Fudgy brownie cupcakes topped with silky smooth pumpkin cream cheese frosting!
- 4 ounces unsweetened or bittersweet chocolate, chopped (I used Ghirardelli)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 and 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon each: ground ginger, ground cloves, and ground nutmeg (OR 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice)
- 2 – 2.5 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1/4 cup heat-treated all-purpose flour (to thicken, as needed)
- salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 325°F (163°C). Line 12 muffin tins with baking cups or spray with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Make the cupcakes: Melt the chopped chocolate and sliced butter together in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring after each until completely smooth and combined. Allow to cool for a few minutes. Stir in sugar, then vanilla. Add in eggs, 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in the flour and salt.
- Pour batter into 12 muffin tins and bake for 20-25 minutes. Mine took 22 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center will have moist crumbs. Be careful not to overbake the cupcakes.
- While the cupcakes are cooling in the pan, make the pumpkin frosting: Using a handheld or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, mix the cream cheese, butter, pumpkin, and spices on medium speed until creamy. Add the 2-2.5 cups of sifted powdered sugar depending how sweet you’d like it. If frosting is much too thin, add in the flour to thicken it. Add salt to cut the sweetness, if you prefer. Frost cooled cupcakes as desired.
- Frosting: The frosting will not be super thick, but will still spread or pipe well and maintain its shape on the cupcake. I used a Wilton #12 tip for piping.
- Be sure to check out my 10 tips for baking the BEST cupcakes before you begin!
Keywords: fudge cupcakes with pumpkin frosting, fudge brownie cupcakes