Introducing: Sprinkled

So many emotions as I share my first ever video mini series!

(The emotions are 5% because of this and 95% because I just spent my first 2 nights away from Noelle and she sort of said “ma ma” before I left and I’m a total basket case and I’m counting down the minutes until I see my baby girl tonight!!!!!!)

What began as a casual way to share recipes with my friends has blossomed into a life-changing career where I get to connect with equally passionate bakers around the world. When I first hit publish in 2011, I had ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what I was doing, I just knew that I LOVED doing it. And after 7 years, 3 cookbooks, mistakes, growth, and about 3 billion dishwasher cycles, I’m elated to say that my dedication, work ethic, and love for baking hasn’t faded. At all.

But it’s time for something more. This past April, a video production crew filmed me at work in my kitchen. Most of the time together was spent filming 8 step-by-step recipe tutorials, but they also filmed me working, writing, editing, photographing, and recipe testing. The inspiration behind all of this:

• craving a deeper connection – I want to give you the front row seat so you can see what goes into each recipe and blog post, as well as life as a mother and business owner.
  • inspire – seeing my recipes come together in a video may inspire you to try it yourself!
  • trying something new – because entertainment is fun!

My video mini series is called Sprinkled. ♥

SPRINKLED

I have 8 “episodes” for Sprinkled coming this year. I carefully selected 8 of my favorite dessert recipes ranging from cookies and cake to brownies and pie. (I’m teaching you how to lattice!) Each recipe already lives on my blog, but these videos dive a little deeper with visual guidance and additional tips. Hopefully the next batch of episodes will be for NEW recipes. I just didn’t have time to prepare all of that before it was time for production week!!!

The episodes will be featured right here on my blog in partnership with my talented production & multimedia crew, Grateful & Co.

EPISODE 1

The kick-off episode is Homemade Strawberry Cake. I chose this recipe because it’s 100% from-scratch strawberry cake made from real strawberries and has become a reader favorite since I published it in January. The process is a little unique where you begin with reduced strawberry puree and finish with strawberry frosting made from freeze-dried strawberries. It’s a FUN cake and I thought you’d love seeing it come together on camera!

WHAT’S TO COME

Some behind the scenes!

Jude casually taking a snooze in the middle of everything. Both above and below.

And a sneak peek video at all the episodes!

COMING SOON: EPISODE 2

Chewy fudgy homemade brownies!!!! Check back in a couple weeks for it. 🙂

I sincerely hope you enjoy this fun new video series and that you leave inspired… and hungry. Want to stay updated? Subscribe to my blog and each new blog post will be emailed to you on the day it’s published, including when a new Sprinkled episode is live! Sprinkled photos and videos by Grateful & Co 🙂

Comments

1. Laurel on June 7, 2018 at 7:37 pm

When I clicked on jump to recipe, it doesn’t do anything. I don’t see the recipe anywhere in the post with the video. Has anyone else mentioned this? Thanks.

• Sally on June 7, 2018 at 8:07 pm

Hi Laurel! It’s just a video for my Homemade Strawberry Cake – recipe linked right above the video. 🙂

2. Melanie on June 7, 2018 at 7:39 pm

I love this!!! Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the rest of the videos. I love your recipes. 🙂 Very tempted to try this recipe now!

3. Luis on June 7, 2018 at 7:45 pm

Strawberry cake is my favorite cake! I can’t wait to make this!!!

4. Umma on June 7, 2018 at 7:49 pm

Sally, I am so happy and proud to see how far you’ve come! You go, lady! I love your recipes and wish you much continued success with your blog! Enjoy those baby snuggles tonight.

• Sally on June 7, 2018 at 8:08 pm

Thank you so so so much Umma!

5. Jennifer C on June 7, 2018 at 9:18 pm

Finally got a chance to watch these – love it. (And I love love love your house too, btw.) It’s great to see you in action, as it were….I’ve learned so much from you – you are such an inspiration! Looking forward to more videos.

6. Debbie on June 7, 2018 at 10:52 pm

This is so amazing Sally! Can’t wait to see the remaining videos. We are very excited for you.

• Sally on June 8, 2018 at 10:20 am

Thank you so much for everything, Debbie!

7. Vanessa on June 8, 2018 at 2:04 am

So cool!!! Can’t wait to see the next “Sprinkled”-Video!!!

• Sally on June 8, 2018 at 10:20 am

Thank you for the excitement!!

8. Kelly on June 8, 2018 at 5:55 pm

My daughter (same birthday as you!) & I have followed your blog from the beginning. Even my boys will ask, “Is this Sally’s recipe?” Then they reply, “you know it’s gonna be good.” You’re on a 1st name basis in our home. Congratulations!!

• Sally on June 11, 2018 at 6:16 am

Makes me so happy to read! Thank you!

