Exploring Seattle

Exploring Seattle | Sally's Baking Addiction

My first time in Seattle did not disappoint! The Pacific Northwest is unworldly gorgeous. There’s nothing like this place on the east coast. We’re totally missing out. Seattle is young, CLEAN, quirky, and the coffee is damn delish. As you can imagine!

One thing I could NOT get over– nor could I shut up about (sorry, friends) is how late the sun sets! Well, in the summertime at least. The sun was setting at 9:45pm!

Here are some photos! I have plenty more coming your way too.

Exploring Seattle | Sally's Baking Addiction

Pike Place Market– a foodie & shopper’s paradise.

Exploring Seattle | Sally's Baking Addiction

Top Pot Doughnuts! My tastebuds thank you all for your recommendation. I later learned that the original name is Top Spot Doughnuts. And the S went missing along the way? I’m sure one of you knows the real story!

Exploring Seattle | Sally's Baking Addiction

2 people, 3 doughnuts. Bavarian cream, salted caramel (ooooooooomg), and pink frosted with sprinkles!

Exploring Seattle | Sally's Baking Addiction

Yes, the salted caramel was ridiculous. I hear it’s their most popular!

Exploring Seattle | Sally's Baking Addiction

Shot with Canon 5D Mark iii & Canon EF 24-70mm f/4.0 lens.

Q: Have you ever visited Seattle before? Favorite spots?

Comments

1. Katy on August 3, 2015 at 10:04 pm

I love the shot of the Ferris wheel — that’s a framer.  I’ve never been to Seattle but it’s on my bucket list and I’m making you come

2. Leisha on August 4, 2015 at 9:33 am

I love your post about my city! Can’t wait to see more photos from your perspective!!

3. Leisha on August 4, 2015 at 9:34 am

And yes, Top Pot is amazing! I can’t have any other doughnut!!

4. Chelle on August 4, 2015 at 9:34 am

Love these images Sally!  Your beautiful pictures make anyone want to pickup and visit Seattle!  I’d go for the coffee and those salted caramel donuts alone.  I love the summer late sun when we visit my husbands family in Scandinavia. I hate to go in at night, and eating dinner anywhere but outside seems like a sin.

5. Kathi @ Laughing Spatula on August 4, 2015 at 9:55 am

My Cityyyyy!!  I love living here.  I am a native and never get tired of it.  Beautiful photo’s and interesting story about the missing ‘s’ at Top Pot…a bit of doughnut trivia I didn’t know!  My husband and I have been digging around the Pike Place Market since we were kids and there are some hidden gems there…we never get tired of going and in the off season (too crowded with lovely tourists enjoying it right now), you can find us there most every weekend!
    Glad you loved it!
    Clink!

6. Liz B. on August 4, 2015 at 10:53 am

O_O

LOOK AT THOSE CHERRIES! I’m a huge cherry nerd. They’re so good!

Also, I love the angle on the Pike Place sign. Very cool!

7. Krithika on August 4, 2015 at 12:39 pm

I live about twenty minutes away from Seattle, these pictures are gorgeous. I love the French Bakery in Pike Place market. Best. Macaroons. Ever!! I really like The Crumpet Shop too! So much to eat, so little time!

8. Michele @ TwoRaspberries on August 4, 2015 at 2:45 pm

Those art pieces all put together on the walkway are gorgeous! And the fresh cherries are beautiful!  And those donuts I could have eaten all of them they look so tasty 😉 and those flags on the boat are so cute! Love this can’t wait to see more of Seattle!

9. Katie on August 4, 2015 at 3:52 pm

I LOVE the pictures. They are fantastic! I’m heading to Seattle next week! You’ve inspired me to bring my “big” camera now. 🙂

10. gfp on August 4, 2015 at 4:12 pm

I also love Top Pot, but if you want to have some savory with your sweet pastries, you gotta go to Piroshky Piroshky!

11. mary on August 4, 2015 at 5:36 pm

How is the cost of living? Whats the rent for a descent 2 br apt ? Pictures are beautiful.

