23 Spring Recipes from Friends + Upcoming Event
The calendar says April but the weather says muhahaha in its most evil sinister laugh and graces us with 50 mph winds and below freezing mornings. Since it certainly doesn’t feel like spring outside our windows, I figure now’s a good time for a fresh breath of spring air right here on SBA. Fake it ’til you make it, am I right?
Those are my lemon blueberry cupcakes above!
Spring is my favorite baking season. Long dark days are behind us and the stores begin piling up fresh new produce and products to get us ready for summer (my favorite favorite baking season). Soon we’ll be bopping around local outdoor farmers’ markets that’ll begin to spring back up on every corner. Lemons, strawberries, blueberries, rhubarb, and cara cara oranges (the pink ones ♥!) galore.
After a freezing long run in all my winter get up, I sat down at my computer this week and asked a few friends on Facebook for springtime inspiration. I know you’re craving spring as much as I am, so I’m pumped about all these easy spring recipes. Here’s what they had to share, a slew of favorite recipes where spring’s bounty has the spotlight. Get your spatulas ready!
1) Orange creamsicle cake from my dear friend who blogs at fresh april flours.
2) These honey lemon chia seed muffins are almost too beautiful to eat. Many of you have asked about subbing chia for poppy seeds and that’s exactly what Julie does here.
3) Absolutely nothing beats lemon blueberry sweet rolls. Nothing.
4) Lemon cheesecake with strawberry crust has me super intrigued! The gorgeous pink and yellow colors alone make my heart sing.
5) These coconut cream pie gooey bars need to happen ASAP.
6) Blackberry cheesecake bars use a shortcut crust to cut down on time– and you don’t bake the filling. The freezer does all the work. These remind me to actually start baking with blackberries instead of inhaling 900 at a time.
7) Each day would be wonderfully blissful if we started it with lemon cream cheese crumb cake. Our pants may not fit anymore, but at least we’re eating cake for breakfast.
8) Try these lemon cheesecake crescent rolls this weekend. They’re semi-homemade so you save on time and ingredients and, to clarify, you’ll be eating CHEESECAKE IN A CRESCENT ROLL.
9) I didn’t get many savory recipes on the list, but here’s one from Maria. It’s a spring quinoa salad with plenty of fresh seasonal flavors. If anything, try it for the lemon basil dressing alone. Sounds incredible.
10) My local friend, Leah, has a blog dedicated to gluten free living. One thing she recommends is this gluten free chocolate raspberry scone recipe. I know many of you are gluten intolerant. You can use her kitchen tested gluten free all-purpose flour blend in most baking recipes, too.
11) The queen of adorable cupcakes inspires us all with banana split cupcakes.
I love the colors! ↓
12) Deborah’s another baker who chooses lemon over chocolate and her glazed lemon cakes SCREAM springtime. They’re mini cakes, but jumbo cupcakes. Bake them in a jumbo muffin pan. I love it.
13) More almond & lemon! Here’s an almond poppy seed pound cake with lemon cream cheese. Dessert sandwiches. I repeat: dessert sandwiches.
14) Another savory recipe, this time in teeny tiny appetizer form. I’m picturing having all my girlfriends over, pouring glasses of wine, eating a lot of cheese, and popping these super easy spring herb cream cheese appetizer cups like candy. Aren’t they adorable?
15) Iced almond lemon loaf cake! You know what I love about this? It’s not just your ordinary lemon loaf or pound cake. There’s almond meal and extract to take it up approximately 15 notches.
16) I was so happy to finally meet Jen the other month and one recipe she’s been recommending is this key lime cheesecake fruit dip. There’s always room for more key lime and this stuff looks incredibly simple. And addicting.
17) I’m obsessed with the savory recipes on this list! Easy asparagus tart is no exception. Super versatile as an appetizer, dinner option, breakfast food, snack etc. Looks so easy to make too.
18) Nikki is speaking my language with her lemon blueberry pound cake. I’ve actually made this before (who wouldn’t?!) and it’s incredibly moist. Pops of blueberries in every bite too. My favorite.
19) I love how Karly made blueberry muffins into bread that’s basically a blueberry muffin and a blueberry cake in a loaf pan. With glaze on top!!
20) Strawberries and blueberries are typically paired with lemon, but raspberry and lemon always catches my attention. Here’s a simple raspberry lemon cake with a few shortcuts to save on time.
21) I’ve been eyeing Carrian’s fried strawberry shortcakes for almost 2 years, mostly because of the fried cinnamon sugar biscuit business.
22) Fresh flavor to the max with these orange dreamsicle pie bars. Orange zest brings SO much bright flavor to dishes, especially desserts.
23) Caroline makes the prettiest salad I ever did see. Strawberry papaya salad for freaks like me who dig fruit in salads.
This should be enough to turn your kitchen into a tulip filled, cherry blossom petal covered, rainbow topped springtime paradise. Let me know any spring recipes you try in the coming weeks!
TUESDAY APRIL 26th – STAMFORD, CT
One more thing! I just set up an event with my partner brand Juliska at their flagship store (465 Canal Street Stamford CT 06902). Join me for cupcakes and cocktails (margarita cupcakes!) on Tuesday, April 26th from 6:30-8:30pm. We’ll have a cooking demo, book signing, Q&A, festive snacks, cocktails, Juliska goodie bags, and discounts all night on Juliska bakeware. And it’s all FREE!!
Recipe photos used with permission from owners.
With kitchen-tested quality recipes and step-by-step tutorials, my goal is to give you the confidence to bake and cook from scratch.