Fluffy and piled high, these vanilla iced funfetti buttermilk pancakes are the sweetest way to wake up in the morning!
- 6 Tablespoons (90g) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled (plus more butter for greasing)
- 2 and 1/4 cups (281g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1/3 cup (67g) granulated sugar
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups (480ml) buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract (or to taste)
- 2/3 cup (125g) rainbow sprinkles (not nonpareils)*
- 1/2 cup (60g) confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1–2 Tablespoons (15-30ml) milk
- extra rainbow sprinkles for serving
- Melt the 6 Tablespoons of butter first. Microwave or stovetop – either is fine. Set aside to slightly cool. You absolutely do not want it piping hot.
- In a large bowl, toss the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together until combined. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and almond extracts together until combined. Whisk in the melted butter. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk by hand gently to combine the ingredients. The batter is thick and a few lumps may remain. Very very gently, fold in the rainbow sprinkles using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Taste the batter. If you want to add more almond (or vanilla) extract, go ahead.
- Heat a griddle or skillet over medium heat. Coat generously with butter. Once hot, drop about 1/4 cup of batter on the griddle. Cook until the edges look dry and bubbles begin to form on the sides, about 1 minute. Flip and cook on the other side until cooked through, about 2 more minutes. Coat griddle/skillet again with butter for each pancake or batch of pancakes.
- Keep pancakes warm in a preheated 200°F (93°C) oven until all pancakes are cooked. Quickly whisk the icing ingredients together in a medium bowl until smooth. Start with 1 Tablespoons of milk and add 1 more to thin out, if necessary.
- Serve pancakes immediately with icing and extra sprinkles on top. (Though I love them even without the icing!)
- Make Ahead & Freezing Instructions: Pancakes taste best right after they are made. Pancakes freeze well, up to 2 months. Reheat as desired.
- Buttermilk: Though I typically suggest a DIY buttermilk option using regular milk and vinegar/lemon, I highly recommend real buttermilk. I used low fat buttermilk, but full fat works too. I do not suggest any substitutions. Try using any extra buttermilk in any of these recipes.
- Sprinkles: Use rainbow sprinkles/jimmies. Do not use nonpareils (which are the little balls) – they are prone to bleeding their color no matter how lightly you fold them into batter. I typically buy my sprinkles in bulk from here if you are interested.
- Adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction Cookbook Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes recipe
Keywords: sprinkle pancakes, funfetti pancakes