Coffee Break

sally at workshop

Happy new week to you! Wanted to spend some time catching up this morning.

Lots happening: I just got back from Minnesota where I visited with friends and attended Pinch of Yum’s photography workshop. More on that over on my photography blog soon. Speaking of– I have a new post up today too!

pancakes at longfellow

5 days in MN was just what the doctor ordered. I met up with some friends after the workshop– we grabbed ice cream from Licks Unlimited in Excelsior and brunch at Longfellow Grill. That ice cream place was pretty much out of a storybook. It was teeeeeeeny tiny and the epitome of charm. 🙂 I got a flavor called “this just got serious” which was salted caramel with dark chocolate fudge ripple and salted candied cashews. It was dangerous, delicious, and completely RIDICULOUS.

For brunch, nothing but a big ol’ stack of buttermilk pancakes. ↑ ↑

The weather was a dream– I heard I just missed snow last weekend! We walked around town, ate outside, drank wine on the balcony, all was perfect. But the best part?? PUPPY. My friends just got a cockapoo named Cooper, and in the milliseconds he wasn’t running around and moving at the speed of light, I was able to capture a few snaps. After about 5 hours of darting around the apartment, he finally plopped down on the couch, rolled over, and passed out on his back. He’s only 12 weeks and 6 pounds. And, yes, I want about 10 of him. Puppy addiction.

cooper puppy

Currently loving Skinny Supers from my friend Brooke of the site Skinny Mom. I know I mentioned her cookbook to you recently, but I tried another recipe from it for dinner 2 weeks ago: Greek turkey meatballs. They were insanely good. Have you ever been to her site before? I love cooking her recipes for dinner because they’re all super straightforward, healthy, simple, approachable, etc.

Also currently loving pumpkin the raccoon. PLEASE is this not the cutest thing?

Also also currently loving allllll the fresh tulips. I’ve been traveling so much this month that I can’t justify having a gorgeous bouquet on my kitchen table, but aren’t these orange little numbers just peachy?? Lindsay had them at the workshop.

orange tulips

The book tour is just about over, but I have two last book signings! I’ll be in Stamford, CT next Tuesday and Salt Lake City on May 18th. Here’s the book tour page for more details on each. I had the best time of my life touring for this book, but oh my gosh! It was a lot on my plate for a good 6 months traveling, working ahead, and trying to stay afloat. It’s back to normal life, normal routine, back in the kitchen, getting inspired*, and lots of new baking and photography blog content from here on out.

*That’s sort of the reason I attended the workshop in the first place. I mentioned this on Instagram the other day– (and, by the way, thank you for all your support, encouragement, and comments!) lately I’ve just been feeling uninspired behind the camera. A little meh in my photography routine. Everything seems to look the same, photos don’t feel authentic or thought out, I rush through shoots, etc etc. Basically, I’ve just been feeling lost. Do you get in creative ruts too? I think it’s just because my mind has been elsewhere as we dive into 2016. New house, traveling, hiring an assistant. There’s been some big changes in only 4 months but today, I’m feeling undeniably refreshed. I think the time spent behind the camera at the workshop as well as the whole mini vacation is exactly what I needed. And puppy snuggles too, of course.

A creative recharge, if you will 🙂

green smoothie bowl

Besides all that, it’s business as usual around here. I’ve got a couple new recipes in the pipeline including a healthier zucchini bread recipe and cinco de mayo-ish cupcakes. Very excited about both. Zucchini bread coming tomorrow!

What’s new with you? And how was your weekend?

1. SO excited to see you are coming to Utah!! I’ll be there – probably with my two kids in tow

1. Can’t wait!

2. Hi Sally, I LOVE it when you do these posts. First of all, your photography is stunning as always. So pls feel positive about it. After all these years I am finally getting a Kitchen Aid mixer (I think it is the professional series). So excited about it. I’ll “break it in” with one of your recipes in it. 🙂 Sally that pup was cute. Lots of hugs, Iram

1. Laura ~ Raise Your Garden says:

Me too! I love your first profile shot in the eyelet shirt. Eyelet is always my favorite whether it’s trendy or not even though right now it’s super trendy. So pretty! I remember being told once that I was too feminine and even though I didn’t get offended….thought…what’s that?

