Franklin

franklin-2

Stepping out of the kitchen today so a new family member can have his formal introduction!

Everyone, meet Franklin.

Kevin and I rescued this little guy a couple weeks ago– and I’ve been dying to spill the beans about him. But first must come a slew of cute puppy photos followed by even more mama snuggles. Of course.

franklin-4

We’ve been wanting a 2nd dog for over a year now, but this past month felt like the right time to adopt. Jude is extremely territorial in our current house, but not too familiar with our new house just yet. After talking to our vet about 500 times, we decided moving into a new home where Jude may be a little more welcoming is the best time to add a 4th family member.

I went searching and that’s when I found our Franklin. (Previously named Martin. I like Franklin better. Like a complete weirdo, I’ve been thinking of a new puppy name for about 2 years. I’d tell you I’m a crazy dog mom, but something tells me you’ve already figured that out by now…? Franklin just seems much more fitting for this stud muffin!!!) Franklin came from Bourbon County Rescue. He’s a shepherd/rottie mix, about 12 weeks old. We’re told his mama was found wandering down a deserted country road this past February, possibly looking for a place to have her puppies.

When we first met Franklin, Kevin picked him right up, I was uncontrollably using my dog voice/melting into a love puddle, then Franklin let out this huge sigh and just melted into our arms. Like, ahhhh. Home sweet home. ♥

franklin-5

Franklin is a whopping 13 lbs, exactly 100 less than his giant redheaded big bro.

The two of them together? Well, it’s interesting. I researched it like a psycho and obviously called our vet another 500 times about the behavior between the two. It’s only been a couple weeks, so they definitely aren’t friends yet. Franklin follows Jude everywhere, while Jude just ignores him like the diva he usually is.

Just like this, actually.

franklin-3

Still smiling, though. Always smiling.

franklin-7

Franklin is a determined little guy! His body moves quicker than his legs so when he tries to run, he just stumbles all over the place. He loves discovering new things and is very thoughtful and generous, often bringing me wet leaves and pieces of mulch when I call his name outside. Franklin also loves to cuddle and will let you know he’s sleeping when he begins to snore like an old man.

franklin-8

Nicknames for Franklin: Benjamin Franklin, Frankie, Franklinstein, Frances…

That last one is only for when he’s being fancy.

I’m over the moon with Franklin and when I asked you about fun dog-friendly birthday activities, I secretly meant friendly for TWO dogs! I’m excited to unveil Franklin on Jude’s instagram account (I understand how weird I am) and I’ll happily share mountains of Franklin photos with you on the regular.

Until then, here’s one more. 🙂

franklin

I CAN’T HANDLE THE CUTENESS!!

Comments

1. Courtney on May 25, 2016 at 9:05 pm

Love him! Congratulations!

2. Sandrau on May 25, 2016 at 10:07 pm

Congrats on your new furry family member! There is absolutely nothing like puppy chow breath -bliss! 🙂

3. Chineka @ Savor The Baking on May 26, 2016 at 2:16 am

Franklin is adorable. Adopted pets are the absolute best.

4. axelle on May 26, 2016 at 3:28 am

Hello Sally!
    Congrats!!! Franklin is sooooooo cute.
    I’m big fan from Brussels, Belgium 😉
    I’m also the happy mom of 2 Boston terrier ladies.
    Joa is 2 years old and Lena is 10 months old
    When we adopted Lena it is nothing to say that Joa was not ready to share her crown :-/
    The beginnings were…hum… quite “rock’n’roll” but after 2 months of living together they became best friends ever!
    So i’m absolutely sure that Jude will soon give Franklin a room in his basket and in his heart!
    Longue vie à Franklin pleine de grands bonheurs :-))

5. Shelley M on May 26, 2016 at 4:53 am

A huge bowl of cuteness with a side of omg adorable!!!! You can tell he’s such a good furbaby too. Congrats Sally!

6. Kenzie on May 26, 2016 at 9:43 am

He is so cute! I cannot wait to graduate and get a dog myself! (definitely glad I’m not the only one who thinks of names in advance 😉 ) What kind of dog is Jude? I think I’m going to LOVE watching him on your instagram/snapchats!

7. Liz @ Ready to Yumble on May 26, 2016 at 11:13 am

THOSE. EYES!!! DAhhhhhh how could you not squish him up?! I’m SO looking forward to more pics of this gorgeous devil 🙂

8. Britt Anne @ Sweet Tea & Thyme on May 26, 2016 at 11:14 am

He is just the bees knees, isn’t he?!

9. Kate on May 26, 2016 at 11:23 am

Yay! Hi Franklin!

