Saturday Seven

Pumpkin cinnamon rolls on sallysbakingaddiction.com

Greetings from Chicago! The last of my travels before I climb under a rock to write the better half of Sally’s Cookie Addiction. Speaking of, I finished a couple more cookbook recipes this week. I’m trying to stick to a schedule of 2 cookie recipes developed and tested per week. This gives me enough time to truly focus on each individual recipe. There are so many cookies flying out of my kitchen. And I haven’t even started baking for the 4th annual Christmas cookie palooza yet!! My entire freezer is… butter and cookies.

Here’s also what’s happening:

1) It’s been a goal of mine the past few months to reshoot older blog recipes. Recipes I’m making anyway with dinner or to satisfy a massive a craving (hello beautiful). I feel like this breathes new life into some old favorites. Most recently? Pumpkin cinnamon rolls. Our friends brought us over dinner earlier this week and I sent them home with half the pan!

2) Latest recipe video: Reese’s stuffed peanut butter cookies.

3) Scrolled through my blog reader the other week and this easy pear almond streusel bread stopped me in my tracks. Let’s all bake with pears more often. Also: apple and pear hand pies!#piegoals

4) I haven’t talked about running in awhile! My treadmill broke last week– it’s just over 2 years old, but it was a pretty cheap model. Still, it should’ve lasted longer before something went wrong, right? It’s not like I’m running 10 miles a day on the thing! So we recently purchased a refurbished elliptical. There’s a few fantastic running trails by our new house too, but it’s getting super cold out. Do you enjoy running outside in the cold? I’m not a winter runner!

5) Here’s your complete guide to Thanksgiving. We’re making this herb roasted turkey for Friendsgiving next weekend. The citrus drew me to it! I’ll let you know how it is. Do you have a favorite turkey recipe?

6) Happy 6 month adoptaversary Franklin. You make life even more interesting and definitely more hilarious. ♥

7) I’m teaching a pie crust class at the America’s Baking and Sweets Show today! And in case you need 1 more pie option for your Thanksgiving feast, here’s the apple slab pie I’ll be passing around as samples.

Q: What are you baking this weekend?

Comments

1. Caley on November 12, 2016 at 7:17 am

I had an elliptical in Colorado but had to leave it behind. I liked it better than a treadmill, though, because I have old-woman joints from gymnastics 😉 I miss it! I’ve been dealing with a stupid leg injury, so I haven’t done anything in seven weeks and I’m going crazy :`( I hope you enjoy it!

• Sally on November 13, 2016 at 6:58 pm

You poor thing! I’m hoping it heals quickly. I know you miss it!

2. Kati | black.white.vivid. on November 12, 2016 at 8:21 am

Your pumpkin cinnamon rolls look absolutely heavenly. So moist and soft. Yum! And Happy Adoptaversary. I adopted my two cats too and it’s one of the best things I have done in my life. x Kati

• Sally on November 13, 2016 at 6:57 pm

So sweet 🙂

3. Marina @ A Dancer's Live-It on November 12, 2016 at 8:39 am

Have fun in Chicago, I wish I was there!! And happy adopt-a-versary to Franklin, can’t believe it’s been that long already. Soooo excited for your annual cookie palooza, bring it on! 🙂

• Sally on November 13, 2016 at 6:57 pm

Time has flown by so quickly with little franklin!!

4. Andrea on November 12, 2016 at 10:14 am

I bought 4 pie pumpkins from Menards for .49 each on clearance. I’m in a mood and don’t feel like doing anything, at all. Haven’t ran, strength trained, I did bake your chocolate chip cookies but I only ate 2, gave hubby 6 for work, the kids had 4… so they went pretty fast. I have only felt like laying on the couch. I really hope I do something with those pumpkins before they get yucky.

• Sally on November 13, 2016 at 6:57 pm

I go through phases like that too. I always try to remind myself that I feel better after a little something active. Even if it’s short, you know?

5. Austria Azaceta on November 12, 2016 at 10:44 am

Hi Sally!
    Those cinnamon rolls look incredible!!   I cannot wait for your cookie palooza!!! Always look forward to it….  I am completely in love with that apple cranberry pie you posted recently & plan on making it for Thanksgiving. Also, gonna make the pumpkin oatmeal cookies (LOVE them) & chocolate hazelnut ones from your e-book along with the vanilla bean caramel candies to send my brother a box (& eat some myself of course).
    I love running but am definitely NOT a winter runner (preferably mid 50’s & up!) so my treadmill gets more use this time of year.
    Also wanted to add that the cornbread stuffing looks amazing!!! I may just have to try it just for dinner one of these nights….
    Happy weekend!!!

