Coffee Break

nutella-chocolate-chip-cookies

Another batch of Nutella chocolate chip cookies this week! We’re going over our friend’s house tomorrow night for dinner and I’m bringing a sampling of cookies along. These ↑ and 5 recipes I tested this week for Sally’s Cookie Addiction.

Lately I’ve been throwing myself into cookbook writing, but it’s been blissfully wonderful turning off the lights in my office each night by 7pm. Normally by now I’d be deep in the throes of writing, purely exhausted writing at 12am and my mind completely evaporating where I can’t even hold a conversation… unless it’s about baking. Stressed and dangerously testing my limits. I absolutely LOVE writing cookbooks, but it’s a large time commitment. We’ve talked about this before, but work/life balance is on the forefront of my mind right now. I recently had a conversation with a friend who reminded me that happiness isn’t just something that lands on our doorsteps, we have to actively seek it out and make it happen.

Here’s to unapologetically taking more time for yourself this year, resting, relaxing, and finding happiness in each day.

coffee-break-flowers

Oh and about those Nutella chocolate chip cookies? No dough chilling. They’re a pretty quick and easy cookie recipe!

Here’s my 1st book pick from your suggestions last week: 19 Minutes by Jodi Picoult. I have a hard time getting into books and 19 Minutes seems not only suspenseful and compelling, but thought provoking and emotional as well. Who’s read it? Just got it yesterday.

Tonight’s date night. After the Golden Globe sweep, I talked Kevin into seeing La La Land. Has anyone seen it?

Here’s something I’m in love with right now. In fact, I’m wondering WHAT I did so long without them. These flour containers. I have 4: one for brown sugar, flour, granulated sugar, and confectioners’ sugar. They each hold 5 pounds so if you bake a lot, they’re a fantastic size. They have airtight closure. Kevin actually found them on Amazon and bought me one to start– loved them so much I bought 3 more. I want even more– maybe for cocoa powder and another for chocolate chips. They’re certainly not as gorgeous as some flour containers, so I keep them in the cabinets. Take them all out on baking days.

flour-storage-containers

The containers *do* have a built in leveler inside but you can’t use it unless the container is only half full. However I always suggest spooning and leveling off with a knife or your finger, so I don’t even use the leveler.

It snowed last weekend! Actually, let’s call it a dusting. Nevertheless, it was Franklin’s first time in the snow. He was born in February, but we adopted him in May. So maybe he’s already seen snow? But he sure looked confused and intrigued when we let him out that morning.

What IS this stuff??

franklin-in-the-snow

franklin-in-the-snow-2

( Lol Jude ↑ )

Dogs are doing well! They both have check-ups today at the vet. Jude’s been doing wonderfully since this past Fall when we learned he has mild arthritis. He’s getting older and it shows– we just take it easy with him these days. Still happy as a clam, as always. Franklin’s almost 1 already! He’s about 55 lbs by now– and I notice him getting taller these days. He has so much personality, just like Jude. I honestly don’t know what I’d do without these two! ♥

Did you see the new video for homemade ham and cheese pockets? We made this video a few months ago, but I just shared it the other week. Wanted to SHOW you how simple these are. I use my favorite homemade pizza dough but you can use store-bought dough if you prefer. Instead of ham and cheese, fill with some small pieces of broccoli and cheese! Or pepperoni, cheese, and pizza sauce.

cheese & ham pockets-2

In case you need help drinking enough water during the day OR are throwing a fairytale enchanted birthday party, unicorn straws exist. They’re at Target in the party section!

unicorn-straw

And lastly: be a cupcake in a world full of muffins.

be-a-beautiful-cupcake-in-a-world-full-of-muffins

Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pays me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting Sally’s Baking Addiction.

Comments

1. maggie on January 13, 2017 at 6:03 pm

I loved 19 Minutes! Jodi Picoult books are hit or miss for me but that one is one of my all time favorite books – by any author! I seem to be the only one, but I didn’t like La La Land! I’d been looking forward to it for months and was so, so disappointed. I hope you like it, though!

2. Zoe Skaggs on January 13, 2017 at 6:13 pm

Those cookies look SO good! Never heard of La La Land(the movie) but end up in it a lot of the time… Also, your dogs are absolutely adorable.
    I am very, very weird, so I think I can call myself a cupcake in a world of muffins. 😉
    Will continue to read your blog, have enjoyed it so far! If possible, please include a recipe for the cookies in the future. 🙂 🙂 🙂

3. Laura | Tutti Dolci on January 14, 2017 at 12:26 am

Franklin is so cute exploring the snow! I’m in love with your cookies (those Nutella swirls! No dough chilling!) and I love your flour containers. Thanks for the tip!

