Mango Guacamole

Try this chunky, sweet, and spicy guacamole the next time you’re craving the creamy dip.

Simple Mango Guacamole - try this tangy, sweet, and spicy guacamole the next time you're craving the creamy dip. Perfect accompaniment to your favorite tortilla chips!

TGIF – it’s party time! Two of my friends from college are visiting this weekend. We have big plans for a fancy dinner, vegging out, playing with pups, reminiscing about our years at Loyola, and drinking wine. I’m making a big batch of my famous mango guacamole to snack on as they arrive tonight. Also: these chocolate chip cookies.

Cannot even wait! I might just go make the guac now. Breakfast of champions.

I have little self control when it comes to dips – hummus, buffalo chicken, spinach artichoke, you name it. And I have ZERO self control when it comes to guacamole. It is, hands down, one of my favorite foods. In fact, Kevin and I make a meal out of guacamole on the regular. A big bag of chips, a big bowl of guac, some margaritas, and the couch.

Also zero control when it comes to margaritas, but that’s another story.

In our recipe, juicy mango livens up a bowl of traditional guacamole. Our fruity guacamole never stands a chance in front of a large crowd – or even just the two of us! Spiced with jalapeño and flavored with lime juice, you won’t be able to stop reaching for more and more of this chunky, creamy dip. Go pick up some ripe avocados because guacamole’s on the menu tonight!

Ingredients for Mango Guacamole

First thing to do? Peel, chop, squeeze all your guacamole fixings. You’ll need half of a jalapeño, juice of 1 lime, 1 small chopped tomato, and 1 peeled and chopped ripe mango.

You can control the spice! Leave out the jalapeño altogether or toss in the whole thing. I like a ton of mango chunks in our guacamole, so I always look for the largest mango I can find. Any size will be fine. Add more mango chunks, add less. This is your guacamole, so don’t be afraid to play around with the fixings!

Sometimes we even add cilantro and 1/4 cup chopped onion.

All of the guacamole fixings can be prepared in advance. Combine all of the ingredients (except for the avocado) in an airtight container and keep it in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Then, mash up your avocados and fold the fixings in. How easy is that?

You’ll need 3 ripe avocados for your mango guacamole. How to tell if avocados are ripe: give the flesh a light squeeze. The avocado will yield to moderate pressure, while still be slightly soft. Or you can test an avocado’s ripeness this way: remove the small brown stem off the top of the avocado. If it comes off easily and you can see green underneath, the avocado is ripe. If you see brown, the avocado is not ripe.

I usually buy firm avocados in the beginning of the week, set them out on the counter, and by Friday they are ripe enough for our guacamole nights.

You’re going to love this stuff. Each bite is super chunky and loaded with mangoes, a little spice, a little sweetness, and lots of creamy avocado. The best part? It’s so quick, which makes it an easy dish to serve for guests. It’ll take you a whopping 10 minutes to make and then another 2 minutes to devour the entire bowl. I don’t even know how I managed to resist it during the photo shoot.

Oh wait.

PS: my favorite chip to pair with our mango guacamole are multigrain tortilla chips. I love the multigrain variety by Late July.

More chips to dip? Here are a few of my other favorites:

Simple Mango Guacamole

Super chunky guacamole gets a refreshing juicy twist with the addition of mango. We like our mango on the spicy side, but feel free to add more/less jalapeño as instructed. Eat it with chips, put it on sandwiches, on top of salads, and burgers. Perfect in the summertime, springtime, Cinco de Mayo or anytime you're craving this comforting dip.

Ingredients:

• 3 ripe avocados
  • 1 mango, peeled and diced
  • 1 small tomato, diced
  • half of a jalapeño pepper, diced1
  • juice from 1 lime
  • salt, to taste
  • Optional: 1/4 cup diced onion and chopped cilantro, to taste

Directions:

1. Mash the avocado in a large bowl. I like to leave a few large chunks because I prefer chunky guacamole. Fold in the mango, tomato, and jalapeño until combined. Squeeze the lime juice on top and stir until combined. Salt to taste. We usually add 1/8 teaspoon of salt.
  2. Serve immediately with tortilla chips.
  3. Make ahead tip: All of the guacamole fixings can be prepared in advance. Combine all of the ingredients (except for the avocado) in an airtight container and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 1 day. Then, mash up your avocados and fold the fixings in.

Recipe Notes:

1. Add more/less chopped jalapeño, depending how spicy you like your guacamole.

Did you make a recipe?

Tag @sallysbakeblog on Instagram and hashtag it #sallysbakingaddiction.

Feeling snacky? Try my crispy baked onion rings, seasoned pretzels (love these!), baked cinnamon apple chips, homemade soft pretzels, roasted garlic & bacon spinach dip, and this fiesta corn and avocado salsa!

Fiesta Corn & Avocado Salsa recipe on sallysbakingaddiction.com

Comments

1. Crystal | Apples & Sparkle on March 22, 2014 at 12:29 am

This combination sounds like heaven. I think I’d like to try out a chips and mango guacamole dinner. Margaritas not excluded, of course. : )

• Sally on March 22, 2014 at 7:15 am

It will be the best dinner you’ll have all week, that’s for sure!

2. Rebecca on March 22, 2014 at 1:26 am

Looks soooo good. I recently made a mango salsa (my new fave) and just made guacamole the other night. I almost finished the bowl myself. It’s dangerous for me to have around! Now I’ll have to combine the two…off to buy more avocados! 🙂

• Sally on March 22, 2014 at 7:13 am

Next on my list is mango salsa! So good.

3. Emily @ Life on Food on March 22, 2014 at 7:40 am

I love avocados. They have been cheaper lately and I have been buying them up non-stop.