• Sally on November 13, 2016 at 6:55 pm

So much to bake, so little time! You’ve chosen some of my new favorites from these fall months, especially that apple cranberry pie. I have a huge weakness for it! Let me know how you (and everyone) likes it!

6. Karen T on November 12, 2016 at 11:00 am

I love your blog….and Franklin is absolutely adorable! I used to run before kids and outside no matter what the temperatures….extremes of a foot of snow to minus 6….to 100 degrees….yes, I was crazy. After kids I switched to indoors….I used a nordic track skier. I am still an indoor exerciser at the age of 60….check out youtube for lots of free workouts….try jessicasmithtv.com or benderfitness.com…both have something for everyone.

I can’t wait to start baking and cooking from your blog…Thank you! Love it!

• Sally on November 13, 2016 at 6:54 pm

Thanks so much for the youtube suggestions! I’m a workout video junkie, so I really appreciate it. Oh and thank you for the kind words!

7. Sandy Dickson on November 12, 2016 at 11:37 am

So fun meeting you and attending your cookie session last night here at the Baking and Sweets show. So sorry for the big mix-up with what you expected to be in the room – but you did great!!
       You should come join me in the fitness center here at the hotel tomorrow morning! There are several ellipticals and they’re great (voice of experience). Helps to get in a morning workout to offset the samples that are shared here throughout the day.

• Sally on November 13, 2016 at 6:53 pm

Thanks Sandy– and the cookie demo on Friday was so much fun. I love teaching smaller classes like that. We all have a blast because it’s a more intimate class. We actually stayed in a different hotel and I definitely squeezed in a workout. I went to the show again today and tried WAY too many samples!

8. Carrie Crespino on November 12, 2016 at 11:40 am

I’m making your salted caramel pretzel crunch bars for this cold sunny Saturday!! I am def not a winter runner, scientifically proven! (almost!) Happy weekend!

• Sally on November 13, 2016 at 6:51 pm

Hope you enjoyed the bars!

9. Ann on November 12, 2016 at 11:42 am

I love the idea of reshooting old recipes! I’ve also got to start thinking about what to make for this year’s family cookie exchange. So far, I have baked the Cake Batter Blondies that you posted a while back and I documented it as the first post of my blog! I’d like to bake a spiced pumpkin bread next. 🙂

• Sally on November 13, 2016 at 6:50 pm

For a cookie exchange, I always recommend something a little unique. In fact, I was asked for suggestions this weekend and I think these peppermint mocha cookies are perfect for an exchange! They’re different, delicious, special, and not too difficult!

10. Laura @ The Bluenose Baker on November 12, 2016 at 11:42 am

I just made a batch of gingerbread squares – hoping they cool enough to cut before my Christmas craft afternoon! We have an old manual treadmill that hardly works – I might be able to get into running if I had an actual treadmill and could keep it up through the winter. I’ll walk on all but the coldest days though – looking forward to walks with my new little one in the spring!

• Sally on November 13, 2016 at 6:49 pm

Now THAT sounds like my kind of afternoon!

11. cakespy on November 12, 2016 at 12:29 pm

I hate cold weather so I am with you. I do yoga because it is indoors and often heated 🙂 Awesome links!

• Sally on November 13, 2016 at 6:47 pm

That’s my kind of exercise when it’s cold out too!

12. Cristina on November 12, 2016 at 12:35 pm

This weekend, I am starting my Christmas cookie baking! I know it sounds crazy, but I always have a cookie party the first week in December, so I freeze the cookies in advance. M&M, Chocolate Crinkles, and Classic Chocolate Chip are on the menu for today!

• Sally on November 13, 2016 at 6:47 pm

That’s not crazy– it’s SMART!

• Cristina on November 15, 2016 at 5:22 pm

Thank you! It’s so true!
        The cookie party I have in December is actually part of a service project called Cristina’s Cookies, Cards, and Cocoa that I started myself. This upcoming holiday season will be the fourth consecutive year I have been hosting a holiday card making party to send to elderly people residing in nursing homes. While working, we always enjoy LOTS of homemade cookies (always your recipes!) and drink hot cocoa to elevate the festive spirit. The event is always fun, and while working together, we accomplish so much. I was inspired to begin this project when my great-grandmother was placed in a nursing home at ninety-eight years old. Especially around the holiday season, these fragile people often do not have any visitors. Although it does not seem like much to us, a simple card can brighten someone’s day….
        Your cookie recipes play a major role in the event! We need them as fuel to write and decorate the cards – over 700 so far – and I plan to grow the project each year.
        I loved meeting you in Stamford and look forward to meeting you again on your next book tour! (And thank you for considering my peanut butter packaging idea!)

