This chocolate coconut almond tart is super simple, made with 7 ingredients, and is naturally gluten free and vegan. Tastes unbelievably rich and decadent!
- 1 cup (140g) unsalted whole almonds
- 1 cup (90g) almond flour
- 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
Filling + Topping
- 3 four ounce bittersweet chocolate bars, coarsely chopped (12 ounces total)*
- 1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 13.5 ounce can full-fat coconut milk (shake up the can before using)*
- handful unsweetened coconut, almonds, pinch sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 300°F (149°C).
- For the crust: Using a food processor, almonds and almond flour together until almonds are coarsely chopped. And the maple syrup and melted coconut oil. Pulse until the mixture is combined and crumbly. See photo above.
- Using floured fingers or the bottom of a flat and lightly floured measuring cup, press the dough evenly into a 9-inch tart pan. You want it extremely tight in the pan. Set tart pan on a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden brown. (Pie weights are optional for pre-baking. I don’t use them with this crust, but you absolutely can!)
- Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack so it can slightly cool as you prepare the filling.
- For the filling: Place chopped chocolate into a medium bowl. Add maple syrup on top. Set aside. In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring coconut milk to a boil. Once boiling, pour over chopped chocolate/maple syrup. Stir until completely combined and smooth.
- Pour filling into crust. Top with shredded coconut, sliced almonds, and sea salt.
- Cover loosely and refrigerate for 3-4 hours or overnight and up to 2-3 days.
- Once completely set, slice and serve. Cover and store leftover tart in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Make Ahead Instructions: This is the perfect recipe to make ahead of time, especially when you are entertaining. You can prepare the entire dessert, cover tightly, and keep in the refrigerator for 3 days before serving.
- Special Tools: KitchenAid Food Processor | Glass Mixing Bowls | Pie Crust Weights | 9-inch Round Tart Pan
- Chocolate: I highly recommend bittersweet chocolate for this tart. You can, however, use semi-sweet for a sweeter chocolate flavor. You’ll need 3 4-ounce bars, 12 ounces total. I prefer Ghirardelli, Lindt, or Baker’s brand. All sold right next to the chocolate chips. Depending on the brand of chocolate bar you purchase, this dessert is vegan. If wanting to make vegan, check labels to ensure the chocolate has no dairy products. Otherwise, any pure bittersweet chocolate baking bar will do.
- Coconut Milk:Make sure you use a can of full-fat coconut milk, not the refrigerated coconut milk that is meant for drinking.