4. Beth @ bethcakes on March 22, 2014 at 9:37 am

I love that there’s mango in this guac! Such a fun twist. And totally perfect now that it’s springtime. Honestly, I have never made homemade guacamole, and now I really don’t know why. So easy! 🙂

5. Erin on March 22, 2014 at 12:06 pm

This is a sally staple. after living with her for 3 years…i know it 🙂 this is hands down one of her best! you and kevin would definitely make this regularly and watch big bang theory – xoxoxox

• Sally on March 23, 2014 at 11:58 am

Yes!! Of course I remember that. You know how good this stuff is Er. We’ll have lots of guac dates this summer. xoxo

6. Ceara @ Ceara's Kitchen on March 22, 2014 at 6:11 pm

Mango and Avocados – I stock up at the beginning of the week so this dip is perfect for me 🙂 Pinned and can’t wait to try!

7. Jess @ On Sugar Mountain on March 22, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Dude how can anyone resist delicious dips?! THEY ARE SO FUN TO DUNK CHIPS INTO! And I love love love the sweet touch of mango you’ve added to this guacamole. So ingenious and delicious I’m sure! 😀

8. The Macadame on March 23, 2014 at 5:35 am

What a nice twist on an old favourite! Mango is such a delicious flavour that makes it feel like summer instantly 🙂
    Anisa – The Macadame. xx

9. Iosune | Minimal Eats on March 23, 2014 at 6:41 am

Mango is my favorite fruit! And I’m totally in love with guacamole, what a perfect combination! I NEED to make this recipe NOW! Thanks a lot! 🙂

• Sally on March 23, 2014 at 11:52 am

Hope you enjoy! My favorite fruit as well.

10. Laura Dembowski on March 23, 2014 at 8:23 am

I love homemade guacamole and often make dinner out of it too! More room for dessert, right? 🙂 I love it with Food Should Taste Good Sweet Potato Chips. I always add minced garlic, but now I can’t wait to try mango!

11. Helen @ Scrummy Lane on March 23, 2014 at 12:44 pm

I NEVER would have thought of adding mango to guacamole, Sally, but …. great idea!! Fabulous tip to buy the avos at the beginning of the week so they’re ready for Friday, too. I always struggle with that because I’m one of those people who tends to think what to make for dinner that night on the way home from work so, if I want avocados, too bad, usually! 😉

• Sally on March 23, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Helen, I’m usually last minute for dinner too. So it’s annoying to plan ahead with making guacamole unless you magically find ripe avos at the store! Which I sometimes do in the summertime – it’s great!

12. Raquel on March 23, 2014 at 2:24 pm

Mango and guacamole sounds heavenly! I will have to try this.

13. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious on March 25, 2014 at 2:41 am

I haven’t had guacamole in ages but that’ll change soon. I’ll have to pick up some avocado tomorrow to make your version. I bet that mango adds such an amazing sweetness to this!

14. borisa on March 27, 2014 at 9:48 am

Gifts from nature in one dip!!! Right to the point:)
    Cheers!!!

15. Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking on March 27, 2014 at 6:50 pm

This is so not fair… Why am I allergic to avocado??? I love mango, and I love dips (skip the chips and veggies, just hand me the bowl!), but… I can’t have avocado. It’s the saddest thing ever. Ah well, more for you and Kevin, right? 😉 And I hope you had a fabulous time with your friends!! Nothing beats a really fun girl’s weekend, especially with how hard you work. You deserved the time off!

• Sally on March 27, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Oh no! Amy, that’s awful. I do love avocado so much but when they’re not in season, they’re sooo expensive here. Hope you had a great week!

16. Emily A on March 29, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Oh my gosh, Sally! This dip looks incredible! It’s so difficult trying to find ripe mangoes this time of year though, I’m hoping they get here quickly!

17. Jessica @ Sprinkle Some Sugar on March 30, 2014 at 2:16 pm

I love guacamole but have never though to throw some mangos into the mix! I love, love, love mangos so I’m sure they make the guac all the better!

• Sally on March 30, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Yes! Jessica, I hope you try this stuff!

18. Laura K on April 2, 2014 at 8:38 pm

Okay, so I was not prepared for just how good this is…the stars finally aligned and I had perfectly ripe avocadoes and a perfectly ripe mango in my apartment at the same time so I HAD to make this and I will be making it again and again. I have always loved guacamole but the mangoes put it over the top, it tastes incredible! I am obsessed. Thank you thank you for an amazing recipe Sally!

• Sally on April 2, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Hey Laura! I’m so happy you love this guacamole so much. And how perfect that you had perfectly ripe mango AND avocados at the same time!

19. Erika on May 22, 2017 at 8:05 pm

All of my favorite cookie and baking recipes come from you! I was looking to make some homemade guacamole today and also had some mango, and wondered “hmmm, I wonder how that would be together?” I googled mango guacamole recipes and yours was the first to come up! I can’t wait until my avocados are ripe tomorrow to try this, seeing your amazing recipe solidified that mangos will go great in the guac!

P.S. – Thank you for help turning me into the cookie baking superstar I have become! My family and friends request your snickerdoodles and chocolate chip cookie recipes constantly! I had a chef once tell me they were the best snickerdoodles he had ever had, and they are his favorite cookie so he has tried many. You’re the best, thank you for sharing all of these great recipes and helping me create traditions for my family!

• Sally on May 23, 2017 at 12:19 pm

Erika, Thank you so much for the kind comment! You will LOVE this mango guac, it’s so easy too!!
      And wow, what a compliment to your cookie baking skills! Love it!

Reviews