9. Jess on June 8, 2018 at 6:17 pm

Oh Sally you are just the cutest! I always find it so strange hearing you speak. I started reading your blog wayyy back before videos or instagram stories so although I knew where you were from, I always read your words in my British accent – the rough Northern kind, not the stereotypically posh London kind! It’s so strange to hear your words in your actual accent! Anyway, congratulations on your latest venture. Sending hugs from across the pond 🙂

10. Kimie on June 9, 2018 at 1:06 am

Love love LOVE this, Sally! You are just so wonderful and I appreciate you what you do for all of us =)

11. Chris on June 10, 2018 at 8:05 pm

Hi Sally Thank you for all the wonderful recipes but even more for all tips and tricks you share. I got my love for baking from my grandmother who made everything from scratch. When you walked into her house – no matter when – you could smell the love. She taught me so much but you’ve added the reason why certain things should and shouldn’t be used, how to use and do things and more. I’ve learned so much that has helped my baking and my family loves it. Baking is fun – not scary – and you make sure everyone knows this. I love your new sprinkled videos!!

• Sally on June 11, 2018 at 6:18 am

Thank you so much for the comment, Chris! I 100% agree with your sentiments about baking. Fun, not scary, nostalgic. So special to carry on your grandmother’s legacy.

12. Trish on June 10, 2018 at 11:35 pm

Love this video! I loved the part where you were talking about the strawberry cake and said, “and it’s pink!” It made me laugh. I am also a fan of this cake. Searched forever for a strawberry cake made with natural ingredients that was also delicious. This one is it!
    Continued success to you, Sally! Looking forward to the next in the Sprinkled series.

• Sally on June 11, 2018 at 5:41 am

Thank you so much for the excitement and love for the strawberry cake. Truly one of my favorites too!

13. Anne on June 11, 2018 at 4:40 pm

Oh Sally, this Video is so awesome!!! Can’t wait for the next ones.
    Go ahead, i love this so much!

Anne

14. sarah on June 11, 2018 at 5:26 pm

Sally I have been reading for a while and I have never commented before but I felt he need to say congratulations!! You are really amazing at what you do and I can feel your passion comig accross your writing and now your videos. I wish you and your beautiful family the best

15. Lisa K on June 12, 2018 at 2:20 pm

Congratulations Sally!! That is really wonderful news and you should be so proud. I love your site and enjoy your recipes. Blessings to you and your family!!!

16. Megan on June 12, 2018 at 6:05 pm

My favorite comment in the video was: “You can taste the love.” That’s how I hope people I bake for feel. My son asks what’s in almost every recipe and when I get done listing the tangible ingredients, I always say, “and?” and he knows the answer is “love.” Sally, thank you for the awesome recipes, and now, the videos! You rock!

• Sally on June 13, 2018 at 12:30 pm

That is the sweetest thing ever!

17. Linda on June 14, 2018 at 12:11 am

This was great!!! I can’t wait to see the brownie recipe!

18. Demeter on June 15, 2018 at 10:09 am

I leave for vacation for a second and I miss ALL THE GOOD STUFF!! Hehe. Sally, I’m seriously loving this Sprinkled series! Just caught the Chewy Fudgy Brownies episode over on YouTube. I’m so proud of how far you’ve come and I always love seeing what you come up with next. 🙂 You’re such an inspiration in the kitchen, at work and with life! Finding that work life balance is so incredibly tricky… and as a fellow blogger, I’m so relieved to hear you say that you went from 3 recipes to 2 recipes a week. I’ve been doing 2 since the beginning and it’s still a struggle to keep up. You keep me motivated to do my best. Sending you lots of love and excitement for the next episodes in the series! <3, Demeter

• Sally on June 15, 2018 at 10:45 am

Demeter, you are so kind. Thank you for watching Sprinkled! This message means the world to me. Thank you for all the love, support, and encouragement to keep going! There’s nothing quite like bloggers supporting bloggers. All my love to you!

19. Ashley on June 20, 2018 at 12:48 am

This is just the cutest!!!! I love how easy and delicious all your recipes are. Definitely wouldn’t be a baker without you! ❤️

20. Laura on June 23, 2018 at 11:58 pm

Wow! What a great, informative video. This is truly wonderful. Thank you so much! You are so good at this.

21. Heather on July 7, 2018 at 4:54 pm

Hi sally.
    I like your series sprinkled . I watched your episode 2 about the fudge brownies
    And I thought it was great.I pinned the fishy brownies recipe you showed in the video into my Pinterest cooking board
    I know my husband will like them as well.
    Congratulations on your sprinkled series.
    I hope you will have many more recipe episodes.

