Latest Recipe Testing

Happy St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrating with Guinness brownies? 🙂

Today let’s take another behind-the-scenes look at my latest kitchen adventures. As it turns out, I haven’t been in the kitchen much since my last recipe testing post. Computer work and photo editing were both piling up and Kevin was out of town for awhile, leaving me in charge of miss Noelle, the pups, and the house. We also began dabbling in recipe videos again and had family visit a few weekends in a row. It’s been a lot of fun, but I’ve been barely scraping by with day-to-day work!

We settled back into our routine a few days ago and I revisited a couple recipes that I began testing in February. I’ve been very frustrated coming up with a whole wheat dinner roll recipe. Maybe my expectations are a little too high, but I want whole wheat rolls that:

• are soft
  • are hearty
  • actually taste good!
  • are 100% whole wheat
  • don’t require any strange ingredients

It’s a tall order and took me 3 or 4 tries to land on a whole wheat roll I’m not only happy with, but EXCITED about! The repeating issue was a dense texture, which is typical when working with whole wheat flour. Whole wheat flour simply lacks the same level of gluten as refined flours, which is a big problem when you’re baking bread. Most whole wheat bread recipes call for adding vital wheat gluten, but I don’t keep that around. And I figure you don’t either. My work was cut out for me!

I started out with my honey butter rolls recipe, ended up adding more moisture to fully hydrate the whole wheat flour, and love how the rolls turned out. I’m posting the final whole wheat roll recipe this week just in time for Easter brunch or supper!

The ball of dough up way up there? That’s a chocolate chip cookie recipe I’m working on. I’m taking my typical slice & bake cookie dough and incorporating dark chocolate chunks, brown sugar, sea salt, and salty pistachios. Come back soon for that! Other slice & bake cookie recipes:

I’m also working on the April Baking Challenge recipe. It’s been on my baking bucket list for years and I’m thrilled to finally cross it off my list. Many of you have requested it too. Warning: it will be the most challenging (and rewarding!) one yet.

ONE QUESTION

1. Angel food cake. Love it or leave it? (Here’s a fun angel food cake I posted a couple years ago!)

Comments

1. Carol C on March 18, 2018 at 6:44 pm

Love angel food cake! I remember my mother making them from scratch, though I’ve never done so. I believe I may have her tube pan that she used for baking her cakes!

• Sally on March 19, 2018 at 9:35 am

How special to use her tube pan for your own angel food cake! I’ll post a new recipe for angel food cake soon.

• Jan minnis on March 20, 2018 at 2:35 pm

Sounds great. Can’t wait. Love your recipes!

2. deb cassens on March 18, 2018 at 8:33 pm

Angel food cake is a favorite but is something I rarely make. I am looking forward to seeing your recipe for whole wheat rolls! I am always trying to make whole wheat bread but it comes out way too dense. I understand that because the bran is included in whole wheat flour it has sharp edges that essentially cuts the strands of the gluten as they try to develop. I love reading your blog! Thanks!

3. Anneli J on March 18, 2018 at 11:43 pm

I can’t wait to try the rolls, they look delicious!!
    I love angel food cake in the summertime with fresh, local berries. I have never made it from scratch though, would love to try it!

• Sally on March 19, 2018 at 9:33 am

Angel food cake from scratch is the BEST way to eat it 🙂

4. Jill on March 19, 2018 at 12:05 pm

Not a fan of angel food.  Quite the opposite.  I prefer pound cake or shortcake with my summer berries.

5. Helen Wharton on March 19, 2018 at 12:41 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE angel food cake. Would love to make a really light-as-air, melt in the mouth buttercream to go with it, as all my buttercreams tend to turn out heavy and dense.

Your whole meal rolls look great. You’ve done a great job.

You’re also doing magnificently, juggling this blog, developing recipes, caring for Noelle and the pups, and just living your life. You’re a better woman than me, Sally. When my 10 year old daughter was Noelle’s age, I considered it a hugely successful day if I managed to get showered and dressed, on top of looking after my baby. I didn’t have many successful days!

These early baby days are the toughest, magical though they are. Things get easier. Just don’t be too tough and hard on yourself. Nobody is judging you. You have a new born, and that is more than a full time job in itself. Make sure you and Noelle are happy, and everything else will all sort of slot into place (kind of!).

6. Nike Daugherty on March 19, 2018 at 1:02 pm

Love angel food cake! I remember making them with my mom when I was little. A friend and I were actually just pondering whether we could make angel food cake into cupcakes the other day!

7. Christy on March 19, 2018 at 2:26 pm

I have a chocolate angel food cake recipe that has been passed down in my family for 5 generations that I don’t make very often because it is a lot of work, but is very yummy. I never know what to do with the yolks, so I almost always make the sunshine cake recipe that is written on the same page of my book at the same time as the angel food cake, because it only takes yolks. There is a note, hand-written by my grandmother, asking me to remember that these cakes were made back before electric mixers existed and that everything was beaten by hand. The grandmothers in my family must have had really toned arms!

• Sally on March 20, 2018 at 1:03 pm

Yes that’s quite the arm workout!!

8. Kristen on March 20, 2018 at 1:17 pm

Angel food cake is my dad’s birthday cake each year.

I tried your recipe before and had a lot of problems, actually. I was going to try bravetart (Stella Park)’s recipe since it seems so much simpler.

9. Nicole on March 20, 2018 at 3:14 pm

I adore angel food cake! We served it at my baby’s baptism, I love it dipped in chocolate fondue, and choose it time and again if it’s ever offered.

10. Willa on March 23, 2018 at 4:23 am

Love angel food cake, never made it from scratch though. Like Carol C. I have my mother’s  tube pan… I only make her applesauce cake in it….time to change things up …can’t wait for your new recipe

Reviews