Deep dish apple pie features layers and layers of delicious apple slices and a buttery flaky pie crust!
- Homemade Pie Crust (my recipe makes 2 crusts; 1 for bottom 1 for top)
- 6–7 large apples, cored, peeled, and sliced into 1/4 inch slices (approx 11-12 cups total)*
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (31g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- zest and juice of 1 lemon (2 tsp zest + 2 Tbsp juice)
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon each: ground allspice, ground cloves, & ground nutmeg
- egg wash: 1 large egg beaten with 1 Tablespoon (15ml) milk
- optional: coarse sugar for sprinkling on crust
- The crust: Prepare my pie crust recipe through step 5.
- Make the filling: In a large bowl, stir the apple slices, sugar, flour, lemon zest + juice, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and nutmeg together until thoroughly combined. Set filling aside as the oven preheats. This gives the filling a chance to rest.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C).
- Roll out the chilled pie dough: On a floured work surface, roll out one of the discs of chilled dough (keep the other one in the refrigerator). Turn the dough about a quarter turn after every few rolls until you have a circle 12 inches in diameter. Carefully place the dough into a 9×2 inch pie dish. Tuck it in with your fingers, making sure it is smooth. Spoon the filling into the crust and discard the leftover juices in the bottom of the bowl.
- Finish assembling: Remove the other disc of chilled pie dough from the refrigerator. Roll the dough into a circle that is 12 inches diameter. Carefully lay the dough over the filling. Use a small paring knife to trim off excess dough from the sides. Cut slits in the top to form steam vents. Crimp or flute the edges to seal.
- Lightly brush the top of the pie crust with the egg wash. Sprinkle the top with coarse sugar, if using.
- Place the pie onto a large baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes. Keeping the pie in the oven, turn the temperature down to 375°F (190°C) and bake for an additional 30-35 minutes. After the first 20 minutes of bake time, I place a pie crust shield on top of the pie to prevent the edges from browning too quickly.
- Allow the pie to cool for 3 full hours at room temperature before serving. This time allows the filling to thicken up. Cover leftovers tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Make Ahead / Freezing Instructions: A couple ways to make ahead of time! Make 1 day in advance– after it cools, cover tightly and keep at room temperature. The pie crust dough can also be prepared ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Baked pie also freezes well for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature before serving. Prepared fillings can also be frozen up to 3 months, thaw overnight in the refrigerator before using.
- Special Tools: Pastry Blender | Rolling Pin | Deep Dish Pie Dish | Pastry Brush | Pie Crust Shield