This flavorful blood orange avocado quinoa & kale salad is loaded with flavor and full of nutritious ingredients. To round out the meal, feel free to mix in your favorite cooked beans or serve with grilled chicken or shrimp on top.
- 4 cups finely chopped kale (ribs removed)
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (about 2/3 cup dry)
- 3 medium blood oranges, peeled and chopped*
- 1 avocado, peeled, cored and diced
- 5 oz blue cheese, crumbled
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts*
Blood Orange Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons fresh blood orange juice*
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine all of the salad ingredients into a large bowl. Sometimes I do this with my hands to really mash up that avocado and massage it into the kale leaves.
- For the dressing: Whisk all of the dressing ingredients together– or use a food processor. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat everything evenly. Sometimes I don’t use ALL the dressing– use however much you’d like. Store leftover dressing in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- Serve immediately. Leftovers keep well in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
- Blood Oranges: We usually use Moro blood oranges, but any blood oranges work. They are generally available in most grocery stores December through mid-April. You could also use regular oranges in this salad and dressing, too.
- Walnuts: I usually use store-bought candied walnuts, but you can use regular walnuts, homemade candied nuts, pecans, or almonds. No matter which you use, chop them up before adding to the dish. You can also use sunflower seeds.
Keywords: blood orange kale salad, avocado quinoa salad