessert….they ate them up. Looking forward to more baking now that I am retired. Have a Happy New Year.

29. Austria Azaceta says:

December has been quite the baking month for me. I made 48 cupcakes for a baby shower, half were the chocolate ones on this post & half were the white wedding cupcakes with white chocolate frosting. They went over extremely well!! Then the cookie madness started….. I must’ve baked about 6 or 7 different cookie recipes from here, many in double batches! Some stand outs were the new peanut butter oatmeal ones, the gingersnaps, & my new favorite the butter pecan (sooooo goood!)….. And then theres the sugar cookies… Fantastic recipe! Simple & easy, and SO delicious!!! Will be making those A LOT! Thank you so much for this wonderful blog. I cannot wait to see what you have in store for us for 2015! Happy New Year!!

1. Thanks Austria! Love those butter pecan cookies too. 48 cupcakes? amazing. Happy new year!

30. Congratulations on such a great year!

My favourite recipe this year has to be your Crustless Quiche – it’s been such a big hit in my non-sandwich-eating daughter’s lunchbox. So versatile and so delicious!!

1 2