This is my favorite basic granola bar recipe. Fill them with your favorite add-ins. I love using dark chocolate covered raisins and apricots.
- 1/2 cup loosely packed light or dark brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons solid coconut oil (or cold butter, cut into cubes)
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1 and 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup Dark Chocolate Raisinets (or Milk Chocolate Raisinets, or dark chocolate chips)
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly spray a 8×8 (or 9×9) baking pan with cookie spray. Set aside.
- Combine brown sugar and coconut oil in a medium bowl until crumbly and well mixed. Place in the refrigerator while you prepare the dry ingredients.
- In another medium bowl, mix together, flour, oats, raisinets, apricots, and cinnamon. Remove the sugar/oil mixture form the refrigerator and mix in with the dry ingredients. Add egg whites, applesauce, and vanilla. Lightly stir to combine. Do NOT overmix.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Bake for 15-18 minutes until sides are barely browning. Cool completely before cutting into squares. I waited 1 hour to cut into 16 squares. Bars stay fresh at room temperature for up to 1 week.
- Freezing Instructions: Bars freeze well, up to 2 months.
Keywords: chocolate apricot granola bars