Swirly, twirly, fudgy, minty, cheesecake goodness. I love these decadent mint chocolate brownies!
Sally’s Fudge Brownies
- 1/2 cup (1 stick or 115g) salted butter
- 8 ounces coarsely chopped semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 and 1/4 cups (250g) granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (95g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Mint Cheesecake Layer
- 8 ounces (224g) cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract*
- 2 drops liquid or gel green food coloring*
- 2/3 cup (120g) mini chocolate chips
- Adjust the oven rack to the lower third position and preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Line the bottom and sides of an 11 x 7 inch baking pan with aluminum foil, leaving an overhang on all sides. Set aside. Set out 8 ounces of cream cheese for the cheesecake layer and allow to soften as you prepare the brownies.
- Make the brownies first: Melt butter and semi-sweet chocolate in a medium saucepan on medium heat, stirring constantly (about 6 minutes). Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature (about 15 minutes). You may also stick the chocolate/butter mixture into the refrigerator to cool to room temperature quicker.
Stir sugar into cooled chocolate/butter mixture until combined. Add in the eggs one at a time, whisking until smooth after each addition. Whisk in the vanilla. Gently fold in the flour and salt. Pour batter into prepared pan, reserving 1/4 cup of batter.
- Make the cheesecake swirl: With a hand-held mixer on medium speed, beat the softened cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar, egg yolk, 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract, and 2 drops of food coloring in a medium bowl until completely smooth – about 1 minute. Manually stir in the mini chocolate chips. Dollop spoonfuls of the cream cheese mixture on top of the prepared brownie batter. Cover with the last 1/4 cup of brownie batter. Glide a knife through the layers, creating a swirl pattern. Add more mini chocolate chips on top, if desired.
- Bake brownies for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out almost clean. Check them at the 30 minute mark to be sure. Allow brownies to cool completely before cutting into squares. Brownies stay fresh stored in the refrigerator for 1 week.
- Freezing Instructions: Brownies freeze well up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
- Peppermint Extract: Taste the mint cheesecake mixture after you mix it – if it needs more peppermint flavor, add 1 more drop of peppermint extract. If you’d like it to be a brighter green, add more food coloring.
Keywords: mint cheesecake swirl brownies