Podcast Interview: More Behind the Scenes

Chopped_Podcast_Promo_Sally_McKenney

I’m super excited to share a new podcast interview with you today!

Last summer, I was interviewed by Food Blogger Pro about all things blogging… how did I get here, the food, the photography, cookbook writing, advice, etc. I got absolutely wonderful feedback from bloggers and readers who listened, so I’ve been wanting to do another podcast interview. This time I was interviewed by Marly from Namely Marly. She has her own podcast over on the Chopped Conference website and has interviewed a wealth of talented food bloggers and entrepreneurs.

Our main focus of the hour long conversation (sorry! I can’t stop talking!) is how to build trust with readers. Mainly, how to be authentic, genuine, and real in a blogging world (and real world) that sort of forces you to conform. When it all comes down to it, I wouldn’t have presence on the internet if I never took the time to establish trust with my audience. Who would listen to me? Who would bake my recipes? Trust is, without a doubt, a blogger’s most valuable asset.

Marly and I hopped on the phone a few weeks ago and recorded the podcast. We also chat about my day-to-day work, keeping a balance, why I blog, how I blog, my writing secret, my process, going full time, food photography, and how extremely nerdy I amGive it a listen and let me know if you learn anything or have anything to add to the conversation. Would love to hear from you!

More Blogging Posts

and more!

Comments

1. Gayatri on February 18, 2016 at 4:31 am

I loved the podcast, Sally! SO inspiring, thank you 🙂

• Gayatri on February 18, 2016 at 5:01 am

Also OMG just got to the part about your third cookbook, yay!!! So excited!

• Sally on February 18, 2016 at 3:48 pm

Excited to start it!

2. Emily @ Life on Food on February 18, 2016 at 6:26 am

Podcasts are such a different way to connect. I don’t listen to them often but always enjoy when I do. I am heading on over now to listen.

3. Marina @ A Dancer's Live-It on February 18, 2016 at 7:29 am

I enjoyed this very much! It’s so true, too, about being real with your readers, which is something you ALWAYS are! 🙂 Also, that third cookbook?! You’re incredible!!!

4. Kerry at Kerry Cooks on February 18, 2016 at 7:43 am

Listening now! Thanks for sharing Sally!

5. Laura ~ Raise Your Garden on February 18, 2016 at 7:48 am

Wow Sally! I guess I’ve never thought of that before but it’s’ true, trust is monumental. If you don’t trust the blogger, you won’t make the recipes. And I’ve made a bunch of your recipes, so I guess that means I trust you =) However, I’m not posting photo’s because mine final output doesn’t look quite as good as yours. (But still tastes great!!)

6. Marly on February 18, 2016 at 11:04 am

Thanks so much for being on the Chopped Podcast. It was so great to talk with you and share your advice and expertise with others. Building trust is like one of those foundational elements of a blog that can oftentimes be overlooked, but as you say, is SO important!

• Sally on February 18, 2016 at 3:46 pm

So fun to chat Marly!

7. Serene @ House of Yumm on February 18, 2016 at 11:29 am

Love the podcast Sally!!  It’s so encouraging to know you built the brand on your own without hiring outside help to this point.   I love all the aspects of blogging and love the challenge and haven’t wanted to hand tasks over yet.  Plus I love knowing I’m not the only nerd walking through life with a huge planner attached to me 😉

• Sally on February 18, 2016 at 3:46 pm

Giant planners are the only way to go.

8. demeter | beaming baker on February 18, 2016 at 12:05 pm

Sally, first of all, I’m super excited about this podcast! I listened to your podcast with Bjork at FBP a while back and found it so helpful. It was so incredible to have two of my favorite blogs come together like that (SBA + PoY = ohmygahhhh!)

Second of all, there are so many points you and Marly talked about that I just loved. I seriously feel smarter now. Haha.

– Building trust: I absolutely agree. It’s the main reason why I’ve been following your blog for 3 years. I can tell from the thoughtful details/pointers in your post that you put your everything into it.
    – Humanizing your brand: it’s incredible how you’ve created this emotional connection with millions (!!) of readers like myself. You’re so honest in your posts.
    – Showing vulnerability: Again, this comes back to your honesty. I love how you’re not afraid to tell us when a recipe doesn’t work out, or the fact that you found cinnamon rolls hard at first too. The way you are and the story that you tell with every recipe just makes you so relatable.

