Bright, flavorful, incredibly moist, and tender orange bundt cake!
- 3 cups (300g) sifted cake flour* (spoon & leveled)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (230g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 and 2/3 cups (333g) granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- zest from 2 oranges (about 2 packed Tablespoons)
- juice from 2 oranges (about 1/2 cup fresh juice)
- 3/4 cup (180ml) buttermilk, at room temperature*
Easy Orange Glaze
- 1 and 1/4 cups (150g) sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 2–3 Tablespoons (30-45ml) fresh orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Lower the oven rack to the lower third position and preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Spray the inside of a 10 inch bundt pan with nonstick spray or grease thoroughly with butter. Set aside.
- Make the cake: Whisk the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda together. Set aside.
- Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on high speed until smooth and creamy – about 1 minute. Add the sugar and beat on high speed for 2 minutes until creamed together. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Add the eggs and the vanilla. Beat on medium-high speed until combined. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl as needed. Beat in the orange zest and juice. With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients in three additions alternating with the buttermilk and mixing each addition just until incorporated. Do not overmix. The batter will be slightly thick.
- Pour/spoon the batter evenly into the bundt pan. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Cover the cake loosely with aluminum foil if you begin to see the top browning quickly. Once done, remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes inside the pan.
- Invert the slightly cooled bundt cake onto a wire rack set over a large plate or serving dish. Allow cake to cool before glazing and serving.
- Make the glaze: Whisk the confectioners’ sugar, 2 Tablespoons of orange juice, and vanilla together. It will be very thick. Whisk in 1 or more Tablespoons of juice, depending how thick you’d like the glaze. Drizzle over cake. Slice and serve.
- Make Ahead & Freezing Instructions: Prepare cake through step 5. Cover the cake tightly and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze up to 2 months. Bring to room temperature, make the glaze, and serve.
- Cake Flour: Sift cake flour before measuring. If you can’t get your hands on cake flour, use this cake flour substitute.
- Buttermilk: I strongly recommend using real buttermilk in this recipe. In a pinch, you can use DIY soured milk. To do so, simply add 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of white vinegar or fresh lemon juice to a liquid measuring cup and enough whole or 2% milk to reach 3/4 cup. Allow mixture to sit for 5 minutes, then use in the recipe. Lower fat or nondairy milks work in a pinch, but the cake won’t taste as rich and moist.
- Loaf Cake: Instead of baking in a bundt pan, you can bake in two 9×5 inch loaf pans. The bake time for each will be about 45-50 minutes at 350°F (177°C).
- Bundt Pan: Here’s my favorite bundt pan! (affiliate link)
- Adapted from Make it Ahead by Ina Garten.
Keywords: orange bundt cake