• Sally on July 9, 2018 at 12:44 pm

Thank you, Heather! I’ve been having so much fun with these! 🙂

22. Joyce on August 9, 2018 at 1:52 pm

Sally, I sincerely thank your expertise in how to get the strawberry essence to shine through. I had been experimenting for years without success on this till I accidentally found your page. I added the strawberry reduction to my Trader Joe vanilla cake mix batter. Voila! Now, instead of frosting, I ground up freeze dried strawberries with cocoa powder and sugar and dusted the tops before baking. I imagine one can use blueberries in reduction too. I am singing your praises to my friends.

Reviews

Questions

1. Heather J on June 6, 2018 at 9:58 am

Hi Sally! So excited for Sprinkled 🙂 Your blog is my go-to resource for delicious recipes and baking tips. I have a question about measuring flour. I’ve used the “spoon and level” method before. However, my preferred method is to use my kitchen scale to measure out the specified weight in your recipe (e.g., 150 g). Is this method of measuring flour also okay to use? Thank you!

• Sally on June 6, 2018 at 7:31 pm

Hi Heather! Thank you! I always suggest the spoon & level method because I know most home bakers don’t own a kitchen scale. I use my kitchen scale all the time when I’m testing recipes and if you have one, I definitely recommend using it.

2. Lauren Ziegler on June 6, 2018 at 10:24 am

Hi Sally! I’m so excited about your video mini series! Where are those pretty pastel measuring cups from? Thanks!

3. Karen Schmitt on June 6, 2018 at 12:58 pm

Great video Sally, thanks so much! I noticed you used the whisk beater do you always us that instead of the paddle when making cakes? I’m going to make this cake this afternoon, can’t wait!!

• Sally on June 6, 2018 at 1:33 pm

I use either the paddle or whisk. Sometimes I find the whisk creates a much smoother batter. 🙂 But either attachments are fine!

4. Chris Richardson on June 6, 2018 at 1:50 pm

Love your site and the recipes. I recently had a computer crash and lost all my data and favorites. Where do you purchase your sprinkles and other add-ins for baking? I am looking for a site that has fresh tasting sprinkles that does not require you to buy pounds pf a single item. thanks and congratulations.

Chris R.

• Sally on June 6, 2018 at 7:30 pm

Hi Chris! I order most of my sprinkles online from either Amazon or Sweetapolita. I recently began using these natural colored sprinkles in some of my baked goods. They’re fun!

5. Titi on June 6, 2018 at 4:35 pm

Hi Sally can I use Greek yogurt in place of sour cream as we do not have it in my country.

6. Cecilia on June 6, 2018 at 6:42 pm

Love this new project you’re starting!! Thank you for showing us your love for baking❤️ You’re truly inspiring! Can’t wait to try this strawberry cake, I was just wondering.. I saw two diferent cakes in this video, one was the three tiered vanilla cake with strawberry frosting and the two tiered strawberry cake with strawberry frosting… and these the same recipe?? Thank you

7. Karen T on June 7, 2018 at 6:40 am

I have a full sized food processor, but what kind of mini one did you use to puree your fresh strawberries and your dried strawberries so quickly. It’s adorable…sorry, but it is! Loved the video and love your blog.

8. Louise on June 7, 2018 at 8:33 am

I love your strawberry cake video and can’t wait to make it. I am interested in buying the small blender you used for the strawberries. I saw the name Ninja on it, but wonder which model it is. Thanks.

9. Tammy Spencer on June 7, 2018 at 8:43 am

Very nice intro to your new series! I lIke the BTS talk as well as the recipe presentation. Question…I appreciate that you include weight measurements in your recipes as weighing ingredients is so much more accurate. Do you use a kitchen scale when not on camera or do you use volume measurements?

• Sally on June 7, 2018 at 11:43 am

Thanks Tammy! I use my kitchen scale all the time when I’m testing new recipes and if you have one, I definitely recommend using it. I don’t always break it out when I’m baking a trusted recipe, like you see in the strawberry cake video.

10. LisainTO on June 7, 2018 at 8:59 am

Hi Sally!
    I absolutely loved this episode and can’t wait to see the ones to come. Congratulations to you! Where you started and how far you’ve come is truly inspirational. I, too, turn to your online family for help when needed. We have a wonderful group of very supportive people. It’s unlike any other online community. ❤️
    I have a question … Is there a reason for using the whisk attachment on your stand mixer when making cake batter? Typically, I always turn to the standard paddle attachment. Did you use the whisk to create the desired lighter batter? When do you use the whisk attachment vs. the paddle?
    I guess that’s more than one question. ☺️
    Thanks,
    Lisa

• Sally on June 7, 2018 at 11:40 am

I completely agree. I’m so so so grateful for this community we’ve built together!
      I use either the whisk or paddle attachment when mixing cake batter. I find that the whisk attachment helps rid the smallest of lumps, so I often reach for it instead. You can use either though.

• LisainTO on June 7, 2018 at 5:49 pm

Thank you for sharing little hints just like this! ❤️❤️❤️

11. Laurel on June 7, 2018 at 7:37 pm