Fudgy chocolate cookies with pecans and caramel. Like your favorite turtle chocolate candies in cookie form! This cookie dough requires at least 2 hours to chill.
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons (51g) unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons (30ml) milk
- 3/4 cup (105g) chopped pecans
- homemade salted caramel
- Make the cookies: Toss the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Using a handheld or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on high speed until creamy, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and the bottom of the bowl as needed. Switch the mixer to medium speed and beat in the granulated sugar and brown sugar until combined. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Turn the mixer off and pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Turn the mixer on low and slowly beat until a very soft dough is formed. Beat in the milk on medium speed. The dough will be very sticky. Cover the dough tightly with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours. Chilling is mandatory.
- Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator and allow to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes so it is not rock hard. Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Scoop 1 Tablespoon of dough, form into a ball, and roll in the pecans. Repeat for each cookie. Place 10 balls onto each baking sheet.
- Bake each batch for 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Drizzle warm caramel over cookies and allow to set for at least 10 minutes.
- Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
- Make Ahead & Freezing Instructions: Cookies can be frozen for up to 2 months, with or without caramel. I find it’s best to drizzle with caramel right before serving, though. Unbaked cookie dough balls (before rolling in pecans) will freeze well for up to 3 months. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes, pre-heat the oven, then roll in chopped pecans. Bake as directed. Store any leftover caramel in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Use it on ice cream, these cookies, as a dipping sauce for fruit or graham crackers, and more. Warm the caramel up for a few seconds before using in a recipe.
- Be sure to check out my top 5 cookie baking tips AND these are my 10 must-have cookie baking tools.
Keywords: chocolate turtle cookies, turtle cookies