Follow these easy instructions and create a flaky, buttery cream cheese danish at home!
- 1 recipe Homemade Danish Pastry Dough (step-by-step photos included)
Cream Cheese Filling
- 8oz (224g) full-fat cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup (67g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (do not thaw)
- optional: 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup (60g) confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon (15ml) heavy cream or milk
- Make the pastry dough through step 7.
- Make the filling: in a medium bowl using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and egg yolk together on medium speed until smooth. Add the sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Continue with steps 8-10, including preheating the oven to 400°F (204°C), in the pastry dough recipe for how to assemble. *Don’t forget to add the blueberries on top of the filling (as pictured above) and sprinkle the uncooked braids with the sliced almonds before baking.
- As the braids are baking, prepare the vanilla glaze by whisking all of the ingredients together. After 10 minutes of cooling, drizzle the braids lightly with glaze and serve immediately.
- Braids taste best served on the same day, but you can cover any leftovers and refrigerate for up to 5 days. Dough may be prepared in advance. See “make ahead” instructions in the pastry dough recipe.
Keywords: blueberries n cream danish braid, blueberry danish braid