Ginger Green Citrus Smoothie (Video)

Simple and refreshing 7 ingredient ginger green citrus smoothie packed with flavor. And it doesn’t taste green!

ginger green citrus smoothie in a glass

Here’s a mid week pick-me-up for you!

How’s your week going? It’s been lonely in the house with the big Christmas tree gone, but I have to admit… I’m sort of loving getting back in the daily grind. I thrive on routine! I’ve shot 10 recipes in only 4 days, which is complete madness. We’re talking 300 pictures and a whole mess of food. Who wants to come over and help eat it all? I have a cake with your name on it. But first, green things.

ginger green citrus smoothie in a glass with a straw

In between all the hustle, I whipped up a new green smoothie. I make smoothies a few times every week, usually recipes that I’ve already shared with you on my blog. But this week I felt inspired to try something new. New year, new week, new smoothie? Something like that. A little fruit here, a little spinach there. I love this ginger green smoothie so much that I have to share it with you. Like, I’m putting all of the other 9 new recipes on hold just so I can show you this smoothie. Am I completely insane?

Don’t answer that.

First thing’s first. There are only 7 ingredients in this simple green smoothie! We’ll start with a frozen banana. I always have bananas in the freezer because they’re the secret to making super thick, creamy, ridiculously smooth…uh, smoothies. Sort of similar to ice cream. It’s miraculous. In case you haven’t tried it before, go grab a banana. Peel it, slice into chunks, and freeze. Your life is about to change.

ingredients for ginger citrus smoothie

We’ve also got an orange for flavor, some lemon for a little zip, apple for sweetness, and almond milk to thin things out. Feel free to use any milk you love, but I always opt for unsweetened vanilla almond milk in smoothies. Almond milk also keeps this smoothie dairy free, if that’s what you’re after!

Also: ginger. I love this stuff. I slice it up and add it to a pitcher of water along with cucumber and lemon slices. Sip it all day long. Talk about refreshing! Try it sometime. Ginger is also completely fantastic in smoothies, especially paired with a little citrus. Its feel-good, fresh flavor shines through and I think you’ll love it here!

Lastly, spinach. Just enough for a powerhouse nutrition punch, but not so much to make this smoothie taste like salad. There is so much flavor from the banana, orange, lemon, apple, and ginger that you won’t even notice the spinach, I swear.

This is a green smoothie for people who don’t like green smoothies.

ginger green citrus smoothie in a bowl with a spoon topped with raspberries, banana slices, and chia seeds

I made it into a trendy smoothie bowl! Just poured it into a bowl and added fresh fruit and chia seeds on top. I used to do this in college with berry smoothies and oats/strawberries on top and now I see all sorts of incredible combinations and smoothie bowl toppings! Smoothie bowls are everything if you’re a texture freak like I am. Kevin called it my bowl of green porridge, by the way. 😕

And look!! I made a video to show you how much I love this green porr… smoothie.

This ginger green citrus smoothie is just what you need for post-holiday healthy eating! If you’re on that bandwagon. If you’re not… here is a giant homemade oatmeal creme pie for you to eat all by yourself. Power to you.

Cheers, smoothie loving friends!

clock clock icon cutlery cutlery icon flag flag icon folder folder icon instagram instagram icon pinterest pinterest icon facebook facebook icon print print icon squares squares icon
ginger green citrus smoothie in a glass

Ginger Green Citrus Smoothie

• Author: Sally
  • Prep Time: 5 minutes
  • Cook Time: 0 minutes
  • Total Time: 5 minutes
  • Yield: 1 smoothie
  • Category: Smoothie
  • Cuisine: American

Description

Simple and refreshing 7 ingredient ginger green citrus smoothie packed with flavor. And doesn’t taste green!

Ingredients

• 1 banana, peeled then frozen*
  • 1/2 apple, sliced
  • 1 orange, peeled and sliced
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 2 big handfuls spinach
  • 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh ginger (or to taste– I use a little more, I love ginger!)
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or any milk)
  • optional for smoothie bowl: the rest of the apple, raspberries, chia seeds, sliced banana

Instructions

1. Make sure you have a strong, powerful blender that will blend up the frozen banana and apple. I like this Ninja or this Vitamix.
  2. Add all of the ingredients to the blender in the order listed. Blend on high for at least 2 minutes or until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the blender as needed.
  3. Serve and enjoy. Store any leftover smoothie covered in the refrigerator for up to 8-10 hours.

Notes

1. Banana: Instead of banana, try using 1/3 cup vanilla Greek yogurt with a couple ice cubes.

Keywords: ginger citrus smoothie, smoothie

Smoothie bowl style.

