Saturday Seven

Easy apple turnovers recipe on sallysbakingaddiction.com

Here’s what to do with your abundance of apples this month: super easy caramel apple turnovers. Yes yes I use puff pastry but sometimes you just don’t have time for the real stuff! This is actually an older recipe that I reshot recently.

Besides that, there’s so much I want to share with you today! First, what are you baking this weekend?

1) I picked up some new bowls at Anthropologie last week. I needed some cereal/soup bowls and these colorful latte bowls screamed adorable. From reading the reviews, they’re very popular! I also got the mini ones too– mostly for small amounts of prep ingredients for cooking/baking. I love all the colors. One more thing: I’ve gotten some questions about where I purchased the serving utensils you’ve seen in my pictures. These right here— also from Anthro!

2) We rented a pontoon boat while we were at Lake Wallenpaupack last weekend. I may have also purchased donut floats (complete with sprinkles) and a unicorn float. Are you a boat person? Are you a swimming person? A unicorn float person? I am all of the above, especially that last one. Jude’s definitely a boat dog.

3) Dying to try these chewy oatmeal zucchini cookies. I’ve had some trouble making cookies with zucchini in the past. Always too wet or too cakey. These look amazing and SO easy. As does this epic s’mores cheesecake from Brown Eyed Baker.

4) Fall baking: are you ready? Too early? Planning out my Fall baking list. I’ve got a lot of ideas, but want to know what you’re in the mood for.

5) 7 caramel-filled desserts! #4 sounds really, really good.

6) I made my salted caramel sauce again last week. Shot some new pictures for you too! I also have a new video for it– just so you can see how easy it really is. The granulated sugar really melts down like that. It’s incredible!

7) What I’m up to this month: we’re headed to The Lumineer’s concert tonight, I’m securing a Chicago baking/cooking demo for November (more details soon!), my friend’s wedding in a couple weeks, our 2nd wedding anniversary, apple picking!

salted caramel recipe

This post contains affiliate links. Thanks for helping me promote brands and products I enjoy.

Comments

1. heather (delicious not gorgeous) on September 10, 2016 at 3:17 am

i love “ho hey”; very mainstream, i know, but it’s the kind of song that instantly calms me down and makes me feel all warm inside. and if you haven’t checked out lennon and maisy’s cover of it, i highly recommend (:

• Sally on September 11, 2016 at 2:07 pm

They played it last night! One of my faves too. I’ll check out the cover, thanks for sharing!

2. Krithika on September 10, 2016 at 6:19 am

I just baked up your chocolate zucchini bread to take to work tomorrow. Hopefully that will add some cheer to the prospect of working over the weekend.
    I’ve never been fruit picking! I know there are some great places to go apple picking around Seattle. I’ll have to check it out and make some caramel apple cake! Or the apple pie bars with caramel sauce that’s been on my list of things to make forever.
    LOVE those bowls!! I’ve been on the lookout for small bowls to use for ice cream, so I can stop eating pints at a time because “that single scoop looks so sad in my big big bowl”. I think the mini cups might be the ticket!

• Sally on September 11, 2016 at 2:07 pm

Hahaha the bowls make perfect ice cream bowls. 🙂

3. Nathalia on September 10, 2016 at 6:49 am

I made your apple turnovers! I had a homemade 15 minute puff pastry on hand (delicious!) and your apple filling was perfect to go with it. My dad liked them… And he doesn’t even like apple pie.
    As for weekend baking, I might make your snickerdoodles. They are my fiancé’s favorite.

• Sally on September 11, 2016 at 2:06 pm

Nothing beats homemade pastry! Especially pastry that quick. 🙂

4. Stacey on September 10, 2016 at 7:56 am

We are apple picking soon and I will definitely make your turnovers. In the meantime I am going to bake your chocolate pumpkin bread! Any other suggestions for my fall baking??

