Enjoy these easy lightened up pumpkin spice bars.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (spoon & leveled)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (canned or fresh)
- 1/4 cup milk (dairy or nondairy)
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted (or melted coconut oil)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line an 8×8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper or spray with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, whole wheat flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until fully combined. Set aside. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, brown sugar, and pumpkin together until combined. Add the milk, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until *just* combined. Do not overmix.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely and then cut into 12 squares.
- Cover and store leftover bars for up to 3 days at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Freezing Instructions: These bars freeze wonderfully– freeze them for up to 2-3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before enjoying.
- Spices: You can replace the cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves with store-bought or homemade pumpkin pie spice. You could also replace just the nutmeg, ginger, and cloves with pumpkin pie spice and leave the cinnamon in the recipe.
Keywords: healthy pumpkin spice bars, light pumpkin spice bars