Salty pretzels covered in caramel and topped with your favorite candies. These loaded caramel dipped pretzels are kid-friendly, perfect for gift-giving and bake sales, and satisfy your salty/sweet tooth!
- 1 cup homemade salted caramel (the full recipe)
- 18 large pretzel rods
- 2 cups assorted toppings (crushed M&Ms, nuts, mini chocolate chips, sprinkles, Heath bar, etc)
- Make the salted caramel and allow it to thicken and cool for 20 minutes.
- While cooling, get your toppings ready. Place each into separate bowls.
- Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- Once caramel has cooled, hold each pretzel rod by one end and dip the pretzel into the caramel, swirling it around to get it coated well. Shake of any excess caramel. Immediately sprinkle toppings onto pretzel, twirling the pretzel to get all sides covered. Do this over a plate to catch any extras.
- Place pretzels onto prepared baking sheet to allow the caramel to set, about 15 minutes. I rotated them every 2 minutes so they didn’t end up with a completely flat side.
- Cover and store leftovers at room temperature for 2-3 days. In hot months, store pretzels in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- Tip: Avoid rolling the caramel pretzels into the toppings. The warm caramel will melt the toppings and create a huge mess. Instead, sprinkle the toppings on the pretzels as shown in the video.
- Caramel: Interested in regular caramel instead of salted caramel? For regular sweet caramel, simply reduce the salt to 1/2 teaspoon in the salted caramel recipe.
Keywords: caramel dipped pretzels