1. Yay, I’m loving all the healthy January food going around the food blogoshere! This smoothie looks so refreshing and perfect for my Southern Hemisphere summer weather right now. I can’t wait to try this, Sally!

2. Love the whole frozen banana effect. I actually bought that YoNanas machine a couple of years back to make banana “fro yo.” It works! Especially when you add PB and chocolate chips to the mix. 😉
    This is a fantastic smoothie bowl. The ginger is such a cool idea! It feels so soothing.

1. I swear by banana fro-yo, especially in the summer. And with a giant scoop of PB blended in… ahhhhhh.

3. taylor @ Food Faith Fitness says:

The frozen banana totally makes a difference! This smoothie looks right up my alley and bomb! I wish I was sipping on it right now. It is something you could make everyday and feel good and clean about your body afterwards!

1. Susan Urbanski says:

I received a Ninja for Christmas and also trying smoothie recipes but I hadn’t thought about ginger, thanks Sally.

1. Ginger truly adds a kick of flavor. You’ll really like it!

4. Laura ~ Raise Your Garden says:

Ginger! Awesome. Splendid ingredient in this smoothie Sally, helps with so many things….and with the stomach flu raging this year……bleh. Best anti-nausia trick out there though! And smoothies, healthy, yummy, filling, what more can you ask for? I always find that I’m a lazy smoothie maker ~ that is I dread making them but when I do, I’m so glad I did. With a family of 4, sometimes I’ve done “dinner” smoothies and no one complains!

1. Laura ~ Raise Your Garden says:

Ok and I’m making that glowing skin smoothie because at 36 I’m getting both wrinkles and acne simultaneously. uhhhhh!!! Need all the help I can get!!

2. I swear by smoothies. So much goodness all in one drink. And ginger is the KEY. I’m all about it and likely won’t be making smoothies without it… for awhile!!

5. This looks refreshing! Definitely adding this to my list of green smoothies 😀

6. Linda @ Today She Loves says:

Sally, can I use ground ginger if I don’t have the real deal?

7. I am always up for a green smoothie! Love your video!

8. Leah @ Grain Changer says:

Anthony and I are total ginger (and smoothie!) freaks, but somehow I’ve never thought to put the two together. This is genius! Thanks Sally!!

9. This looks delicious Sally & love the gorgeous color too!! I love ginger in almost everything!!

10. Catherine Smith says:

Your video is adorable! I love how the blender “walks” to the center of the video. 🙂 And i’ll totally take you up on your offer to eat cake with you!!

1. That blender part is totally my favorite 🙂

11. Madeline @ Teen's Tasty Eats says:

This smoothie looks absolutely INCREDIBLE!! What I love about green smoothies most is that you can sneak your veggies in but still have it taste like fruit! Gourgeous color too! Love the video Sally! I’ll have to try this like ASAP!

– Madeline<3

12. Serene @ House of Yumm says:

Such a fun smoothie! Love the use of ginger! An ingredient I need to use more of. Plus your video is super cute! Love the blender shuffling on over to you 🙂

1. Haha the blender “dancing” is my favorite part!

13. Stella @ Stellicious Life says:

Happy New Year Sally! 🙂

We still have our tree, I try to hang onto it for as long as I can, I’m the kind of Christmasaholic, who wouldn’t mind if Christmas were around for 3 months or so ;-p

This green smoothie looks so summery, and I especially love how vibrant the colours are, gorgeous! 😀

14. Ellen @ My Uncommon Everyday says:

I, too, thrive on routine… and I’d love to make this smoothie part of my routine! Looks amazing! 😀

15. Natalie Munroe says:

Your frozen banana trick changed my life– and saved many a wayward banana, lemme just add. I’ve been freezing those bad boys ever since! I’m just curious: when you shoot those fun videos, do you shoot them AS videos, or do you take a bunch of still shots and compile them together somehow? At the end, when the bowl appears with one piece of fruit added at a time (but no hand is seen actually adding them), I’m just imagining you painstakingly placing each slice of fruit on top of the green porridge/smoothie and then pausing to take a picture, then adding another, then snapping a pic, then adding another, and so on, and then splicing them together at the end. In which case, it would probably take you an hour to shoot a 30 second video! Good thing you have that nice smoothie treat to eat up at the end of your work session!

1. Hey Natalie! It’s actually a video I shoot, not a billion pictures. I can’t imagine how stressful that would be! It was only 8 minutes to shoot the whole thing, but setting up for the video (light, camera, props) and all the editing is where it’s the most challenging!

16. Let’s say you’re a crazy person, and you don’t like bananas. (thats me, I don’t like them…), could you sub mangos in or some other frozen fruit?

