Super-moist and flavorful banana chocolate chip muffins stuffed and topped with cinnamon streusel.
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 and 1/2 cup mashed bananas, very ripe (about 3 large ripe bananas)
- 3 Tablespoons yogurt (I used vanilla greek yogurt)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- optional: 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C). Line muffin tin with baking cups or spray with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Make the streusel first: Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Make the muffins: In a medium bowl, gently toss together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. Using an electric stand or hand mixer, beat the sugar, butter, and egg in a large bowl until fluffy, scraping down the sides as needed. On low speed, beat in the mashed bananas and yogurt. By hand, stir in the dry ingredients mixing until everything is *just* combined. Do not overmix.
- Layer one scant Tablespoon of batter into the muffin cup. Sprinkle with streusel. Layer another spoonful on top and layer with more streusel. Continue to layer batter and streusel into each muffin tin.
- Bake muffins for 5 minutes at 425°F (218°C). Lower temperature dial down to 350°F (177°C) and continue to bake for about 14 more minutes until the muffins are set and lightly browned. Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the tins and transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Store muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. Muffins freeze well, up to 3 months.
- As a Cake: I adapted this recipe from my friend Amy’s banana coffee cake recipe. Try baking this batter in a 9×9 baking pan at 350°F (177°C) for 35 minutes OR until the cake is lightly golden brown and set in the center.
Keywords: banana chocolate chip muffins, banana chocolate chip streusel muffins