Before we begin a new year of Sally’s Baking Challenge, let’s take a moment to appreciate all the hard work and effort you put into participating this year. From homemade bagels and truffles to vertical cake and caramel apples, you truly challenged yourself in 2019. I’m absolutely FLOORED with the amount of participation each month!
Thank you so much for making the monthly baking challenges so much fun!!!
2019 Sally’s Baking Challenge Review
Click on each link to view the challenge recipe.
- January: Homemade Bagels
- February: Chocolate Truffles
- March: Lemon Bars
- April: Dinner Rolls
- May: Scones
- June: Angel Food Cake
- July: No Bake Cheesecake Jars
- August: Vertical Cake
- September: Homemade Cheese Bread
- October: Caramel Apples
- November: Pumpkin Praline Pie
- December: Butter Cookies
There were over 6,000 participants this year and Butter Cookies had the most! 2 cakes, 3 yeast recipes, candies, breakfast, pie, and a jar recipe– talk about a wide selection!
JANUARY BAKING CHALLENGE
January 2020 Baking Challenge: Homemade Artisan Bread
I love starting the new year with a yeast bread challenge! These challenges push you outside of your comfort zone and, usually, the general feedback is “this is way easier than I thought!” For example, homemade bagels and cheese bread. This January we’re focusing on a staple bread recipe that I simply call “artisan bread.” Shaped into a longer loaf or a boule (round loaf), this no knead bread requires only 4 ingredients and zero special equipment. No dutch oven or special pan needed.
Everyone who participates in the January Baking Challenge is automatically entered. See below for How to Join Sally’s Baking Challenge. My assistant and I keep track of your photos and randomly select 1 winner at the end of the month. This giveaway is open to the whole world. Giveaway ends on January 30th 2020 at 5pm ET.
1 winner will receive: $250 Amazon Gift Card. Winner will be selected at random and posted in the February Baking Challenge blog post on January 31st 2020.
How to Join Sally's Baking Challenge
- Recipe: On or around the 1st of each month, I publish a new challenge recipe. Sign up for Sally’s Baking Challenge emails so you’re alerted as soon as a new challenge recipe is published!
- Bake & Comment: Bake the recipe during that month.
- Share: Share your recipe photo using #sallysbakingchallenge and tagging me (@sallysbakeblog) on your public Instagram or Twitter. (Instagram direct messages are hard to track, so please email me your recipe photo instead.) You can also email me your recipe photo or upload your recipe photo to my Facebook page or Facebook group. By sharing your photo with me, you are automatically entered in the giveaway. For a bonus entry, leave a review on the challenge recipe.
Want to subscribe? Sign up for Sally’s Baking Challenge emails so you’re alerted as soon as a new challenge recipe is published.
Let’s Review the December Baking Challenge
December Baking Challenge: Homemade Butter Cookies
The most participants in ANY baking challenge recipe since its introduction in February 2017! 🙂 These butter cookies are a homemade version of a Danish classic. Shaped with a piping tip and decorated with sugar, sprinkles, chocolate, and/or cherries, these cookies were EVERYWHERE in December. Prone to over-spreading, though, this wasn’t exactly the easiest challenge recipe. Taking the extra steps to use the right tools and chill the shaped dough proved that even easy-sounding recipes require attention and precision.
One of my favorite comments came from reader Laurie:
“These cookies are really easy to make and so delicious! They are perfectly buttery and crumbly- great with coffee or hot chocolate. I highly recommend dipping them in melted chocolate and adding the sprinkles! Thanks, Sally- another awesome recipe!”
Giveaway winner for December is Jessica and she has been notified. 🙂