These simple crispy quinoa patties are so versatile. They’re a great meatless option that even meat eaters will love. Play around with your favorite vegetables and spices. Makes great leftovers!
- 2 and 2/3 cups cooked quinoa
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/3 cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup gluten free whole grain breadcrumbs (or regular)*
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot and zucchini (1/4 cup each veggie)
- 1 Tablespoon oil, plus more as needed
- Combine the quinoa, eggs, salt, and lemon pepper in a large bowl. Stir in the parsley, onion, cheese, and garlic. Stir in the bread crumbs and chopped carrot/zucchini. Let the mixture sit for a few minutes so the crumbs absorb some of the moisture.
- At this point, you should have a mixture you can easily form into 20 thick patties. You want the mixture moist, so the patties aren’t dry tasting. However, you want the mixture to hold together when cooking. You can add more bread crumbs to firm up the mixture, if needed. Alternatively, you can add a couple drops of water to moisten the mixture. *The uncooked quinoa mixture keeps nicely in the refrigerator for a few days. Cover tightly and cook the patties when you have time.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat, add 5-6 patties, cover, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes until the bottoms are deeply browned. Carefully flip the patties with a spatula and cook the second sides for 5 minutes, or until golden. Remove from the skillet and cool on a large plate while you cook the remaining patties. Add more oil to the skillet if needed between each batch.
- Serve plain or in a pita, on a salad, on a sandwich, with sliced avocado, with hot sauce on top, etc etc. There are so many ways to enjoy them!
- Make Ahead & Freezing Instructions: Cooked quinoa patties keep well in the refrigerator for 1 week or in the freezer for two months. A quick few seconds in the microwave will warm them back up to enjoy.
- Update (2015): I’ve successfully made these quinoa patties using 3/4 cup oat flour instead of breadcrumbs!
- Customize These! Use any cheese, veggies, or spices you like best. The finer the veggies are chopped/grated, the easier the patties will stick together. I always pulse them in a food processor. No matter what else I add, I always use onion and garlic because they give so much flavor.
- Recipe adapted from Kerry, who obtained it from Super Natural Every Day: Well-Loved Recipes from My Natural Foods Kitchen By Heidi Swanson.
Keywords: crispy quinoa patties