Blueberry pie without the hassle of making a homemade pie crust!
- 3 cups (390g) blueberries, fresh or frozen (do not thaw)
- 1/3 cup (67g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) orange juice
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and sliced
Crust + Topping
- 1 and 1/2 cups (190g) white whole wheat flour (spoon & leveled), or mixture of whole wheat and all-purpose flours
- 1 cup (80g) old-fashioned rolled oats (or quick oats)
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 10 Tablespoons (150g) unsalted butter, melted
- Make the filling first: Combine the blueberries, sugar, and orange juice into a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil. Allow to boil for 1 minute, then whisk for 1 minute. Mix the cornstarch with 3-4 teaspoons of warm water, until it resembles milk (if you don’t mix with water, you will have white chunks in the filling). Add the watered down cornstarch to the blueberry mixture. Simmer on low heat for 3-4 minutes until the mixture has thickened. Remove from heat and allow to cool. I poured mine into a bowl and refrigerated it until I was ready to use it.
- Make the crust: Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line an 8×8 or 9×9 square baking pan with aluminum foil. Set aside. Combine the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt together in a large bowl. Toss with a large spoon. Add the melted butter and mix until the mixture is crumbly. You will have about 3 cups of crust mixture. Press 2/3 of the mixture (about 2 cups) into the prepared baking pan. Press so that the crust is tight and even. Place in the oven for 10 minutes, which will allow it to set.
- Remove crust from the oven after 10 minutes and spread the blueberry filling on top. Top with the peeled and sliced apple, as shown in the photo above. Top with the remaining oat crumble.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until the topping it lightly browned. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 30 minutes on a wire rack. Transfer to the refrigerator to chill for 3 hours before cutting into squares.
- Make Ahead & Freezing Instructions: Bars will stay fresh in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 5 days. You can freeze the bars for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
Keywords: blueberry bars, blueberry pie bars