• Sally on November 16, 2016 at 5:25 pm

This makes me so happy. Thanks for sharing what your cookie party is all about. This is truly the season of giving and I feel like that message is often lost in the hustle bustle. Thank you for the reminder– any small act of kinds truly helps!

13. Diane on November 12, 2016 at 1:13 pm

My daughter made your White Chocolate Chip, Macadamia nut blondes, she is 13, and she doubled because we have such a large family (11 children) and she amazed us all with how delicious they were.  She loves your recipes and each week tries a new one.  Thank you and keep them coming.  Can’t wait to make your pumpkin cinnamon rolls.

• Sally on November 13, 2016 at 6:46 pm

11 children! So many mouths to feed with goodies. I love that she loves to bake!

14. Ellen @ My Uncommon Everyday on November 12, 2016 at 1:50 pm

I like cold-weather running! For safety reasons, I’ve been doing more treadmill running lately, but I’ll be training for the Disney princess half this winter and I hope I can do most of my longer runs outside.
    I’m leaning toward baking something simple (maybe chocolate almond butter cookies?) this weekend, but I can’t wait to start Christmas cookie baking once school is out! Definitely one of my favorite times of the year. 🙂

• Sally on November 13, 2016 at 6:46 pm

Such a fun race to train for! At least you’re running off all those Christmas cookies… 😉

15. Jennifer C on November 12, 2016 at 2:02 pm

I have the gear to keep working out in the cold, but I never do it! I can’t deal with the cold weather, so I end up doing Pilates in the warmth of the house. I’d give anything to go to your pie crust class – that’s still something I can’t seem to master. Have a great weekend, and happy adoptaversary with Franklin!

• Sally on November 13, 2016 at 6:44 pm

Thanks Jennifer! I hope to publish more posts about pie crust 101 because I know the entire thing can be daunting. It’s difficult to workout when it’s frigid outside. And actually– to even be motivated to workout!

16. Liz on November 12, 2016 at 2:33 pm

I’m in Chicago! It is getting cold here for sure. I’m trying a Tres Leches cake this weekend to go with a Mexican dinner with friends. I’ve never made one before – wish me luck!

• Sally on November 13, 2016 at 6:43 pm

That sounds like such a fun dinner party. If you have a great recipe for Tres Leches cake, I’d love to check it out!

17. Nicola on November 12, 2016 at 2:59 pm

I made Viennese Whirls today because I’m missing Great British Bake Off.  I’m still annoyed that last week I made your Double Chocolate Caramel Cookies, got 16 out of the batch, and my son ate 12 of them in 3 days.  This is what happens when he’s in the house on his own!  Although how I’m going to stop a 6 ft 2 in 18-year-old cycling fanatic from getting at the tin even when I am there, goodness knows…

• Sally on November 13, 2016 at 6:42 pm

Hahaha baked goods don’t stand a chance in your house!!

18. Ann on November 12, 2016 at 4:46 pm

I’m baking the whopper chocolate chip cookies in your candy addiction cookbook.  I’m trying to use up leftover Halloween candy.

• Sally on November 13, 2016 at 6:42 pm

Smart! I love the added texture they bring the cookies.

19. Yvonne D. on November 12, 2016 at 5:13 pm

Running not gonna happen! Definitely baking. Really want to make your salted caramel pretzel crunch bars but I’m afraid the caramel won’t come out right in 60% humidity.

• Sally on November 13, 2016 at 6:41 pm

I think you should be fine actually. This is a super simple and basic caramel recipe; it should set up quite nicely. It’s extremely humid where I live in the summertime and I’ve never had any big issues!

• Yvonne D. on November 14, 2016 at 11:56 am

Thanks – you were right. I did overcook it a tiny bit so I’ll be more careful next time.

20. Sara @ Last Night's Feast on November 12, 2016 at 6:14 pm

Enjoy your time in Chicago!

