Latest Recipe Testing

Recipe testing babka on sallysbakingaddiction.com

I loved your response to my last recipe testing post and you asked for more behind-the-scenes like this, so let’s do it!

Today I’m sharing a couple new recipes that I’ve been testing this month. What’s been working for me is dedicating one week (or a little over one week, it’s a lot of work!) to recipe testing and kitchen work. It’s a very intense and exhausting week, but it allows me to spend the rest of the month on photography, writing, and other random work. And gives me more time with Noelle, the main reason I’m beginning to do things this way! 🙂

The recipe test week from earlier this month spilled into the weekend. I simply could not get babka to cooperate all week, so I spent the following Sunday working on it again. I didn’t want to give up because my goal this year is to bake new and exciting recipes. And babka has been on my baking bucket list. And it’s babka. And it’s awesome.

Babka recipe testing on sallysbakingaddiction.com

Have you ever had babka? I’ll tell you all about it when I share the (successful!) recipe on Monday. In a nutshell, it’s a rich brioche dough filled and twisted up. Lots of delicious layers. My main babka problems were filling and shaping it. First, I used way too much filling (I went with Nutella!) and it was oozing out everywhere. Could hardly twist it up. What a mess. When I finally got the right amount of filling on there, I used way too much dough. It overflowed into an epic disaster. I wish I took a picture for you to see it. As it baked, it kept growing and growing… and growing. From what I could salvage and taste, the dough wasn’t rich, flaky, and soft as I wanted. In the next batch, I removed an egg white and reduced the flour. Long story short, I ended up with 7 loaves. My kitchen has never smelled better. Most of what you see above is in my freezer. On the menu when we have visitors: babka.

Anyway, twisting babka can be a little tricky so Kevin helped me take a video of me shaping it for you to see. I’ll share it all on Monday, so check back!

Another recipe my assistant and I worked on is the February’s baking challenge. I spent some time looking at your recipe requests for challenge recipes and I’ll share some of them as regular (non challenge!) recipes throughout the year. I already tackled madeleines, a popular request. I was originally going to do some sort of chocolate tart to teach you all about making traditional ganache, but ended up with something else that’s just as chocolate-y. I photographed the February challenge recipe this past week. Excited for it!

Chocolate cake pops on sallysbakingaddiction.com

You’ll hear more about the recipe on February 1st!

TWO QUESTIONS…

1. Tiramisu was a popular request and I’d love to work on that in February. Do you have any preferences on it? A traditional tiramisu? A variation?
  2. Thoughts on bread pudding? Do you like it?

And one more thing… I did a podcast with Food Blogger Pro a couple years ago and the episode was featured as a rewind episode this past week. In case you want to give it a listen– it’s all about working hard to create success!

PS: Are engagement anniversaries a thing? Because today’s date will always be special for me. It was 5 years ago!!

Posted in

Comments

1. Karen on January 27, 2018 at 4:55 pm

Babka! Maybe with some filling alternatives. CINNAMON and CHOCOLATE are always great. I am not a nutella fan.

2. Kelsey Anderson on January 27, 2018 at 7:03 pm

Tiramisu please! Would it be cruel if I asked to learn to make lady fingers from scratch, too?

• Sally on January 28, 2018 at 9:37 pm

I’m not sure I could ever replicate lady fingers! I bet homemade is so so so good in tiramisu.

3. Jenny from jennyisbaking.com on January 28, 2018 at 9:57 am

Sally, thank you so much for sharing the podcast, I just listened to it and feel inspired.
    Regarding your questions: I would like a tiramisu with a twist. I am not a huge fan of bread pudding. And we don’t celebrate our engangement, but since in Germany getting married by the state was on a different day than our church wedding, we celebrate our wedding anniversary twice per year 😉 Congrats on your anniversary!

4. Ingrid on January 28, 2018 at 11:08 am

Tiramisu is delicious, and I’m such a sucker for bread pudding! Looking forward to February!

5. Kathy on January 28, 2018 at 2:32 pm

Bread Pudding fan here! When my dad was growing up during the depression, my Italian grandmother would make bread pudding to use up the odds and ends she’ d baked through the week, nothing was store bought. We still make Grandma’s recipe for my dad and it’s one of his favorite things n the world. Comfort food!

6. Diane C Kreschollek on January 29, 2018 at 4:52 pm

Just what I requested….thank you, Sally! I can’t wait to try this.

7. Terri Lewis on January 29, 2018 at 9:13 pm

Saw your pic of the cake pop. I managed to snag one of your cake pops last week, and it was DELICIOUS! I hope that recipe is coming soon!

8. Alison on January 30, 2018 at 1:24 pm

Happy Engagement-iversary! I think we should totally make these a thing! The date of our engagement is also one of my favorite days, especially since it also happens to be my grandfather’s birthday!

Tiramisu is ALWAYS a good idea, and I think it would be fun to play around with traditional and different variations (the idea of an orange or citrus inspired tiramisu sounds perfectly scrumptious right now!)! And I’m a big fan of bread pudding, especially unexpected flavor combinations, so I’m excited to see what you might come up with!

9. Malerie D on January 30, 2018 at 1:31 pm

I think the secret to tiramisu is that creamy marscapone cheese. And lots of espresso!

As for bread pudding, i hope you find a way for it to look pretty!

2018 sounds exciting!!!

10. Haley Wilson on January 31, 2018 at 6:26 pm

Love bread pudding! Also, would love to see you do eclairs or cream puffs!

11. Elisabeth on February 2, 2018 at 1:18 am

Hi Sally!
    I have only had 1 bread pudding I liked and I can’t remember the details, but it was so yummy. I think it was different because it was really simple. Maybe a yummy dough with some raisins and a creamy sauce.
    I look forward to what you come up with! 🙂

12. Tabitha on February 2, 2018 at 7:22 pm

Babka is on my list to tackle when my new oven arrives!
    I grew up eating bread pudding, my mum is English… but I don’t know a lot of people here in the US who does. A pastry chef I had the pleasure of working with once made a bread pudding with whisky caramel sauce which was divine.

13. Jane on February 14, 2018 at 11:47 am

please, please tiramisu, and would love more recipes without chocolate, like a lovely flan.
    just signed up for recipes and love the presentation and discussion. Keep up the good work. Excited to try chocolate lava cakes, already have the ramekins..

14. Jodie on February 24, 2018 at 9:52 pm

I love traditional tiramisu but I always have kids eating my baked goods so I don’t make anything with alcohol in it. I’m not a big fan of bread pudding, I’d rather have pie or a cupcake. I’m getting ready to make your babka, but gonna watch your video again to get the braiding part down. Thank you for teaching me how to be a better baker.

Reviews