Banana chocolate chip cupcakes topped with tangy strawberry cream cheese frosting. Light, moist, flavorful, irresistible!
- 1/2 cup (1 stick or 115 grams) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) packed light or dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 and 1/2 cups mashed banana (about 3 large very ripe bananas)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) buttermilk*
- 1 cup (180 grams) semi-sweet chocolate chips
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 ounces strawberry cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/4 cup (60 grams) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup (120 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 1/8 teaspoons salt, to taste
- optional: strawberry slices and additional chocolate chips to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line two 12-count muffin pans with 18 cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Make the cupcakes: Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar together in a large bowl on medium speed until creamed. About 2-3 minutes. With the mixer running on low speed, add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the mashed bananas and vanilla, beating on low speed for about 1 minute.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together in a medium bowl. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in 3 additions, stirring by hand after each addition. Add the milk and stir until combined. The batter will be lumpy. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter evenly into 18 cupcake liners. Fill the unused cups one-third full with water to prevent warping. Bake each batch for 17-19 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Make the frosting: In a medium bowl using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and butter together on medium speed for 1 minute. Switch the mixer to low speed and slowly add the confectioners’ sugar. Switch to medium speed and beat for 2 minutes until combined and creamy. Taste the frosting and add salt if too sweet. Frost the cupcakes with a knife and decorate with strawberries and chocolate chips, if desired.
- Cover and store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Make Ahead & Freezing Instructions: Prepare cupcakes 1 day in advance. Keep cupcakes covered tightly at room temperature and frost the day of serving. Unfrosted cupcakes can be frozen up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature before frosting and serving.
- Buttermilk: Buttermilk is required for this recipe. You can make your own DIY version of buttermilk if needed. Add 1 teaspoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to a liquid measuring cup. Then add enough whole milk to the same measuring cup until it reaches 1/2 cup. (In a pinch, lower fat or nondairy milks work for this soured milk, but the cupcakes won’t taste as moist or rich.) Stir it around and let sit for 5 minutes. The homemade “buttermilk” will be somewhat curdled and ready to use in the recipe.
- Be sure to check out my 10 tips for baking the BEST cupcakes before you begin!
Keywords: banana chocolate chip cupcakes