Here’s how to make homemade frosted doughnuts 3 different ways. Vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry frosting recipes included!
- 1 batch basic homemade doughnuts without the glaze*
- 3 Tablespoons (43g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 and 1/2 cups (180g) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons (45ml) milk
- 3/4 cup (135g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 Tablespoons (30g) unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 5 large strawberries
- 1 and 3/4 cups (210g) confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon strawberry jam or preserves
Prepare the doughnuts according to the recipe and directions. Set aside as you prepare the frosting.
Vanilla frosting: Whisk the melted butter, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla extract, salt, and 2 Tablespoons (30ml) of milk together in a medium bowl. Whisk in the remaining 1 Tablespoon (15ml) of milk to thin, if desired. It’s easier to dip the doughnuts if the glaze is thinner. Dip the doughnuts into the vanilla frosting, then cover with sprinkles.
Chocolate frosting: Place the chocolate chips, butter, corn syrup, and water in a medium bowl. Melt in 20 second increments in the microwave, stirring after each time, until completely melted and smooth. Dip the doughnuts into the chocolate frosting, then cover with sprinkles.
Strawberry frosting: Puree the strawberries in a food processor. Whisk the puree, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla extract, and strawberry jam together in a medium bowl. Dip the doughnuts into the strawberry frosting 2 or 3 times (it’s thinner than the others), then cover with sprinkles.
- Baked Donuts: Instead of frying doughnuts, you can make these baked donuts. Just leave off the cinnamon-sugar topping. You’ll have a little extra frosting if using the baked donuts recipe (which makes 8), but if you double the baked donut recipe (to make 16) you will certainly have enough frosting for each.
- Quantity: Each frosting recipe is enough for the 12 fried doughnuts and doughnut holes from my basic homemade doughnuts recipe. If you want to make all 3 frostings for the 12 doughnuts, you will have some of each frosting leftover. You can always halve each frosting recipe if you do it that way. Or you can double the doughnut recipe to make more doughnuts!
- Reference my Baking with Yeast Guide for answers to common yeast FAQs.
Keywords: frosted doughnuts, doughnuts