4. Kate on January 14, 2017 at 3:18 am

But… surely I’m not the only one who thinks it’s fine to be a beautiful and wholesome muffin? 😀

• Sally on January 14, 2017 at 10:59 am

Haha you’re not. A super blueberry packed muffin with streusel on top? Beats a cupcake. 😉

5. Caley on January 14, 2017 at 5:56 am

I hope you enjoy your book choice! I’m not really a Jodi Picoult fan, but I know tons of people are 🙂 However, My Sister’s Keeper absolutely ticked me off, haha. I’m still mad about how it ended, and it’s been like 10 years 😉 That picture of the vase/flowers is gorgeous!!!!

• Sally on January 14, 2017 at 10:59 am

Thank you for your suggestions though!

• Allison on January 18, 2017 at 4:42 pm

Well everyone likes different things!! My Sister’s Keep is one of my favorite books, it’s heart breaking!!!!!!

6. Marina @ A Dancer's Live-It on January 14, 2017 at 8:44 am

Jude and Franklin make me smile. 🙂 And those flour containers are going right in my Amazon cart, thanks for sharing!! 🙂 I can only imagine how crazy writing a cookbook is, but I’m sending you all the stress-free vibes right now! Have a great weekend Sally 🙂

• Sally on January 14, 2017 at 10:55 am

Thank you!!!

7. Muna Kenny on January 14, 2017 at 8:59 am

I didn’t read 19 minutes, but your post inspired me to start reading again. it’s been a while since I held a book to read, what a shame! I wish you all the success in your cookbooks and blog 🙂

8. Katy Kreider on January 14, 2017 at 9:26 am

Sal – I have legit read every Jodi book.  When you need to know which ones are the best – ☎️ me.

• Sally on January 14, 2017 at 10:53 am

Thanks love!

9. Patricia @Sweet and Strong on January 14, 2017 at 9:49 am

Omg those cookies!  I have a bachelorette party next weekend and think they would be the perfect sweet treat.  And I NEED more containers for all my sugars and flours, I hate having an unorganized pantry.  Have a great weekend!

10. Nicola on January 14, 2017 at 12:18 pm

I remember having whole conversations with a rather depressive friend at Uni about how you had to look for happiness.  It’s a good thing to be looking for!  I often find it where there is cake…

Love the dogs in the snow.  Your dusting is rather more than the dusting that was on our trampoline yesterday morning – is this another case of American things being bigger than British ones?? 😀

• Sally on January 15, 2017 at 4:11 pm

Hahahaha. I wanted even more snow!

11. Amy on January 14, 2017 at 3:09 pm

Sally,
    One my favorite teachers came in yesterday and showed me the “be a cupcake”. It was great to see it here! I have a “Keep Calm and Eat a Cupcake” in my office.
    I love your big containers for flour and sugar. My mother-in-law gave us big containers years ago and I have LOVED them-the best gift she ever gave me. I use them for flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar and powered sugar. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have!

• Sally on January 15, 2017 at 4:10 pm

I’m loving the big containers so far. What did we do so long without these things?!

12. Carolyn on January 14, 2017 at 3:57 pm

I loved La La Land but I live in La La Land so I am probably biased. And I saw Ryan Gosling at Starbucks last month and told him that!! He’s adorable.

• Sally on January 15, 2017 at 4:09 pm

Ahhhhhhhh really?? I’d be too star-struck to even speak.

• Carolyn on January 15, 2017 at 4:11 pm

He might just be too star-struck to speak to YOU!

• Sally on January 15, 2017 at 4:12 pm

Hahahaha majorly DOUBTFUL 😉

• Carolyn on January 15, 2017 at 4:17 pm

You never know. He might be a cupcake connoisseur!

13. Kelsey on January 14, 2017 at 9:31 pm

19 Minutes if great!! I had to read it senior year of high school, and I throughly enjoyed it! I’m definintely not one to enjoy reading either. Hope you love it!

• Sally on January 15, 2017 at 4:06 pm

I haven’t been able to put it down all weekend!

14. Eleanor on January 15, 2017 at 6:03 am

19 Minutes is my favorite Jodi Picoult book. It is super sad, but fairly fast paced and easy to read. I just got her newest book and it is on my to read list probably for next month. Those ham and cheese pockets look great. My boyfriend said he wanted me to grab hot pockets. I think I will make and freeze those instead.

• Sally on January 15, 2017 at 4:05 pm

I’m already speeding through 19 minutes this weekend. A definite page turner!

15. Carrie on January 24, 2017 at 10:37 am

Amazon has the CUTEST vinyl label stickers to put on canisters, I have some for my flour, sugar and coffee. They are sturdy, washable and adorable!

Reviews