2. SO exciting Iram! Let me know which recipe is your first in the mixer.

3. Vivian | stayaliveandcooking says:

Such pretty pictures! Perfect for me to start my Monday morning with. And aaawww that dog is so adorable! Puppy addiction, completely agreed.

Have a great week!

4. Emily @ Life on Food says:

Happy Monday! I think being with “like” people and learning new things is the best way to refocus and get inspired. Sounds like you are working on incorporating more of both. These pictures are great. I will be looking forward to your post about the workshop.

1. Thanks Emily! It’s always wonderful hanging out with other bloggers or photographers. So much inspiration and ideas out on the table.

5. Tori//Gringalicious says:

I so love your coffee breaks Sally! This one was especially awesome, ooooh, and I can’t wait to see that zucchini bread or hear more about the workshop!

6. I’m sorry you’ve been feeling in a rut, Sally…I think your photographs are as beautiful as ever, but I know sometimes no one can say anything to change your feelings. But we all believe in you! I love the tulip picture, by the way 🙂

1. Thank you thank you Caley!

7. Leah @ Grain Changer says:

First of all, I must comment that I am still in love with those booties! Might have to order a pair today 😉 Sounds like MN was a blast and just what you needed. So happy you got that trip in! PS – can we PLEASE clone Cooper? Cutest little guy ever!

1. The booties are my favorite! I hope they aren’t discontinued because I can’t find the blue color in my size anymore. 🙁

8. Sharon K (The Farm Chick Bakes) says:

Hi Sally, I too love seeing you IN pictures behind the camera and cooking! Seems many of your fans do as well! Let me just say that while you may feel like you’re in a rut, your photography has truly INSPIRED me! You got me to invest in a ‘real’ camera! I can only hope my photos will be as good as yours one day. I say “keep up the great work!”. We love it!

1. Thank you so much Sharon!

9. Catherine Smith says:

Your pictures are gorgeous! I still think they they should be framed all over your house! Your photos make me want to start a food blog, but I just can’t pull the trigger. I’d love to work in the kitchen and photograph my life!
    This weekend my husband and I took pictures in Ennis, TX in bluebonnet patches! I brought Julia Child’s cookbook and yours (both of them) to be in the pictures with me since they’re my favorite and why I cook/bake. I can email you a pic if you want to see.

1. I would LOVE to see! sallysbakingaddiction (at) gmail.com 🙂

10. So excited to read that Minnesota was all warm and fuzzy for you! Us Midwesterners know how to show folks a good time. We live close to Stillwater which is almost to the MN/WI border but Excelsior is one of my favorite places to hang out.

I am certain you are “desserted” out some days but I would love to have told you about Blue Egg Bakery in Elk River. They are small and charming but OMG the cakes they produce are top notch. My niece is a pastry chef there (currently on pregnancy bed rest). Best buttercream I have ever tasted…their gluten free cake is amazing according to another niece that is gluten free and an extraordinary baker.

LOVE your books!! LOVE your blog!! Hope to meet you if you ever come back to Minnesota for another book signing.

1. I had another reader suggest blue egg bakery to me! I didn’t get the chance to stop there, but it’s on my “must see/must taste” list for next time. Thanks June!

1. Make certain you post on your site when you come to Minnesota next time or contact me personally. I will make certain they roll out the red carpet for you:) and have a few amazing goodies ready.

Also put Nelson’s Ice Cream on your list in Minnesota – located in both Stillwater and St. Paul. Your friends should check it out if they have not. NUMMO!

11. Hey, Sally — After 25-plus years as a writer (non-fiction), I know those ruts well, and I feel for you! One trick that sometimes works for me is to go off my own creative reservation for a few days and explore a parallel one: i.e., I’ll set aside the book chapter I’m struggling to write, and listen to music — really listen, appreciating the shape of the melody or the rhythm of the lyrics — or I’ll map out the plot or characters of a thriller I’ll probably never write. Sometimes I go to a movie by myself, and watch it purely from a writer’s perspective, deconstructing what works and doesn’t. With photography, maybe you would be surprised if you spent a day just going out and shooting something you’d never normally shoot, forcing your eye and imagination to see and process differently. My theory is that we develop a sort of creative muscle memory, and now and then, what used to be exciting feels rote. Good luck!

