Saturday Seven

Strawberry frosting on sallysbakingaddiction.com

Greetings from the beach! I’m in OCMD this weekend with my girlfriends. Hope you’re having a great one!

1) I made my yellow sheet cake and topped it with creamy strawberry buttercream the other week. I added *roughly* 1 cup of chopped strawberries to the cake batter, too. It was really good! And I’m sure the contractors loved the pretty pastel pink part. Wouldn’t this be cute for a baby shower?

2) Speaking of pink. How beautiful is this watermelon salad? I’m intrigued to try the honey lime dressing, too– it sounds perfect for summer entertaining. This one looks and sounds incredibly refreshing too.

3) A longtime reader suggested I try these flavored whipped honeys. How unreal does the salted bourbon vanilla sound? Or peach whipped honey on a fresh batch of scones or biscuits. I’m losing control over here! I haven’t ordered any yet, but those will be my first two. (Thanks Caley!)

4) Fellow dog people: Michelle from Brown Eyed Baker is on point, as always, with her DOGGY CAKE! (By the way, I owe you a coffee break post and lots of updates on Franklin. Coming soon!)

5) Thank you for all your recipe ideas and suggestions in this month’s comment & bake challenge. I’m blown away by your kitchen creativity and dessert enthusiasm. But seriously should I expect anything less?! I’m extending the giveaway until Monday, so if you haven’t entered yet… hop on over!

6) The Secret Life of Pets. I’m 31 years old but that is not stopping me from seeing it in theaters. And Finding Dory too. Have you seen either yet??

7) Last July, I shared these frozen mojito slushies and I’m begging you to try them this summer if you haven’t already. If you love mojitos, this is a really fun way to serve them!

Frozen Mojito Slushies-2

Q: Baking anything this weekend?!

Posted in

Comments

1. Camille on July 11, 2016 at 6:12 am

Those two movies are on my to-see list!
    I sincerely hope I’ll have some time to bake, as I’ve been very much inspired by this blog – hopefully the batch will include Nutella-brownies…

2. Judi N on July 11, 2016 at 10:29 am

Sally, I have been buying the whipped honey from Honeyville for years and giving it as gifts. I send a couple of jars every so often to my son and his family to keep them in cinnamon honey heaven! The honeys are delicious but so is everything else from that company: Strawberry rhubarb syrup, butter pecan syrup, cherry rhubarb jam…….oh my!

• Sally on July 11, 2016 at 7:29 pm

Now I’m even more excited!! Thanks Judi!

3. Courtney on July 11, 2016 at 1:56 pm

Oooo I somehow missed the mojito slushie recipe last year. Will be making that asap! I baked a smores pie for a friends BBQ and it was a huge hit! Perfect summer dessert 🙂

4. Maria on July 11, 2016 at 7:22 pm

That mojito slush in is calling my name! Next on my list of summer drinks!

5. Marilu on July 11, 2016 at 7:47 pm

Hi Sally!
    I love the strawberry yellow sheet cake! I made the yellow sheet cake with your vanilla frosting over July Fourth weekend and it was a huge hit! There were three people at the BBQ I attended who ate two pieces each! By the way, I’m pushing 50 and I can’t wait to see both Finding Dory AND The Secret Life of Pets! Luckily, I have three kids , so I have a great excuse – lol!

• Sally on July 11, 2016 at 8:20 pm

Hahaha! They both look so cute 🙂 And I’m so glad the cake was a big hit!

6. Deanna K. on July 11, 2016 at 9:13 pm

I hope you were able to get some Grotto’s pizza while in OCMD.  It’s my favorite!

7. Amanda G on July 12, 2016 at 11:46 pm

I have been looking forward to The Secret Life of Pets since I first saw the trailer ages ago. Looks so cute!! I baked a hazelnut plum tart today & am thinking coconut chocolate scones tomorrow. Quick question for you, my husband has been requesting a German chocolate cake for eons and I promised to finally do it, any good suggestions on a chocolate cake? I’m so scared it will be dry, I’m not a huge fan of cakes for this reason. I may just test some chocolate cakes and see what I can come up with, but thought I would ask.

• Sally on July 13, 2016 at 6:29 am

I know I can’t wait to see it! 🙂 I really love this homemade chocolate cake recipe. It’s VERY moist. One of my very favorites.

• Amanda Glavin on July 14, 2016 at 5:41 pm

Oh my gosh that cake looks like perfection. I’m going to give it a go! Thanks so much for always responding.

Reviews