Soft & fluffy strawberry muffins with chocolate chips and a chocolate drizzle. A perfect way to treat yourself in the morning!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 Tablespoon (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 and 1/4 cups sour cream (I used light sour cream – regular or nonfat would work too)
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries (thawed frozen would work too)
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 Tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (218°C). Line 12-cup muffin tin with liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl until combined. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg until the yolk & white are combined and light-colored. Add the sugar and stir until the mixture is thick. Add the melted butter in 2 or 3 additions, whisking slowly to combine after each addition. Add the sour cream and whisk until JUST combined. Do not overmix.
- Add the strawberries and chocolate chips to the dry ingredients. Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients in 2 or 3 additions, carefully folding after each addition. Stir until the batter comes together, but try not to over mix. The batter will be very, very thick.
- Spoon the batter into prepared muffin tins. Fill the tins all the way to the top. Not 2/3 or halfway filled, ALL the way to the brim. Bake at 425°F (218°C) for 5 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F (177°C) and continue to bake for 20-22 more minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- While the muffins are cooling, prepare the chocolate drizzle by melting the chocolate chips and butter in a shallow bowl. Stir, then drizzle chocolate over cooled muffins.
- Makes 12-14 muffins. Muffins taste best served the same day. Muffins remain fresh up to 4 days, covered, at room temperature. Muffins may be frozen. Drizzle with chocolate right before serving
- Adapted from the Cooks Illustrated: The New Best Recipe cookbook.
Keywords: chocolate covered strawberry muffins, chocolate strawberry muffins