Saturday Seven

kitchen

1) Here is the kitchen! The contractors are finishing the first full month of work. The house has exposed wood beams throughout, which is most definitely what sold us on it in the first place. We’re waiting on the appliances and countertops and they’ll continue to work on hook-ups and electrical detail next week. The estimated finish date keeps changing, but I’d say it’s all worth the wait! Also, those two. 😉

2) I loved hearing about all the pies you want to make this summer. And your favorite pie varieties and helpful tips. Last weekend, I baked a few new pies to share on Sally’s Baking Addiction in July. I wasn’t completely happy with a particular key lime pie I made, so I’m going to give it another shot with a different type of crust. Have you made any pies in the past week?

3)  A few of you emailed me about the way I prepared the zucchini on the grill this past week. Oh my goodness, it couldn’t be any easier! I sliced 4 medium zucchini into spears, then placed them in a large zipped-top bag. I added 2 Tablespoons of olive oil, a few shakes each of fresh ground black pepper, red pepper flakes, sea salt, and garlic powder. Then placed them on a grill for 6-8 minutes. It’s so simple, healthy, and made perfect leftovers to have with the next day’s lunch.

4) A video teaching you how to make homemade nutella (!!!!)

5) We are having family over this weekend to CAMP in the backyard! I haven’t done that since I was about 10. The main reason we’re doing it is because our niece is visiting from the west coast. We were going to camp somewhere fun, but this just ended up being most convenient because we’ve got a baby nephew who needs to sleep inside. Just got all the s’more fixings for the bonfire and I’m making a giant cookie pizza for our niece’s birthday. Keep you posted on that!

6) You know I love me some chicken tenders and Chelsea shared a garlic parm version I’m looking forward to trying!

7) I’ve got a no-bake gluten free fruit tart if you’re looking for simple, healthier dessert options for the 4th. You can decorate with sliced strawberries and blueberries. So patriotic of you!

Healthy Greek Yogurt Fruit Tart-2

Have a great one!

Posted in

Comments

1. Jessica on June 25, 2016 at 6:25 am

Hi Sally! I read your blog all the time and have made many of your baked (and savory!) recipes because I know they will always come out well and delicious. So I just wanted to say thank you and to let you know how much I appreciate what you do! Congrats on the new home; so exciting and enjoy your weekend with family. 🙂

• Sally on June 25, 2016 at 9:20 am

Hi Jessica! Thank you so much for this amazingly kind comment this morning! 🙂

2. Marina @ A Dancer's Live-It on June 25, 2016 at 7:25 am

Yay kitchen! I’ve always loved that exposed beam look too! And you can just send your “reject” desserts over my way, I will gladly eat them. 😉

• Sally on June 27, 2016 at 10:46 am

They’re definitely my favorite part of the house!

3. Tessa @ Handle the heat on June 25, 2016 at 10:56 am

Ah can’t wait to see your kitchen! Those wood beams!! <3 Thanks so much for sharing my homemade nutella 🙂

• Sally on June 27, 2016 at 10:47 am

I can’t wait to try it. It even LOOKS so much better!

4. Emma on June 25, 2016 at 11:29 am

I made a strawberry pie and a blueberry pie within the last week! I used your latest blueberry pie recipe, it turned out great!

• Sally on June 27, 2016 at 10:48 am

Love!! Happy you tried it.

5. Nicola on June 25, 2016 at 1:29 pm

That’s going to be a fabulous kitchen!  (With room for two furry friends to relax…)

• Sally on June 27, 2016 at 10:48 am

Thanks Nicola 🙂

6. nancy k on June 25, 2016 at 6:28 pm

Your mid construction kitchen looks amazing…that island will be huge!
    I laughed at the picture of your furry kids…Jude looks like the seasoned picture subject…looking off to the side in a dignified pose while little Franklin has that look of not quite knowing why he has to sit and ready to bolt right toward the camera. Handsome boys the two of them are, that is for sure.

• Sally on June 27, 2016 at 10:49 am

Hahahaha for sure. Franklin needs to learn the camera routine!!

7. Regina on June 25, 2016 at 6:39 pm

Sally I love your kitchen and am crazy about wood beams. Please keep posting pics of your kitchen to show us the progress.

• Sally on June 27, 2016 at 10:50 am

Thanks so much Regina. And I certainly will!

