A hearty, healthy salad recipe with creamy avocado, nutty quinoa, chicken, fresh cilantro, and lots of bright citrus flavors. The perfect light dinner or easy lunch!
- 1 and 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic or roasted garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large oranges, peeled and segmented
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced or cubed
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro (packed)*
- 1 Tablespoon orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. Transfer cooked quinoa to a large bowl and let cool.
- Pour olive oil into a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and roasted garlic, stirring it all around to coat with oil. Sprinkle with smoked paprika and salt. Stir and cook until chicken is done, about 8 minutes. Add cooked chicken, oranges, and avocado to the quinoa. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Make the dressing: Whisk the dressing ingredients together. Pour over salad and toss to coat everything evenly. Serve immediately. Leftovers keep well in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
- Make Ahead Instructions: This is a perfect recipe to make ahead of time because the flavors taste even better by day 2. Simply prepare through step 3, cover tightly, and refrigerate overnight.
- Cilantro: If you don’t care for cilantro, leave it out or replace with chopped fresh basil or parsley.
Keywords: citrus chicken quinoa salad, chicken quinoa salad