12. Barbra on August 4, 2015 at 7:12 pm

Sally, these photos are wonderful! I hope you had some fresh seafood during your visit. I love this new part of your website.
    -Barb

13. Erin on August 4, 2015 at 7:13 pm

You’re pictures are beautiful! My husband is from Seattle and we must visit Pike’s Place almost every time we go back for a visit.  I love the flowers-they’re so beautiful and cheap! The French Place is a must go…I prefer the eclairs and of course, coffee.  We just went to Palace Kichen in early July.  Very good! I’d highly recommend!

14. Christine on August 5, 2015 at 7:44 am

I have always wanted to go to Seattle…maybe next year will be the year. We keep going back to Santa Fe…your doughnut pictures reminded me of the Santa Fe farmer’s market. The highlight for me is a vendor that sells BIG old fashioned doughnuts…in June I got Lemon Pistachio with White Chocolate icing.

Your pictures make me feel like I’ve taken a little trip to Seattle this morning. 🙂

15. Sarah @ Sarah's Bake Studio on August 5, 2015 at 8:18 pm

I just got back from Seattle today. I was out there for 9 days – we were out there at the same time! 🙂 The water was gorgeous and we did and saw so much! I enjoyed Top Pot Doughnuts myself, as well as a few other bakeries and unique sweets! 🙂

16. Dana @ 3boysunprocessed on August 7, 2015 at 1:44 pm

I love that you’ve added a photography portion of your blog! Lovely photos! I was also thinking of adding one to my own blog because I do take pictures of people as well as food but I wasn’t sure if it would be confusing. Thanks for the inspiration!

17. wendy on August 7, 2015 at 2:46 pm

loving the new photography section! i am a philly girl as well and really enjoyed your shots from manayunk etc.  you really have an eye for taking the ordinary and capturing its simple beauty.  have some questions if you ever plan on doing a faq…how do you navigate and get the shot you want in crowded, city areas with people always passing by? patience is a virtue i suppose 😉  also-what is your secret for posting sharp images using lightroom here on your blog and social media?  looking forward to more recipes, photos, and news of your book tour.  enjoy your summer!

• Sally on August 8, 2015 at 3:29 pm

Is the answer “I don’t care what others think/how weird I look pausing to take a photo” a good enough response?! Seriously Wendy, I don’t mind pausing to capture something beautiful or inspiring. I don’t know all the strangers on the street any way. 😉

For extra sharp images on social media– well, those are mostly all taken with my DSLR. Then I save them to my phone’s camera roll and share them that way. Or upload them directly from my computer.

18. Siri on August 7, 2015 at 5:25 pm

Thanks for visiting Seattle! Love Top Pot, was actually there this morning for a meeting. 🙂

I’d suggest Loulay, Cafe Besalu, Lark and Poppy for your next visit.

19. Joy on August 8, 2015 at 2:48 pm

Hi Sally, I was wondering if you always shoot manual mode in your “everyday life” photos. Do you ever shoot automatic? I have always loved photography and I am more of an enthused hobbyist, so I try to shoot primarily manual as well- however playing with the settings can make me jmiss out on some fleeting moments! I haven’t been overwhelmed by any automatic shots that I take, but your photos here are all great. Thanks for your help!

• Sally on August 8, 2015 at 3:26 pm

I always, always shoot in manual mode. It really just takes practice to find your camera’s sweet spot. I shoot every single day. I encourage those who want to get familiar with manual mode to do the same! Even if it’s just a couple photos of something completely random.

20. stefanie on September 21, 2015 at 8:56 am

Bet the doughnuts are yummy!

21. Nikeva on September 27, 2015 at 10:45 pm

My aunt has lived outside of Seattle for almost twenty years.  I’ve visited her a handful of times but we never really took advantage of anything other than seeing the Space Needle.  I am definitely going to fly into Sea-Tac instead of Vancouver on my way to the SeaWheeze Half. I’ve got to really experience Seattle and all of it’s charm!

22. Paula Jarrett on August 5, 2016 at 8:42 pm

Hi Sally, I know I’m a wee bit late on commenting here but I wasn’t aware of all your wonderful talents a year ago!! I also use to live just outside of the Seattle area. I have to say that if you are ever out that way again, you really should take a drive north to a little town called Snohomish. It is considered the Antique capital of the Northwest!! It also happens to have the best bakery in town called The Snohomish Pie Company which is incredible in my opinion!! Not just for pie though but their homemade soups and bread are incredible as well. Your pictures are beautiful!! Thank you so much for sharing your many talents with all of us!!

Reviews