Sprinkled Episode 4: Chocolate Chip Cookies

The best soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies recipe on sallysbakingaddiction.com

Happy National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day!!!!

Today, August 4th, is National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day and that’s not a holiday I take lightly. You probably don’t need any convincing to bake a batch of chocolate chip cookies, but maybe I can convince you which chocolate chip cookie recipe to bake.

To celebrate, we centered Sprinkled episode 4 around the cookie of honor!

Earlier this year, a video production crew filmed me at work in my kitchen. Most of the time was spent filming step-by-step recipe tutorials, but they also filmed me working, writing, editing, photographing, and recipe testing. The series is called Sprinkled. 🙂 I selected my favorite recipes ranging from cookies and cake to brownies and pie. In honor of this delicious holiday, the 4th episode is Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cookies and you can watch it below.

EPISODE 4

Episode 4 recipe: Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cookies

The most loved cookie recipe on my website! The number of comments on the recipe speaks volumes to its popularity. Big, bold, dense, and chewy, these are my go-to chocolate chip cookies. I love the recipe so much that I published it in my cookbook Sally’s Cookie Addiction. I chose this recipe as episode 4 not only because it’s a reader favorite, but because there are a few unique aspects to the recipe. In this episode, I explain why an extra egg yolk is used, why chilling the cookie dough is crucial, why I prefer more brown sugar over white, why I use melted butter, and how I shape the cookies, and more. Each of these characteristics work together to make the softest, densest, chewiest chocolate chip cookies you’ll ever taste. Promise.

Let me know what you think of episode 4!

COMING NEXT: EPISODE 5

Pumpkin oatmeal chocolate chip cookies! Check back in September for episode 5.

Sprinkled episodes will be featured every month right here on my blog in partnership with my talented production & multimedia crew, Grateful & Co. Want to stay updated? Subscribe to my blog and each new blog post will be emailed to you on the day it’s published, including when a new Sprinkled episode is live! Sprinkled photos and videos by Grateful & Co 🙂

Comments

1. Jenny on August 4, 2018 at 3:51 am

Yay, the recipe I will always be grateful for made it on Sprinkles! I am a huge chocolate chip cookie fan, so happy!

Sally, I love your apron and the fact that it has your name on it, where did you get it made?

2. Vicki Skonieczny on August 4, 2018 at 8:13 am

I think you are adorable, I think your love of baking is infectious and I think that “Sprinkled” is now one of the most fun and inspiring aspects of your blog. Cannot wait for Episode 5! And I’m still making the hubs watch every new episode with me.

• Sally on August 6, 2018 at 3:21 pm

Hi Vicki! Thank you so much for your kind feedback – I love that your hubby watches, too 🙂 Thanks for your loyalty!!

3. Kristine Volmar on August 4, 2018 at 9:25 am

WOW! I loved this epsiode! Visually, it was so amazing. Am I the only one with major pantry envy over here? LOL It looks like the baking aisle of a grocery store, but better! Love it! Sorry for all the exclamation marks = ) These videos really get me inspired and excited to start baking. Thanks, Sally! Keep the amazing and delicious content coming.

• Evelyn B on August 5, 2018 at 12:06 am

I was ogling her pantry too!

• Sally on August 6, 2018 at 3:21 pm

So sweet, Kristine! Thank you so much for watching 🙂

4. Cyndi Mac on August 4, 2018 at 10:54 am

You are just a doll Sally! Thank you for this darling video and recipe.

• Sally on August 6, 2018 at 3:22 pm

Thank you so much for watching, Cyndi!

5. Amy on August 4, 2018 at 10:56 am

Your video is wonderful! I would be baking today…but Europe is in the middle of a heat wave and I have no AC. I just cannot turn on my oven in a 33 degree kitchen (91 degrees Fahrenheit)

• Sally on August 6, 2018 at 3:22 pm

Oh my goodness – what a heatwave! Thanks for watching, Amy 🙂

6. Deb on August 4, 2018 at 11:17 am

Great video! Love your energy and how clear your instructions are. You make it look so easy to bake these cookies, and I like how the video goes from baking instructions, to tips, to explanations, and back to the instructions. Keep making these videos!

• Sally on August 6, 2018 at 3:23 pm

Thank you so much, Deb – I’m thrilled that you are loving these videos!

7. Dawn on August 4, 2018 at 1:32 pm

Another amazing video! I am enjoying these so much 🙂 Does it matter if the cookie dough balls are shaped before or after chilling as long as they are chilled?

• Sally on August 6, 2018 at 3:25 pm

Thanks Dawn! It doesn’t matter if you shape before or after chilling, just make sure they’re chilled!! 🙂

8. Mackenzie s. on August 4, 2018 at 1:44 pm

Hi Sally! I was wondering if you could recommend a brand of silicone baking mats? 🙂

• Sally on August 6, 2018 at 3:26 pm

I love the Silpat brand – I buy them on Amazon!

9. Chris Riordan on August 4, 2018 at 1:54 pm

I love watching your “Sprinkled” episodes, your tips are so helpful! I would have added the dry ingredients into the wet but will try it your way next time. I’ve never tried your chocolate chip cookie recipe, I have the “Original Toll House Cookie” recipe memorized since this is the only cookie my husband will eat! I recently started browning the butter first when making them, it really boosts the flavor. Next time I’m trying your recipe instead! My dogs like to lay by me when watching “Sprinkled” as well:)

• Sally on August 6, 2018 at 3:26 pm

So sweet, thank you for watching Chris!!