21. Kerry on November 12, 2016 at 6:51 pm

I can’t believe you don’t weigh like 500 pds! I know I sure would if I baked all that yummy stuff all the time. Keep up the good work. I’m patiently waiting for your new cookie book to come out

• Sally on November 13, 2016 at 6:40 pm

Haha! I can’t believe it either but, to be honest, you gotta build up some extreme self control around all the sweets. I’m so pumped about cookie addiction. It’s been so fun to write so far!

22. Dana on November 12, 2016 at 10:52 pm

I hate exercising, especially outside, but I do use my elliptical every day. We bought the extended warranty for it and it’s so worth it. Our repair guy said home fitness equipment isn’t actually built for use. Manufacturers build it figuring people will use it for a month and then it ends up as clothes storage. So our next model will be commercial, I think. Definitely a must-have if you bake, right?! 🙂

• Sally on November 13, 2016 at 6:39 pm

That’s good to know! Because we use our gym equipment often– have to balance out the sweets pumped out of the kitchen.

23. M.A. Franklin on November 12, 2016 at 11:04 pm

Hi Sally I just had to share a tip on your new Sweet Potato pie recipe of yours that I’ve already made 2 times this week. I’ve made sweet potato pies for years but instead of boiling the potatoes I throw those sweets in the oven and roast them! This adds another layer of flavor. I took your tip of the heavy cream instead of the usual evaporated milk I used which will now be my keeper. My recent college grad daughter must’ve loved it too since she posted on social media that my pie was LIT !! Thanks for your recipes Sally !!

• Sally on November 13, 2016 at 6:38 pm

Hahaha LIT! I love it. Then you know it’s a good pie. I’m so happy to hear you love the recipe so much. I worked on that one for quite awhile. I’m definitely going to try your roasted trick. Who wouldn’t love that extra flavor!?

24. Hope on November 13, 2016 at 4:30 am

Hi Sally!

For thanksgiving i want to make Boston cream pie, but I can’t find a good recipe anywhere, do you have any advice, or a recipe ?

• Sally on November 13, 2016 at 6:36 pm

Hey Hope! Ahhh the delicious boston cream pie. My mother in law has a wonderful recipe, but I don’t have it with me at the moment. I’ve tried this recipe actually– and it’s over-the-top. In a good way! I recommend it.

25. Tori//Gringalicious.com on November 13, 2016 at 7:33 am

Your Saturday Seven posts are always the best! I loved this week’s and that latest video is making me drool!

• Sally on November 13, 2016 at 6:35 pm

Thanks Tori!

26. Kelley on November 13, 2016 at 9:49 am

I got a new treadmill in March after the old one pooped out. I run on it in the hottest part of the summer and the coldest parts of winter, so it’s time to get it oiled.  Have to keep up the regimen if I’m going to continue baking the goodies you put forth! 🙂  One thing I’m going to start trying is Treadmill TV on youtube.  They’ve got some interesting “trails” for you that makes it seem like you’re on them. Should make the time go faster when you have to be running indoors. Maybe they have something for elliptical workouts?  Love that Franklin!

• Sally on November 13, 2016 at 6:35 pm

I’ve seen those “trails” on certain treadmill screens in hotels and always use them! I didn’t even know youtube had a specific channel for them– seriously so cool.

27. Maggie on November 13, 2016 at 10:56 am

So sorry I missed you this weekend at the America’s Baking and Sweets show! We went in the afternoon yesterday and I had hoped I might be able to catch you after your class, but I guess I was too late. Hope you are enjoying the show, I was a little disappointed in that I had a different idea of what it would be in my head. Much smaller in person. But I did get a few goodies to take home with me. Have a safe trip home!

• Sally on November 13, 2016 at 6:34 pm

Hi Maggie! It was certainly MUCH smaller this year. I’m unsure why. So sorry I missed you; we left to go explore the city after my class 🙂

28. Natasha on November 13, 2016 at 1:46 pm

these look amazing!!! x

29. Cookie on November 14, 2016 at 7:47 am

I was trying to bake something sweet and healthy… joyful. And Baked Apple Perfection was the answer.
    Please try it. You will love it. http://www.5starcookies.com/2016/11/14/baked-apple-perfection/

30. Shelby @ Go Eat and Repeat on November 14, 2016 at 8:53 am

Love your updates Sally! I’ve been contemplating reshooting old recipes forever now. Some of my best recipes are the very first ones I ever posted! Do you just update the photos on the original post, or do you make a brand new post to publish with the updated photos?

• Sally on November 14, 2016 at 11:52 am

You could do it either way, but I simply update the photos in the original post.

Reviews