Okay, I have to go back to listening to the rest of the podcast now! I’m looking forward to more SBA podcast interviews in the future. P.S. Your tip on reading your posts out loud totally made me laugh (and agree, haha)!

• Sally on February 18, 2016 at 3:42 pm

Enjoy the rest of the podcast! I’m so happy you enjoy it AND are learning from it too.

9. Marijac on February 18, 2016 at 12:50 pm

Enjoyed your interview very much. Spot on. Yours is my favorite blog and yes, it’s because I totally trust your stuff!
    And what you said about us readers learning to like what you like…totally true!!  I use to HATE sprinkles!!!  Now I’m actually starting to love them. Thanks for all you do!
    Keep up the great work!!  YOU ROCK!

• Sally on February 18, 2016 at 3:40 pm

I’ve hypnotized you into loving sprinkles. 😉 Ha!!

10. Sharon K (The Farmchick Bakes) on February 18, 2016 at 6:23 pm

Hi Sally! Just finished listening to the Podcast and Congrats on the 3rd Cookbook! Is it 2017 yet?? LOL. So…..since you’re brainstorming about a new baking category….how about “Sally’s Truffle Addiction” or “Sally’s Snack Bar Addiction”????? Just some thoughts! LOL…..Can’t wait…

• Sally on February 19, 2016 at 11:01 am

Great suggestions!! 🙂

11. Leah on February 18, 2016 at 9:00 pm

I know that I trust your recipes, because every one that I’ve made has turned out great!!!

12. Candace on February 19, 2016 at 7:21 am

Such a great listen! I could listen to you talk about food blogging all day and I don’t even blog! Thanks for sharing!

• Sally on February 19, 2016 at 10:58 am

Thanks for listening even though you don’t blog, Candace!!

13. Muna Kenny on February 19, 2016 at 7:28 am

You are right Sally! I do trust you and that’s the reason why I’m always checking your blog. I know that you work hard in coming up with recipes and try your best to present the baking/cooking method in detail to help us (your readers) get the best result, and I want you to know that I do appreciate it 🙂

• Sally on February 19, 2016 at 10:58 am

Thanks Muna!

14. Eva on February 19, 2016 at 10:39 am

I think the trust happens because your recipes are always solid. I know that if I am baking something from your website it’s going to be a hit. One of my favorites and has become something I make often and do different variations on is your hashbrown and egg pan to oven bake. It’s not even a sweet but it’s my favorite breakfast meal now.

Thanks for all the hard work. 🙂

• Sally on February 19, 2016 at 10:42 am

You can’t beat that dish. I need to make it again soon! Thanks Eva, appreciate it all.

15. Jessica Gavin on February 19, 2016 at 12:44 pm

Happy friday Sally! I just listened to your podcast on my morning run, it definitely made it so much more interesting 🙂 I feel so lucky that I got a little sneak preview during your cali book tour. Congratulations on getting a new home later this year and your third book deal, I can’t wait to read it! Your wise words on authenticity and building trust with your readers is key. I’m going to try the talking out loud and writing for my blog posts this weekend. It’s apparent how hard you work and the commitment to quality that you have to your business so that readers have success with your recipes and keep coming back for more. Forget keeping up with the kardashians, I want to keep up with Sally! Looking forward to following along and seeing more fun and delicious recipes 🙂 I love ketchup too!

16. Michelle @ Modern Acupuncture on February 19, 2016 at 1:40 pm

Awesome! So excited to listen to this on my drive home tonight. Thanks Sally and Marly!

17. Michele @ Two Raspberries on February 23, 2016 at 5:25 pm

I LOVED this interview! I love behind the scenes stuff! 😉 your personality is just so sweet and happy! just like the other podcast you did with food blogger pro when I finished listening to it and this one I felt a whole new sense of encouragement and totally inspired! plus I love that you do the whole planner and check list thing too!!!! I do too! well the planner is actually new to me I’m used to making daily checklists but I found that when I started using a planner a couple months ago everything got SO much more organized and my brain could rest easier LOL anyways loved this interview! and you and your blog! 😉

• Sally on February 24, 2016 at 7:24 am

Thanks for listening to it and chiming in, Michele! I’m so glad you enjoyed it and learn from my interviews like this.

Reviews