10. Fulgencia on August 4, 2018 at 3:42 pm

Love, love, love your Sprinked videos! Thank you for all your yummy easy to follow recipes. You make baking fun and addicting.

• Sally on August 6, 2018 at 3:27 pm

Thank you so much for watching!! 🙂

11. Pamela on August 4, 2018 at 3:53 pm

Sally, thank you for sprinkling all of us with your awesome baking addiction! Question: Why do you add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients?

• Sally on August 6, 2018 at 10:49 am

Hi Pamela! The wet ingredients are thin and liquid-y and it’s just easier to pour them into the dry 🙂

12. Allison on August 4, 2018 at 6:23 pm

Hey Sally, loved the new Sprinkles episode! I was so happy to see a peek of behind the scenes bakery supplies organization – that’s totally my jam. Glad to see I’m not the only one with an insane amount of chocolate chips in my pantry. Lol!

• Sally on August 6, 2018 at 3:28 pm

There’s never too many chocolate chips!! 😉 Thanks for watching!

13. Ana on August 4, 2018 at 9:19 pm

Love all the Sprinkled videos Sally! Can’t wait for the weather to cool down to start baking these chocolate chip cookies!

• Sally on August 6, 2018 at 3:29 pm

Thanks Ana!!

14. Evelyn B on August 5, 2018 at 12:11 am

I enjoyed this episode, and immediately clicked the recipe link to check it out. Then I pulled out my Cookie Addiction book, and found the “Soft & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies” recipe, and noticed that it says to use only 2 scant tablespoons of dough per cookie, and makes 24 to 30 cookies, while this episode and the blog version of the Chewy Chocolate Chunk cookies say to use 3 tablespoons of dough, and makes 16 large cookies. Both the 2 Tbsp and 3 Tbsp versions have the same cooking temp and time listed. Is either of these a misprint, or does changing the amount of dough per cookie truly not affect the baking time? Thanks.

• Sally on August 6, 2018 at 10:45 am

Hi Evelyn! The bake times are similar, yes. But no matter which cookie recipe you bake, I always suggest using the bake time suggested as a guide. The best way to tell when the cookies are done? Use your eyes! When the edges are lightly browned, they’re done. 🙂

15. Ann on August 5, 2018 at 6:26 am

The more chocolate in a chocolate chip cookie the better. I can’t wait to make these for my grandchildren.

• Sally on August 6, 2018 at 3:30 pm

I agree! Hope your grandchildren love them!

16. Karen T on August 5, 2018 at 7:45 am

Love the video, I have your cookbook, and have made many of your cookies with great results. Now I am inspired to make this cookie too. I was intrigued when I watched your video that you mixed the wet ingredients into the dry. I also noticed you didn’t have to use a mixer…that is great to know also. I can’t wait to try these and I always learn something from your recipe hints, or videos. Thank you so much. I love your pantry and yes, you have to be ready for baking anything you might get inspired to try.

• Sally on August 6, 2018 at 3:30 pm

Thanks so much for watching, Karen!! 🙂

17. Jhuls | The Not So Creative Cook on August 5, 2018 at 12:24 pm

Sally, I love chocolate chunks intead of chocolate chips in my cookies and these are just perfect for me! Thanks for sharing the tips and the recipe!!

• Sally on August 6, 2018 at 3:30 pm

Hope you love these!!

18. Alison Amaismeier on August 6, 2018 at 9:15 am

My kids love watching these videos with me! 🙂

• Sally on August 6, 2018 at 3:31 pm

So sweet!!! 🙂

19. Agos on August 6, 2018 at 6:12 pm

The video looks amazing, congratulations! Any particular reason you don’t use an ice cream/cookie scoop on this recipe? Also, you forgot the sprinkle of coarse salt before baking 😉

• Sally on August 7, 2018 at 9:23 am

Hi Agos! You can use a cookie scoop for these, but I usually just reach for my Tablespoon measuring spoon.

20. Paige Cassandra Flamm on August 6, 2018 at 7:02 pm

I can not wait to try this recipe this week! I have a chocolate chip recipe that I love, but this video may have converted me!

Paige

21. Rebecca B. on August 8, 2018 at 9:55 am

I can’t wait to make these! Using chunks is such a fun and easy way to be different! Also, like everyone else here, I’ve got a serious case of pantry-envy!

Have you ever thought about making jams or butters? I know its not technically baking, but I’d love to see homemade pumpkin or apple butter this fall! There’s a ton of recipes on Pinterest for both, but you’re the only one I trust with recipes now!

• Sally on August 8, 2018 at 11:06 am

Hey Rebecca! You have to try them. My favorite chocolate chip cookie! I would love to make some jams or apple butter this fall and I’m hoping I can get around to it. I will one day and when I do, I will definitely share recipes!

22. Abril on August 9, 2018 at 7:49 am

I loved this episode I’m a chocolate Chip cookie lover too, and I always wanted to try homemade American cookies because I always just buy it at the super market 🙁
    I’m going to try your recipe next week!
    Can’t wait for the next episode!! 😀

23. Mandy on August 9, 2018 at 11:06 am

Oh my goodness Sally! I’ve never made a chocolate chip cookie like this before! I had two before they even cooled off! Lol Thanks so much for this incredible recipe. I look forward to making other treats you’ve created!

• Sally on August 9, 2018 at 1:16 pm

YAY! So glad you tried them!

24. Lauren @ Lemon & Mocha on August 12, 2018 at 2:02 pm

I loved this episode of Sprinkled! Especially because chocolate chip cookies are my favorite 🙂 Great job, Sally!!

• Sally on August 13, 2018 at 9:48 am