June Baking Challenge

Yesterday was the pits. Meaning… I pitted a bazillion cherries. Thankfully I recently bought a cherry pitter to make summer baking 50x easier. If you plan to make a lot of cherry desserts this summer (hint hint: you will), definitely go grab one.

But besides that… guess what?! We’re already halfway through the workweek! And tomorrow is June 1st, so you know what that means: June Baking Challenge is upon us. 🙂

Let’s rewind in case you have no idea what I’m talking about.

What is the Baking Challenge?

• On the 1st of every month, I post a new recipe complete with a quick how-to video, plenty of tips, tricks, and photos.
  • I want you to bake the recipe yourself during that month! Come back and tell me how it went.
  • If you’d like, share your photos throughout the month using #sallysbakingchallenge on Instagram or email me, tweet me, or upload a photo of your recipe to my Facebook page. I want you all involved!
  • If you don’t like a particular flavor in that month’s recipe, there is an alternate Monthly Baking Challenge recipe.

Let’s Recap May

Recipe: Strawberries ‘n’ Cream Cake Roll

For the month of May, we focused on a new type of cake. Actually, two new types of cake. We haven’t explored cake rolls very much on my website, nor have we ever discussed sponge cake. I wanted to combine both to really give you something unique to try out in May. The result? Your inspiring pieces of cake art! Browsing through the hashtag on Instagram, I see dozens of this rolled beauty. Some with whipped cream on top, beautiful piped rosed on top, others have loads of strawberries– even some without the strawberry frosting and whipped cream in the center instead. This is one of the most beautiful desserts I’ve ever created and I’m so happy to see that many of you tried the recipe out as well.

Check out all the photos using #sallysbakingchallenge hashtag on Instagram. And here’s a bunch that are either there, sent to me, or posted on my Facebook page:

Hypnotizing cake rolls! I love it all so much.

June Baking Challenge

Now let’s chat about June’s recipe. I’ve had this recipe in mind for months! Let’s kick off summer with a super fun, swirly twirly, blueberry lemon no-bake treat. Now, this isn’t really a *challenging* recipe but the challenge is this: have you ever made icebox cake before? Yes? No? Maybe? It’s unique, for sure. I posted a recipe for one last summer, but the June Baking Challenge icebox cake will be much different. I’ll publish the recipe on my blog tomorrow where I’ll walk you through the process with plenty of step-by-step pictures so you feel confident making this summertime treat at home. ALSO!!! I’ll be making it on Facebook Live tomorrow at 2pm ET just in case step-by-step photos aren’t enough. I know I’m a super visual learner and video tutorials always help me out!

If you want to be prepared, here are the items you need.

1. 9×5 inch loaf pan
  2. electric mixer
  3. a freezer

Come back tomorrow for the recipe, tutorial, and the alternate June recipe. See you soon!

Comments

1. Cristina on May 31, 2017 at 12:07 am

Yay! Definitely trying this one. By the way, LOVING  the Facebook Live videos. I’ve been rewatching them just because they make me happy. It feels so personal and like we are baking right alongside of you.

• Sally on May 31, 2017 at 8:44 am

Thank you so much, Cristina– and I LOVE doing them and interacting with readers. It’s just a fun new way to connect, you know?

2. Laura on May 31, 2017 at 12:41 am

SO psyched about cherries- and this delicious baking project!! My six year old and I loved the berries and cream icebox from last year. It was featured at our 4th of July party- in fact, she is already planning on making it ‘herself’ again this year! Can’t wait to check this out tomorrow! Looks like the perfect spin on a favorite!

• Sally on May 31, 2017 at 8:44 am

YAY! I hope she (and you!) enjoy the next icebox cake tomorrow 🙂

3. Nissa on May 31, 2017 at 5:17 am

So looking forward!

4. Jenny from jennyisbaking.com on May 31, 2017 at 6:36 am

I am looking forward to it. I have never made an ice box cake, so nice challenge!

5. Patricia @Sweet and Strong on May 31, 2017 at 7:18 am

Oh I’m excited for this one!  I’ve never made an ice box cake before and lemon and blueberries is such a delicious combo!

6. Austria Azaceta on May 31, 2017 at 10:26 am

Hi Sally!
    Unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to try the cake roll for May (but still intend on making it at some point).  I love that June’s challenge is an ice box cake!  I’ve never made or even eaten ice box cake but was just recently showing my sister your berry one & how intrigued I was.  And anything blue berry i’m in!! I like that its in a loaf pan too (smaller than your other one right?).  I made a batch of your oatmeal chocolate chip cookies last friday to take with us on a family wknd away & everyone LOVED them!! Needless to say none of them made it back home with me…. 🙂

• Sally on May 31, 2017 at 3:27 pm

Hi Austria! This is actually the typical loaf pan I use for pound cakes/breads/etc – it’s my 9×5 inch!

I’m glad those oatmeal choc chips were a hit!

7. Sarah on May 31, 2017 at 10:39 am

Can’t wait for this recipe! Perfect timing – my boyfriend’s birthday is Friday, and blueberry and lemon flavor are his favorite. Can’t wait to start doing this challenge!

• Sally on May 31, 2017 at 1:27 pm

Yay! Happy birthday to him!

8. Sharon K (The Farm Chick Bakes) on May 31, 2017 at 11:56 am

Can’t wait! Lemon and Blueberry scream refreshing, bright and super delicious!

9. Kristi Reiniche on May 31, 2017 at 12:01 pm

Which cherry pitter do you use? I pitted some cherries by hand to put in my yogurt this morning….and I thought there had to be a better way!! 🙂

• Yvonne D on May 31, 2017 at 2:01 pm

There’s a link in the first paragraph, right under the picture.

• Sally on May 31, 2017 at 3:27 pm

Hi Kristi! Here it is: https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Cherry-Olive-Pitter/dp/B008FWD4HQ/

10. Sofia on May 31, 2017 at 12:31 pm

I am so excited for June’s baking challenge! I’ve always wanted to try an icebox cake! Love the cherries!

• Sally on May 31, 2017 at 1:28 pm

Great! Hope you love it!!

11. Ella on May 31, 2017 at 1:01 pm

Oh my!  I am excited to try this.  I don’t do Facebook so I will content myself with your step by step.  Lemon and blueberries are a combo made in heaven!!

12. Michelle on May 31, 2017 at 1:19 pm

Thank you Sally for these beautiful desserts and for the dessert of the month idea. You are inspirational and make us home cooks feel like we can really accomplish something special. Thank you!

• Sally on May 31, 2017 at 1:31 pm

Thank YOU, Michelle for your incredibly kind words 🙂

13. Diana on May 31, 2017 at 4:26 pm

Looking forward to June’s Baking Challenge! Loved May, and am already thinking about what other flavors I can roll up! Maybe lemon curd, or chocolate! My family also loved the oatmeal chocolate chip cookies! Everyone thinks I should open a bakery, ( I remind them they are not my recipes)so a big thank you for all your fantastic recipes! Love the facebook live as well!

14. Cindy H on May 31, 2017 at 4:50 pm

Can’t wait to try this one. Being gluten free, I think I can do this very successfully! Well, at least I’ll try to!

15. Nikeva on June 5, 2017 at 7:00 pm

I’m anxious to see the recipe. I’ve never made an icebox cake but I can’t wait to try. Thanks so much Sally!!

Reviews