Healthy eating is anything but bland. This flavorful salad makes for a delicious light dinner or easy lunch!
- 4 cups finely chopped kale (ribs removed)
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (about 2/3 cup dry)
- 3 medium Sunkist Moro blood oranges, peeled and chopped*
- 1 avocado, peeled, cored and diced
- 5 oz blue cheese, crumbled
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts*
Blood Orange Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons fresh blood orange juice*
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine all of the salad ingredients into a large bowl. Sometimes I do this with my hands to really mash up that avocado and massage it into the kale leaves.
- For the dressing: Whisk all of the dressing ingredients together– or use a food processor. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat everything evenly. Sometimes I don’t use ALL the dressing– use however much you’d like. Store leftover dressing in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- Serve immediately. Leftovers keep well in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
- Blood Oranges: Moro blood oranges are available December through mid-April, so for any out-of-season months– use any oranges.
- Walnuts: I used store-bought candied walnuts, found them in the produce aisle. Chopped pecans, sunflower seeds, or sliced almonds would also be tasty here– or you can use candied pecans! Just as delicious.
Keywords: blood orange kale salad, avocado quinoa salad