Lemon strawberry crumb bars bring some blissful sunshine inside with a buttery crust and topping, fresh strawberries, and sweet lemon glaze!
- 3 cups (375g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (230g) unsalted butter, very cold and cubed
- 1 cup (200g) packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk*
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups (650g) chopped strawberries*
- 1/3 cup (67g) granulated sugar
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1 and 1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup (120g) confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 2 Tablespoons (30ml) fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Line a 9×13 inch pan pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on the sides to lift the finished bars out of the pan as a whole. This makes cutting easier.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together. Add the butter and cut in with a pastry cutter or pulse in a food processor until pea-sized crumbs form. See photo above for a visual.
- Whisk the brown sugar, egg, egg yolk, and vanilla together. Pour into the flour/butter mixture and mix it all together by hand. I find using a spoon or rubber spatula to take much longer. Your hands are quicker and more effective! Press 2/3 of this mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Make sure it is very tight and compact.
- Mix the strawberries, granulated sugar, lemon zest, and cornstarch together until combined. Spoon evenly over crust. Crumble the remaining butter/flour mixture on top and gently press down so it’s snug on the strawberry layer.
- Bake for 42-50 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and the strawberry filling is bubbling on the sides. Remove from the oven and place the pan on a wire rack. Allow to cool completely. I stick mine in the refrigerator to speed up the cooling process.
- Whisk the glaze ingredients together and drizzle on top (or you can drizzle on individual squares). Lift the cooled bars out using the overhang on the sides. Cut into squares.
- Leftovers keep well in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Make Ahead Instructions: Prepare the bars 1-3 days in advance and store covered tightly in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Bars can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
- Eggs: You’ll need 1 whole egg + an extra egg yolk.
- Strawberries: This is about 1 and 1/2 – 2 lbs whole strawberries.
- Smaller Batch: If a 9×13 pan is too much, you can easily halve the recipe in a 9×9 pan. And, if you do that, just use 1 egg instead of 1 egg + egg yolk. Bake at 350°F (177°C) for 35-37 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and the filling is bubbling on the sides.
Keywords: crumb bars, lemon strawberry