1. This advice REALLY helps, Tamara. I like your trick of exploring a parallel entity whether that’s a movie, song, TV, book, photography subject, etc. I’m going to try it this week. Thank you so much; it’s genius.

12. Hi, Sally! Glad to hear you had a good weekend. The idea of a photography workshop intriqued me when you first mentioned it on instragram, but you’ll do a post on it? I’d love to hear about it! As for my weekend, it was great. I tried this new frozen yogurt that was also salted caramel, and put little cookie dough bits in it. Great minds think alike 🙂

1. I will, yes! I plan to write about the workshop on my photography blog in the coming week or so.

13. Hi, Sally! I’m sure I’m not the only one here, but you’re an inspiration to me. Not just your delicious recipes and photos, but the energy that radiates from your posts and your hard work inspire me to keep going too. Nevertheless, it’s never a bad thing to learn more. I’m happy to hear you enjoyed that workshop and had a creative recharge ^^ Also, love these posts. It feels like we’re talking like friends even though we’re strangers 🙂

1. Thanks My Linh 🙂

14. Andrea @Cooking with a Wallflower says:

Again, I’m so jealous that you got to go to Pinch of Yum’s workshop! I totally understand the feeling of being uninspired. Sometimes it feels like that for me with the writing too. I’m not sure what to write or how to be creative with fresh material. But I love all your posts, your enthusiasm, and your gorgeous photography. Hopefully the workshop has helped with providing inspiration!

1. It did, Andrea, thank you! And I’m always rooting for you and your writing so just remember to take a mental break when you feel lost.

15. Jamie | Hola Croqueta says:

Although I just started a food blog of my own a few short months ago, I understand creative ruts all too well. Being in the digital marketing field, I’ve had to write for food brands and sometimes you’re just like”now what do I write?!” So, I understand you. 100%. I find that the best solution is always to take a mental break away from the subject altogether, which is exactly what you did! Puppies, new scenery, a break in routine are all the perfect ingredients to get creative juices flowing again. Just know you’re doing an AWESOME job…and I’m glad to know that even the pros have their down days too. Makes me feel like I don’t have to be perfect all the time, which I suffer from greatly. If it’s any consolation though, you’re an inspiration to me, Sally! Keep kicking butt!

1. It’s nearly impossible to be on point and at peak creativity level at all times. I think we all need to be easier on ourselves. And breaks… yes to many mental breaks!

16. demeter | beaming baker says:

Sally, I just love these coffee breaks of yours–they feel so personal and… just nice. 🙂
    Your trip to Minnesota for the PoY workshop sounds like it went swimmingly. I saw your post on IG about feeling lost in your photography style… it made me tear up a bit. Hopefully the workshop was just what the doctor ordered (as well as the “this just got serious” ice cream that was OBVS made just for you!)
    I think we all feel a bit lost sometimes. But sometimes all you need is a rest and a push in a different direction to reveal what you really want next. There are times when I wonder if I’m doing the right thing, or if I’m improving as quickly as I should be… or disappointed that I haven’t reached a certain point at this age in life.
    But you know what? Age, success, knowing All the Things, or being constantly self-assured is not realistic or even good for you. Times of self-doubt can be rejuvenating and push you towards good growth. It forces you to ask questions you didn’t even know you needed the answers to. 🙂
    I’m glad to hear you’re feeling better Sally. Just know that I’m always in your corner. <3

1. Thanks for this, Demeter. Printing out some of your advice and setting on my desk. 🙂

1. demeter | beaming baker says:

Anytime, Sally. I’m always here for you. <3

17. That puppy is just too cute!!! Serious puppy addiction here. Honestly, don’t kick yourself about those creative ruts. Everyone gets them, especially people in fields where you have to keep on chugging out stuff. It starts to seem like you’re doing the same thing over and over. Don’t try to force yourself. Just wait it out and you’ll pull through it. I’ll always be supportive. 🙂

1. Thanks for the support Ruhma!

18. Julianne @ Beyond Frosting says:

We went to Minneapolis for a wedding a couple summers ago and it was SO much fun. I had no idea what a great town that is. Lots of great food, really cool buildings and fun things to do. I’m glad you got to take a break,it’s well deserved!