10. Liz B. on May 26, 2016 at 1:06 pm

Oh my heavens, he’s adorable! How do you ever find time to bake with such a sweetie around all the time?

• Sally on May 26, 2016 at 2:53 pm

I don’t!! Ha! It’s been a challenge but I think I needed a little break for a week or two 🙂

11. Lauren @ Jesus and a Side of PB on May 26, 2016 at 1:38 pm

Oh. My. Goodness.

12. Katrina on May 26, 2016 at 5:17 pm

A beautiful pup! It’s so nice you got him as a rescue! I hope he and Jude become best friends!! And the name is perfect because of the numerous nicknames!!

13. Kari on May 26, 2016 at 7:17 pm

He is just the cutest thing!!! LOVE!
    Kari

14. Linda on May 26, 2016 at 7:53 pm

Congrats on your new puppy! He’s so adorable!! I hope Jude teaches Franklin the ropes on being the perfect baking assistant.

15. Amanda on May 27, 2016 at 12:45 am

Aw!!! He’s so cute! It makes me want a puppy really badly 🙁

16. Amy on May 27, 2016 at 8:47 am

congrats! What a cutie! I think rescues are the best! I have three. I’m truly crazy dog lady.

• Sally on May 29, 2016 at 8:01 pm

I get you! 🙂

17. Ari K on May 27, 2016 at 6:19 pm

He’s so adorable!!  Congrats!

18. KiKi on May 29, 2016 at 10:32 am

Adorbs!!!! I have an 8-year old boxer mix, Gunner, who does not play well with others so we have not . In January, I saw an absolutely pathetic, obviously homeless, completely matted and hair overgrown cocker spaniel wandering the detention pond by my house. It took about an hour and some raw ground beef to coax him out of the bushes but we are now 4 months on and he has been nothing but love love love. That said, Charlie and Gunner are not friends. Gunner tolerates Charlie and Charlie doesn’t really care about Gunner. Your boys may never be “friends” but I still think there’s a modicum of companionship that they will enjoy. Thanks for sharing and Franklin is a great name!! 🙂

• KiKi on May 29, 2016 at 10:33 am

Oops, didn’t finish my thought in that first sentence…we had not been able to adopt a dog for a long time.

• Sally on May 29, 2016 at 7:17 pm

They’re beginning to tolerate each other, though it comes in waves! Or, should I say, Jude’s beginning to tolerate Franklin. I love the name Charlie for a pup (also my brother in law’s name, so I won’t tell him I said that!) and I’m so happy you gave the little guy a home. Such an incredible story.

19. Christy on May 29, 2016 at 1:38 pm

Congratulations on your new baby, Frankin. He is adorable. I think Jude secretly likes him but needs to act like he doesn’t. He’s playing hard to get right now. That will change and they will be best buds. Loved seeing the photos.

• Sally on May 29, 2016 at 7:13 pm

Hahaha that’s what my husband says too!

20. Luv What You Do on May 29, 2016 at 10:24 pm

Congratulations!  So fun to have such a cute and fussy new addition to your family!

21. Neyla on May 31, 2016 at 4:10 am

He’s precious! Congratulations on your new baby! Thanks for adopting!!! ;))))

22. Robin on May 31, 2016 at 5:51 pm

Your puppy is so adorable.  Good luck with him.  Give him lots of love and encouragement.
    We love your recipes.  My favorite is the barbecued Chicken recipe.  It’s the best!!  I never knew chicken could taste so good.  Your brownie recipe is to die for.  But the best one of all is the giant cinnamon roll cake.  Everyone raves about how good it is and there is never any left overs.  Keep on creating great recipes we love your cooking.  Take care.

• Sally on June 1, 2016 at 6:24 am

Thanks Robin!

23. Lorna on June 3, 2016 at 12:45 pm

He’s adorable!! Congrats on the newest member to your family. I’m glad to hear he was a rescue and he’s lucky to be in a loving home instead of on the streets. or in a bad situation. Welcome home Franklin! 🙂

24. Sinead on June 7, 2016 at 8:39 am

Aw Franklin is so adorable! Such a lovely addition to your family. My fiance and I will be getting our first dog together later this year and looking at your pictures is making me even more excited for it!

25. Alice on May 30, 2017 at 11:06 pm

That little Franklin is too stinkin cute! Who wouldn’t love a sweet little mug like that? And he’s just following in the foot steps of his handsome big brother Jude .Plus, I found your recipe for oven baked cinnamon apple chips.yum.
    What’s not to love. Keep um coming ,thanks Sally

• Sally on May 31, 2017 at 8:45 am

isn’t he the cutest?! We are so happy he’s part of the family!

Reviews