5. Amy on September 10, 2016 at 8:45 am

Happy Saturday!
    I got up this morning too early for a Saturday! A friend is coming over to learn how to make cake pops so I needed to get ready. I made a double batch of chocolate buttercream and rolled half of a 9X13 sheet cake into balls. We will make more cake balls when she gets here and dip the ones that have been chilling!
    To your question on fall baking…I LOVE Fall baking!! I love to make pumpkin spice cake pops-the teeny tiny leaves make these pops! I also love to make pumpkin bread-mine are made in 3X5 mini loaves and are so spicy and moist.
    I cannot wait to see what pops up on your site! I love trying new things….and I think the pumpkin pancakes are on the menu for Sunday. It actually felt like fall last night in Denver!
    Enjoy!!

• Sally on September 11, 2016 at 2:02 pm

Jealous of your Fall weather! We’re melting over here on the east coast. Pumpkin spice cake pops sound so fun!

6. Mrs. K @ Mrs Kringle's Kitchen on September 10, 2016 at 10:00 am

I’ve been watching the local apple orchard with eagle eyes and see that my baking apples will be ready in 2 weeks! For us, once the calendar flips to September, it’s apple and pumpkin everything! 🙂 Now if you’ll excuse me, I have some salted caramel sauce to make! WOW that looks good!

• Sally on September 11, 2016 at 2:01 pm

Yeah! I think you should try apple anything with this salted caramel. Apple cake, apple bread, apple muffins, apple pie…!

7. Susan on September 10, 2016 at 10:28 am

I used to leave ‘ve in Scranton. Been to Lake Wallenpaupak several times. Love your recipes. My grandson demolishes your blueberry muffin recipe. I added lemon zest for a kick. Thanks.

• Sally on September 11, 2016 at 2:00 pm

Great addition to them!

8. Peppermint Dolly on September 10, 2016 at 10:34 am

I actually just want to be sat on my couch with a spoon and the salted caramel sauce pictured here….is that really so bad? In my defence, I’ve hurt my foot so I’m couch bound and need minding, Hubby is doing a great job….but I feel like salted caramel sauce would REALLY help 🙂

Rxx

• Sally on September 11, 2016 at 2:00 pm

I think it’s the best medicine. 😉

FEEL BETTER!

9. Sarah B. on September 10, 2016 at 10:56 am

Hello there! I’m actually browsing your recipes looking for inspiration..or temptation, either way. I actually just baked my first bundt cake which was your Apple recipe with the brown sugar glaze. It was a huge hit and I left the party with only a small section remaining. I can’t wait for this summer heat to break…bring on the crunchy leaves and fall desserts!

• Sally on September 11, 2016 at 1:47 pm

I love that bundt cake! Thanks for reminding me about it. I have to make it this Fall season.

10. Kelly on September 10, 2016 at 2:36 pm

Bring on the fall baking! It’s still so hot here that fall can’t come soon enough! It’s my favorite season, with pumpkin and cinnamon in everything. 😀

• Sally on September 11, 2016 at 1:42 pm

SO hot here too! But that’s not stopping me– I just baked pumpkin muffins this morning!

11. Maria on September 10, 2016 at 3:55 pm

Fall recipes that I would love you to do include pumpkin scones, a savory breaksfast scone, giant corn muffins (need to keep my jumbo muffin pan working!) Pumpkin ice cream is my husband’s favorite but I haven’t found a simple and tasty recipe for it. Thanks and enjoy the weekend!

• Sally on September 11, 2016 at 1:35 pm

Such great recipes to celebrate fall! I would love a simple pumpkin ice cream recipe as well.

12. Emma on September 10, 2016 at 4:18 pm

Yum yum yum. Mmmmmmmm. I can almost smell them!

Delicious!
    Emma

13. Colleen on September 10, 2016 at 4:21 pm

Hi Sally! These are on my bake wishlist for the weekend. I can’t wait to fill the house with the smell of cinnamon and see the happy looks on the faces of my hubby and sons.  They all love snickerdoodles and have no idea about the caramel surprise they’re in store for in the middle of these. I think I’m going to be a cookie hero

14. Emma Boggs on September 10, 2016 at 7:58 pm

I am literally beyond excited for fall to get here!
    Fall baking ideas include… How to make a chai latte? Or a lightened up PSL? Maybe a soft sugar cookie with a pumpkin pie spice frosting? Random thought there. Also… Some sort of Halloween themed cupcake or treat would be adorable!