8. Kara on June 25, 2016 at 8:57 pm

Hi!  First time visiting your site.  I happened to find your recipe for a lemon blueberry cake with cream cheese frosting a year or so ago.  It was to die for.  Tonight I made a chocolate cake for my hubby’s bday, from a box mix and premised frosting.  It is truly inedible.  I remembered the name of your site and won’t evergl back to the box.

• Sally on June 27, 2016 at 10:43 am

Thanks for saying hi Kara! I love that lemon blueberry cake too. If you’re ever interested, I have a favorite chocolate cake from scratch too.

9. Kari on June 25, 2016 at 9:18 pm

That fruit pie is so pretty!
    Kari

• Sally on June 27, 2016 at 10:43 am

It’s really fun to decorate 🙂

10. Janine on June 25, 2016 at 9:56 pm

LOVE your blog. Bet you can’t wait for the kitchen to be done. 🙂

I made a Peach, Nectarine and Raspberry pie with Oatmeal crumble on top (regular butter pie crust on bottom). YUM!

• Sally on June 27, 2016 at 10:39 am

Sounds incredible. I love crumble topped pies.

11. Laura | Tutti Dolci on June 25, 2016 at 11:08 pm

I love those wood beams and all the light. Can’t wait to see how beautiful the finished space is!

• Sally on June 27, 2016 at 10:39 am

Thanks Laura!

12. Julianne @ Beyond Frosting on June 26, 2016 at 12:44 am

I can’t wait to see how your house comes along!!!

• Sally on June 27, 2016 at 10:40 am

I can’t wait either!! Ha!

13. Emily on June 26, 2016 at 5:40 am

We were just talking about camping in the backyard. I am not a huge fan of camping so this location is ideal for me. My husband cannot wait to take our 15 month old daughter. I am highly encouraging of the backyard. Have fun!

• Sally on June 27, 2016 at 10:38 am

It’s just so easy because it’s right there and you’ve got a bathroom inside 😉

14. Iram on June 26, 2016 at 6:39 am

Have fun camping. Tell spooky or funny stories… I can imagine that you ate Smores 😉

• Sally on June 27, 2016 at 10:37 am

Sure did 🙂

15. Ruhma U on June 26, 2016 at 5:16 pm

HOMEMADE NUTELLA!!!!!!!!!!!! I NEED to make that! 🙂

Your kitchen looks great! I still can’t get over the Jude/Franklin pics. It looks like they’re really getting along!

• Sally on June 27, 2016 at 10:37 am

They’re now attached to each other. It’s so cute.

16. Michelle @ Modern Acupuncture on June 27, 2016 at 8:30 am

Yay, your kitchen is going to be amazing! It’s so huge! Love the beams as well. Can’t wait to see the finished product 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

• Sally on June 27, 2016 at 10:41 am

Thanks! Hope you had a wonderful weekend my friend.

17. Jessie @ Chasing Belle on June 27, 2016 at 10:42 pm

That fruit tart looks perffff! You could even dress it up with red and blue berries to be festive 🙂

18. Corrie on June 28, 2016 at 8:55 pm

Sally-I’m drooling over your light-filled wood beamed kitchen! Wood beams throughout would sell me on a house also! You are of course well versed in capturing life in photographs, but may I give you a bit of been-there-done-that/motherly advice? I would encourage you to also break out the camcorder & capture these moments. To be able to hear your voices, hear the dogs’ voices, see the emotions in action on your faces is just priceless & something that will become a family treasure years from now. Perhaps you already do this, idk, but just felt compelled to send you my two cents! Congrats on your new home!

• Sally on June 29, 2016 at 2:28 pm

Corrie, thank you and you’re absolutely on point. I really should be filming more of this exciting process. Thanks for the advice!

19. [email protected] on July 2, 2016 at 2:01 am

Hey Sally!! Congrats on your new house and this kitchen looks amaze balls! Can;t wait to see it once all done! And these two are the cutest!! I love dogs and I am seriously planning on getting one this year end! Fingers crossed!!
    Hey just wanted to give you a head’s up about your Pinterest boards – seems like Pinterest is showing that you have zero boards!
    And I wanted to email you regarding some stuff but can’t seem to find your email!
    Have a fun relaxing long weekend!

• Sally on July 2, 2016 at 8:13 am

What the heck! Ok, I’ll look into Pinterest right away. Thank you for letting me know. Here is the best email: info (at) sallysbakingaddiction.com

Reviews