Follow this tutorial for a beautiful lattice pie crust topping. Watch the video tutorial above and read through all my tips before beginning.
- Homemade Pie Crust (or use my all butter pie crust)
- all-purpose flour for work surface
- egg wash: 1 large egg beaten with 1 Tablespoon (15ml) milk
- coarse sugar for sprinkling on crust
- Watch the video tutorial above for a visual of each step. (Latticing is better seen than explained!)
- Make dough in advance: Prepare pie dough through step 5. Chill in the refrigerator overnight.
- After you roll out the bottom crust and fill your pie, it’s time to lattice. On a lightly floured surface with a floured rolling pin, roll out top pie crust into a 12-inch circle. It’s ok if it’s not a perfect circle, as long as it’s 12 inches in diameter.
- Cut dough into strips. To keep things simple, I recommend 12 1-inch strips.
- Lay 6 strips vertically and evenly spaced on top of the filled pie. Use the longer strips in the center of the pie and the shorter strips on the ends.
- Fold every other strip (3 in total) all the way back so they’re almost falling off of the pie. Lay one of the 6 unused strips perpendicular on top. Unfold the 3 vertical strips back so they lay over the perpendicular strip. You have 5 strips left.
- Fold the other 3 vertical strips back. Lay one of the 5 unused strips perpendicular on top. Unfold the 3 vertical strips back so they lay over the perpendicular strip. You’re now beginning to see the beautiful woven pattern!
- Repeat with last 4 strips, weaving the strips over and under one another.
- Fold the excess dough that lays over the edges of the pie back and pinch them with the bottom pie crust to seal. Flute the edges of the pie, then brush with egg wash and sprinkle with a little coarse sugar. This adds a lovely sparkle and crunch!
- Refrigerate unbaked pie for 30 minutes prior to baking. This is an often overlooked step, but cold dough is guaranteed to hold the lattice shape.
- Bake the pie as directed in your recipe. I recommend my deep dish apple pie.
Keywords: pie crust, apple pie