• Sally on September 11, 2016 at 1:29 pm

Such wonderful suggestions, thank you!

15. Regina on September 10, 2016 at 8:57 pm

I made your chocolate peanut butter sheet cake today for a picnic tomorrow. It’s a huge hit!
    Caramel recipes for fall please! I’m baking your caramel snickerdoodles once it cools down a little here in Baltimore.

• Sally on September 11, 2016 at 1:28 pm

I’m in Maryland too! WAY too hot, hard to get into the fall spirit. Yesterday’s humidity was painful!

16. Austria Azaceta on September 11, 2016 at 12:05 pm

Hi Sally!
    LOVE the look of those turnovers!  I’m so a summer girl & will miss it incredibly until next year BUT I do enjoy the fall (especially the baking!)…. As soon as Sept 22nd hits I will be making my first batch of pumpkin butter of the season & proceed to put it on everything… I look forward to apple picking & then making as many apple pies as people are willing to help me eat around here! And i cannot wait to see what you have in store for us!! I’m gonna be making your ‘best ever’ banana bread shortly to use up some very questionable bananas…. Have a lovely week!

• Sally on September 11, 2016 at 1:21 pm

I love pumpkin butter and am looking for a good recipe for it! Enjoy the banana bread– and the rest of your weekend!

17. Hayley on September 11, 2016 at 3:04 pm

LOVE all the new kitchenware you bought from Anthropologie! Absolutely gorgeous; I want (but don’t really NEED, I suppose) bowls like that – I have a similar serving utensils set that I always break out for special occasions. Pretty kitchenware is always a must. And no, it’s not too early for Fall baking! Fall baking to me immediately starts following September first. I made cinnamon apple muffins last week and a pumpkin spice coffee cake today, so I won’t be waiting until October to make more pumpkin and apple recipes! Definitely looking forward to seeing some Fall recipes around here. I have been wanting to try that caramel apple turnover recipe, too; I don’t mind using puff pastry and shortcuts like that once in a while – still better than totally store bought and still pretty quick 🙂

• Sally on September 12, 2016 at 1:14 pm

100% agreed on pretty kitchenware. Sometimes it’s hard (ok, impossible) for me to draw the line. Do I really need 12 rubber spatulas with cute sayings on them? Hahaha

18. Nicola on September 11, 2016 at 3:26 pm

This weekend’s baking involved a Victoria sandwich (because I really wanted one!), chocolate biscuits for the kids, and chocolate soured cream cupcakes for the husband (Instead of the old-fashioned chocolate cake he insists I make him every week!)

We’ve been eating a lot of strawberries over the summer, so last week I bought in cooking apples and we had Eve’s pudding, just to stop the grumbling.  Between that and crumble, that’s autumn nailed!

• Sally on September 12, 2016 at 1:13 pm

chocolate sour cream cupcakes sound unbelieeeeeevable.

19. Jackie on September 11, 2016 at 5:31 pm

I’m doing the King Arthur September bake-along recipe, inside-out pumpkin muffins: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/inside-out-pumpkin-muffins-recipe . I didn’t make the streusel because it makes them harder to store, and I used honey in place of the boiled cider. They’re in the oven right now–hoping they will be good breakfast and snack items for my kids this week!

• Sally on September 12, 2016 at 1:12 pm

Those look unbelievable!

• Jackie on September 12, 2016 at 1:14 pm

My kids ate half of the dozen in the first two hours they were out of the oven, so I’m calling them a hit!

20. Del's cooking twist on September 11, 2016 at 9:01 pm

Oh, I’m so happy you’re coming to Chicago!!! I just moved to the US exactly in Chicago. I have been willing to meet you for years and I will finally have the occasion to when I’ll see you at the baking demo. There is no way I can miss this. Can’t wait, I’m so excited 🙂

• Sally on September 12, 2016 at 1:11 pm

YAY! I can’t wait to meet you too!

Reviews