Soft and cakey banana bread donuts topped with a decadent dark chocolate glaze.
Banana Bread Donuts
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tablespoons canola oil (or melted coconut oil)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana (1 medium banana)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons vanilla 0% Greek yogurt (or any vanilla or plain yogurt)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
Dark Chocolate Glaze
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- optional: chocolate sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Spray donut pan with nonstick spray. Whisk together the egg and sugar for about 4 minutes until light in color. Stir in the banana, oil, vanilla and yogurt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the salt, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and flour. Slowly pour dry mixture into wet mixture. Stir together until just combined (do not overmix).
- Using a piping bag or a ziplock bag with the corner cut off, pipe the batter carefully into prepared donut pan making sure each cavity is only 2/3 full. Bake for 10-12 minutes (donuts should be fluffy and should spring back when touched – mine took exactly 10 minutes). Allow to cool slightly before removing from pan, about 5 minutes.
- While the donuts are baking or cooling, melt the chocolate chips, corn syrup, amd butter together in a small bowl in the microwave (about 30 seconds). After the donuts have cooled for 5 minutes, dip the tops into the chocolate glaze and sprinkle with chocolate sprinkles. Allow to cool on a cooling rack.
- Larger Batch: Donuts are best served fresh the same day. This recipe only yields 8-9 donuts, so feel free to double or triple if making for a group.
- Recipe adapted from Top with Cinnamon.
Keywords: banana bread donuts, chocolate glazed banana donuts