Made from 6 ingredient homemade pizza dough, these easy cheesy breadsticks are a completely irresistible side dish or snack. You can freeze half of the dough for another night. Only 15 minute bake time!
- 1 lb store-bought or homemade pizza dough*
- 2 Tablespoons (30g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend or dried basil
- 1 and 3/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese*
- optional: sprinkle of cornmeal for dusting the pan
- optional: marinara or pizza sauce for dipping
- Prepare pizza dough through step 3. Punch the risen dough down to release the air bubbles. Divide in half. (Make a pizza with the other half or freeze half of the dough for another time. See dough recipe for freezing instructions.)
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C).
- On a lightly floured work surface or on a piece of parchment paper or a silicone baking mat sprinkled with cornmeal (I skipped the optional cornmeal in the video above), roll the dough out into a 9×13 inch rectangle. The dough will want to be round, so do your best to shape it into a thin rectangle around this size– doesn’t have to be perfect.
- Combine the butter, garlic, and Italian seasoning together in a small bowl. Brush over shaped dough. Cover evenly with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. If desired, turn the oven to broil for the last minute to really brown the top.
- Slice into breadsticks and serve plain or with marinara sauce. Cover leftover breadsticks tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Reheat as you prefer. Baked breadsticks can be frozen up to 3 months.
- Make Ahead Instructions: If using my homemade pizza crust, you can make it ahead of time and freeze it. After the pizza dough rises and you punch it down, lightly coat all sides of the dough ball(s) with nonstick spray or olive oil. Place the dough ball(s) into individual zipped-top bag(s) and seal tightly, squeezing out all the air. Freeze for up to 3 months. To thaw, place the frozen pizza dough in the refrigerator for about 8 hours or overnight. When ready to make pizza, remove the dough from the refrigerator and allow to rest for 30 minutes on the counter before using.
- Special Tools: KitchenAid Stand Mixer, Dough Scraper, Baking Sheet, Pastry Brush, Pizza Cutter
- Pizza Dough: You can make these breadsticks with 1 pound of store-bought or homemade pizza dough. My homemade pizza dough yields about 2 lbs of dough, which is enough for 2 pizzas, 2 batches of breadsticks, or 1 pizza and 1 batch of breadsticks. Toppings listed are enough for 1 batch of breadsticks. If you only need 1 batch of breadsticks, freeze the other half of dough for another time. All freezing and thawing instructions are in my pizza dough recipe.
- Cheese: Any shredded cheese you love works. Mozzarella is fantastic with the butter, garlic, and herb topping.
- Reference my Baking with Yeast Guide for answers to common yeast FAQs.
Keywords: cheesy breadsticks, breadsticks