Easy make-ahead funfetti slice ‘n’ bake cookies are the perfect party dessert! A floured surface is key to help you handle the cookie dough when rolling into logs. The logs of cookie dough must be chilled in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or even up to a few days (or even frozen!) so it’s really easy to just take them out when you need them, slice, and bake the cookies.
- 3/4 cup (170g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2/3 cup (133g) packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sprinkles, plus more for garnish
- optional: coarse sugar for rolling
- 8 ounces (226g) white chocolate, coarsely chopped*
- In a large bowl using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter for 1 minute on medium speed until completely smooth and creamy. Add the brown sugar and beat on medium high speed until fluffy and creamy. Beat in egg, vanilla and almond extracts on high speed. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed, and continue to beat until fully combined.
- Beat in the flour and salt on medium speed until fully combined. The cookie dough will be thick and slightly sticky. Switch to high speed and beat in the sprinkles. Add a little more sprinkles if you’d like a little more (I usually use between 2/3 and 3/4 cup). Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and, with floured hands, divide into two. Shape each half into an 8-inch log, about 2.5 inches in diameter. The measurements don’t have to be exact. Tightly wrap the logs in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours and up to 5 days. Chilling is mandatory for this cookie dough. I always chill mine overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Remove logs from the refrigerator and roll into coarse sugar, if desired. Slice each log into about 12 equally thick cookies and place on baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Bake the cookies for 12-14 minutes or until brown around the edges. Allow to cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheet, then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
- Melt the chopped white chocolate in a double boiler or (carefully!) use the microwave. For the microwave, place the chocolate in a medium heat-proof bowl. Melt in 15 second increments, stirring after each increment until completely melted and smooth. Dip each completely cooled cookie halfway into the chocolate and place onto a parchment or silicone baking mat-lined baking sheet. Top chocolate with extra sprinkles. Place the baking sheet into the refrigerator to help the chocolate set. Once set, enjoy!
- Make Ahead & Freezing Instructions: Cookies stay fresh covered at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Baked and chocolate-dipped cookies freeze well – up to three months. Or you can freeze them without the chocolate and dip/decorate after they thaw out. Cookie dough logs freeze well too, up to three months. Allow the logs to thaw overnight in the refrigerator then continue with step 3.
- Chocolate: Make sure you are using quality, pure chocolate. Not chocolate chips. You can also use bittersweet chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate, or milk instead. Or no chocolate at all! I use Ghirardelli brand white chocolate baking bars (found in the baking aisle).
- Adapted from Toasted Hazelnut Slice ‘n’ Bake Cookies.
Keywords: funfetti slice & bake cookies, sprinkle cookies