1. Hey Blair! You can also use yogurt and ice– see my recipe notes! Frozen mango would be amazing here too.

17. Mary @ LOVE the secret ingredient says:

I’ve seen a few delicious smoothie bowls lately that are just screaming at me to make them. This is definitely one to add to the list!

18. Love the healthy recipes! Any time of year!

19. YUM! I was ready to make this right now, but then I was like….”Oh. I have to freeze the bananas.” Popping them in the freezer right now, and I’ll be making this tomorrow…..and eating it in a smoothie bowl. >:) So classy…..

20. Green smoothies usually turn me off but I think the way you put it in a bowl with fruit on top made it look more appealing.
    Yay for healthy foods! 🙂

21. Elaine @ FoodParsed says:

This smoothie looks super healthy and delicious, and I love frozen bananas in smoothies. My blender isn’t very good, so I’d probably substitute applesauce for the apples to avoid large chunks. Also, the video was super adorable. The catchy music and pretty colors made me very happy.

1. I’m glad you liked the video Elaine, thanks!

22. Laura | The Kiwi Country Girl says:

I am obsessing over green smoothies at the moment…I love how green this one is!!

23. Hey Sally, so excited for your video channel! Naturally, i subscribed right away! However, when I click you channel it says there are no videos although I can see the smoothie video from here (sba.com). Also, i can’t leave comments on the video. Is this correct? Anyway, love to see more videos from you. They’re so cute ^^

1. All of my videos will be home on my blog! I’m waiting to build up a channel when I have plenty more. Thank you!

24. Michelle @ Modern Acupuncture says:

Love the video! Would love to see more of those 🙂 Very fun to watch. I love the addition of orange, lemon and ginger! I basically make this smoothie, but without those items added; can’t wait to try them!

1. I plan to shoot more and more videos– working on some for the coming weeks! Thanks Michelle!

25. I love smoothies, especially after a workout. Love this one because it has apples in it.

26. Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry says:

I have to admit, I haven’t drank a green smoothie or any smoothie since winter has set in. I’m more of a hot chocolate girl when the temps dip, but this recipes looks so refreshing and healthy.

27. Love the video. So fun and bouncy. Never really thought about using ginger in anything other than an occasional Chinese recipe so then I am always left with a big hunk of moldy ginger that I’ve wasted. Can’t wait to try ginger slices in water. Hope it might help,with stomache aches.

1. I drink the ginger water whenever my stomach is upset, for sure. Glad you enjoyed the video Jamie, thanks!

28. Amy @ Thoroughly Nourished Life says:

I’m all about mango smoothies at the moment! My parents have a mango tree in their backyard and big, thick homegrown mango smoothies are just what long hot summer days call for. I think there might be some room for a ginger green citrus smoothie too though 🙂 What a great combination and I love your colourful green porridge 🙂

1. Hahahaha I can’t get over the green porridge.

29. Thanks for the great smoothie recipes! I picked up a new Professional Blender today at Aldi of all places. For only $79.99 it is supposed to work similar to a Vitamix! I was told it has a 90 day return policy to the store and a 5 year warranty so I figured nothing to lose with it. I made your glowing smoothie tonight and it worked great and we all loved your smoothie recipe!
    Tomorrow morning I am going to make this green citrus smoothie recipe.
    The whole wheat apple muffins you posted also sound amazing–we are definitely trying to jump on the healthy eating train with the new year and new recipes are so appreciated 🙂

1. Glad you’re loving the healthier recipes these days, Nicole– thanks! And WHAT a great deal on that blender.

30. Eliza @ FlourPowerGirls says:

Hey Sally! This looks absolutely delicious! can’t wait to make some for breakfast tomorrow. However, we are currently out of spinach! Could I use kale instead, or would it get too bitter?
    Thanks for all the great posts!

1. Kale should be just fine.

2. I have been making my smoothies with ginger every morning for the past two years and I would not think to be without it! I’m glad I not the only one! Thank you Sally! Kale instead of spinach is just as good, if you are worried about the bitterness, some orange/slices of lemon and/or a few raspberries cancels it out. Just be careful with kale ribs as they are quite tough, I usually remove them. It is also great to add some beet, carrot, celery, cucumber, bell peppers, and especially parsley (very good for you)! I am a smoothie freak so I will put everything into one for my daily dose of veggies with a very small amount of fruit to cancel out any potential bitterness. If you are brave and want some spice, some jalapeno, a clove of garlic and or pinch of cayenne is very good! I am not a fan of juicing, too much sugar but I cannot live without making my smoothies in the morning! I get busy and don’t always have time to make enough veggies, so this makes sure I get enough each day. Any after is just another win! Sorry so long of a comment, I get excited about this stuff!!!

1 2