19. Sally–
    What’s funny is that I always find your photos crisp and creative and gorgeous and that they totally match the tone of your website. And as a former tv camera op, I have a critical eye! Maybe it would help your morale to spend some time taking lots of non-work photos….things that are for you and you alone. Branch out. See what you capture. BUT I would say you are doing a great job!! Your website is the happiest part of my day. 🙂

1. Well that means the world to me, Lynda! Thank you so much! I’ve been trying to shoot anything besides food the past couple of weeks and it’s certainly helping to inspire. I’ll keep doing it!

20. Catherine M. Roberts says:

Hello pretty lady!
    I have a cockapoo too named Cooper and he is the love of my life! They are amazing dogs! And I could have about 20 of them! I have to tell you I love everything you do and look forward to your email every day – you are a blessed young lady with so many talents! Thank you so much for ALL that you do!

1. Thank YOU Catherine! And too funny that yours is also named Cooper. Great name for the little guys!

21. I’m so jealous that you got to go to the Pinch of Yum workshop! I can’t wait to hear all about it!
    Kari
    www.sweetteasweetie.com

22. I LOVE that you mentioned Licks Unlimited!  I grew up (and still live) in Minnesota, and my brother and I biked to Excelsior to enjoy that ice cream on many a summer day.  I have a soft spot for it.  My go-to flavor when I was young used to be bubble gum (it was blue and came with gum after all!), but now I’m more a dark chocolate / caramel kind of person.  YUM.

Glad you enjoyed your stay in MN!

1. Katherine! I’m eternally jealous of anyone who lives close to that ice cream shop.

23. Everyone gets in creative ruts 🙂

Looking forward to the zucc recipe tomorrow!

24. So great to have you at the workshop Sally! And I am obsessed with the tulip picture!

1. I LOVED the color of the tulips! So fun to shoot!

25. Love your coffee breaks and hearing about your travels. Makes me realize I need to get out more! Those are some really cute shoes, btw 😉 And one super cute puppy! We’ve been trying to find one around here but no luck so far (and we aren’t paying $2000 for one) so we’ll keep looking. We had Prom this weekend and I am one of the lucky junior parents who volunteered to stay up all Saturday night for the after prom event at the school. The kids all had fun so it was worth it 😉 Even though I slept all day yesterday, I’ll be tired all week! Haha 🙂 I didn’t get any baking done yesterday either – I just got my Cookies and Cups cookbook too so I’m anxious to make some of her recipes 🙂 Glad you had a fun trip!

1. Seriously impressive you stayed up through the night, Teija. I don’t think I could do that! You’re going to love Shelly’s cookbook. I can’t put it down!

26. Sally, I love your first book and I love your posts!  I get to feeling in a rut with dinner.  What to make.  Hubby gives me no ideas, so sometimes, when I can’t think of anything to make, I take the night off.  You have been really busy and you should probably rest.  Then you will get new creative ideas.  And you will go, go, go!!!

1. Taking a break usually helps me reset, so you’re totally right Lola. You get it! Thanks so much for the suggestion. Here I go scheduling more breaks into my week!

27. SALLY!  Licks Unlimited has Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream and it’s made in Madison, Wisconsin.  It is seriously one of the best ice creams ever!  My hubby went to school in Madison and when we lived in Iowa we could run up there on weekends and get a scoop (or two!).  I miss that ice cream SO much!  Glad you had the chance to experience such yumminess!

1. I miss it already Dana, so I feel your pain!!

2. Dana,

Good to know we travel over to Madison a few times a year.
      Come to Minnesota and check out Nelson’s Ice Cream in Stillwater. Check their facebook page – OMG is all I will say:)

28. I love coffee break posts!  It keeps it real!

29. Stella Stellicious Life says:

Love reading about what happens in your RL 🙂 (and that 1st photo of you is terrific, you look gorgeous!)

That puppy is too cute for words! I’d cuddle him all day long 😀

I just love all the blossoming trees and fresh tulips, I’d gladly turn my house into a garden and have vases full of fresh flowers everywhere 🙂

1. Thanks for the compliment Stella!!

30. Sally, you are so nice and slender!  How do you do it, with all the baking you do!  I’m so envious!

1. Oh gosh thank you! The baked goods never stay in the house; always giving them away after I taste test for the blog. The healthy stuff? That stays. 🙂

1 2